Cracked nipples on spoke (ooer)

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I got the Wisper spokes tensioned after 300 miles by an reputable local bike mechanic as per warranty agreement, and have had no problems since then, other than having to tighten up a couple of loose spokes (very small increments, listening for the right sound as advised here).

After nearly 3000 miles, I noticed the wheel is becoming noisier at fast speeds, and went to tighten them up.. however they are already very tight and I have noticed that at least one the nipple is starting to crack (hence the noise...). The wheel however remains true and otherwise the spokes appear to be in order.

I have emailed Norman about this and will get the bike back into the mechanic asap, but what should I have done here? do the entire spokes have to be replaced, or just the nipples? When the warranty eventually runs out, where on earth do you get 13g spokes and nipples from and does anyone know what are their dimensions are? (this is a 905SE City with rear hub motor)

Last edited:

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I have noticed that a few of the spokes on my 905 are at such an acute angle that they are causing the nipples to crack.

I replaced the damaged nipples when I last straigtened the wheel but there are a few showing the cracking again.

I am not overly worried as it is just the upper sleeve that is cracked and the spokes are still about right and the wheel is still straight.

And I am sure that Wisper will continue to supply parts when the warranty expires.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Oh, God, I hate cracked nipp.... oh! Hang on, SPOKE nipples!

Vikki (muttering something about learning to read properly before jumping in feet first).

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I have noticed that a few of the spokes on my 905 are at such an acute angle that they are causing the nipples to crack.

I replaced the damaged nipples when I last straigtened the wheel but there are a few showing the cracking again.
I hadn't heard from Norman yet so took the bike into the mechanic today (he is at present one of the few mechanics who will work on e-bikes in this area and would be away from the workshop this weekend), and he said exactly the same thing about the angle and this is apparently because the hub motor is very large.

he has replaced the dodgy ones and re-tensioned / trued the rear wheel. I still have some creaking spokes (when riding at full power) which is what I am trying to get rid of, but they still feel to be the right tension and the wheel is perfect for trueness - better than it was before (although it wasn't more than 1.5 mm out)

Wheels and spokes are the one bit of bike mechanics I still have difficultly with so I guess I will live with this unless someone knows how to get rid of the noise, which may be caused by something else?

The mechanic also said that there is a type of rim which avoids this angle problem on large hubs, and that spoke nipples and key dimensions are often different than what they should be according to the labelling. (he keeps no less than 20 different spoke keys!).

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Still waiting for the spares to arrive but I expect they will be there next week, but I am back on the road as managed to get 13g nipples.. Incidentally I measured the existing 13g nipples on the Wisper Alex rims with a digital caliper, these are 3.7mm - (which means the 3 way Park tools spoke key wasn't the best fit) but the 13g ones the mechanic supplied are 3.9mm (blue Park tools spoke key which I will also have to get...

MAB

Pedelecer
May 12, 2010
Cycle City UK aka Cambridge
Seems like it was a week for loose/cracked nipples! Yesterday on my way to work I heard a new noise from the Alpino, I'm starting to get used to the somewhat noisy motor but, the twanging (best way I can describe it!) noise that started as I pulled away from a standstill had me worried!

Sure enough, after the finger tuning fork went around all the spokes...........culprit found! One loose spoke!! Now, was it a trip to buy a nipple/spoke tightener to my LBS or should I trawl around work asking the many avid cyclist's if they had the required item? After a while and no luck but, many interested people discussing the pros and cons of e-bikes (I have not had a negative comment about the Alpino yet! Lot's of admiring looks and dare I say it? Drooling?) my friend in the adjacent workshop said "I can make you one!" Thanks Doug!

Incidentally I measured the existing 13g nipples on the Wisper Alex rims with a digital caliper, these are 3.7mm - (which means the 3 way Park tools spoke key wasn't the best fit) but the 13g ones the mechanic supplied are 3.9mm (blue Park tools spoke key which I will also have to get...
So it would seem that Wisper spokes are non-standard? :confused:

Anyway, result!....... I have a tool that works. Apologies for my photographic skills.:eek:

Regards,

Mike.

Attachments

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I don't think Wisper alone are to blame.

The mechanic said he had over the years (and he has been working since 1979) he regularly encountered this problem, he had collected 20 different spoke keys and that there was considerable variation in dimensions/tolerances of spoke nipples on every bike.

Last edited:

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
a bunch of spares arrived today :) .. will be on the look out for better dimensioned spoke keys...

Seen a "O" shaped one sold in a few places with 10-15 gauge. Anyone know what dimensions in mm these equate to?

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
I've got the ring shaped one and one of the sizes on there is a perfect fit for Wisper spokes.

Vikki.