Coyote edge 650b Halfords

letchste

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 23, 2017
could anyone advise if the coyote edge650 b from Halfords strong enough to get 15-16 stone commuter up a 1 in 5 hill. Also how good batttery is at holding a charge. I only have a budget of a thousand so ticks a few boxes many thanks!

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
May be worth having a look at Woosh bikes. They have some good bikes in your price range which could be suitable

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
You'll want a bike that is a good hill climber to get a rider of your weight up a 1 in 5 hill. The Coyote Edge 650B looks to have one of the lower powered 120mm hub motors and as such will have much poorer climbing ability than a bike such as the Woosh Big Bear that has the 180mm BPM motor. I am the owner of a Woosh Big Bear and it is a very strong hill climber. It is within your budget also. Some other bikes with an equivalent motor include all the Ezee bikes, and the Kudos Arriba and Kudos Tornado which are within your budget also.

You may also be interested in a crank drive bike such as the Woosh Krieger. These have the motor near the bottom bracket, and have better hill climbing ability that hub drive bikes because the motor propels the chain and can use the chain in low gears to provide higher torque at lower speeds. However, crank drive bikes come with significant drawbacks, and are often less fun to ride as you always need to be conscious of being in the correct gear at any one moment in time.

letchste

Mar 23, 2017
May be worth having a look at Woosh bikes. They have some good bikes in your price range which could be suitable
Thanks for this would like to get this bike but they don't accept my cycle to work scheme unfortunately thanks tho

letchste

Mar 23, 2017
You'll want a bike that is a good hill climber to get a rider of your weight up a 1 in 5 hill. The Coyote Edge 650B looks to have one of the lower powered 120mm hub motors and as such will have much poorer climbing ability than a bike such as the Woosh Big Bear that has the 180mm BPM motor. I am the owner of a Woosh Big Bear and it is a very strong hill climber. It is within your budget also. Some other bikes with an equivalent motor include all the Ezee bikes, and the Kudos Arriba and Kudos Tornado which are within your budget also.

You may also be interested in a crank drive bike such as the Woosh Krieger. These have the motor near the bottom bracket, and have better hill climbing ability that hub drive bikes because the motor propels the chain and can use the chain in low gears to provide higher torque at lower speeds. However, crank drive bikes come with significant drawbacks, and are often less fun to ride as you always need to be conscious of being in the correct gear at any one moment in time.
Thanks for the helpful reply will look into these bikes I need to find a retailer who will accept my cycle to work scheme that stick these. Thanks again

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Your test hill is 20 percent which is steep.

Much will depend on how much effort you can put in, but it could be a struggle grinding up that on the Halfords bike not least because it doesn't appear to have a particularly low first gear.

You might be better off looking for something with a triple ring at the front.

The Halfords bike is also built (down) to a price.

Crappy seven speed freewheel gears, and generally low rent components.

If you are routinely riding in challenging conditions and/or plan to do a lot of miles, it would be worth thinking if there's any way you can up the budget.