Crank drive engine life

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Bit of a broad question!

Do you have a specific use case for which you'd like recommendations?

Most of the bikes I come into contact with here are mid-drives, a mix of Shimano, Bosch and Yamaha, but most don't do many miles, so unless dropped in a canal will probably last many years. No motor issues with any of them so far.

If you look on ebay at secondhand mid-drive bikes often the same is true: 1,000 miles or fewer per year, so likely to last well if looked after.

My own bike is an outlier, no issues at 22,600km.

• Agree
Reactions: flash

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my bosch gen 10 had over 1000 miles on it b4 it needed a service and got a cx motor upgrade instead ;)

if ebike motor center wont service it then dont buy it esp shitmano! that just needs going down the tip :oops:

they are also the brose service centre from oct for the uk so any warranty problems and motors go to him at fkn last :p

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
There was a period when Bosch CX motors were struggling for 2000 miles. I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of improvements on later ones, so probably a lot better now. Most crank motors don't like water and mud or sand. If you only use them in the dry, there's a good chance that they last a very long time.

The main problems with OEM crank motors are their lack of serviceability and cost of replacement. After-market ones (kits) are very variable. Some give problems quite quickly, and others last a lot longer.

All of them are getting better all the time from the reliability point of view. They've only really been developed in the last 10 years, and there was a bit of a learning curve for the manufacturers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bikes4two

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my gen 2 cx motor was custom built for me to try to kill it and even if i do brake it i can get it rebuilt for free :p

peter is motor master :cool:

Deno

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2018
Dublin
I had 19,000km on my Bosch Gen 2 CX when the main bearing collapsed. I had it rebuilt by Ebike motor centre in late 2020 and its just ticked over 30,000km. The only other failures have been the motor to battery harness and a well used and abused battery. The bike is de-restricted and in daily use so it not been an easy life but pretty astonishing reliability.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
From posts here I think there used to be a lot of problems with the built in controllers on Bafang BBS01 /02 s
Not sure, but not heard of problems with recent versions. For kit bikes you are potentially putting a lot more power through the chain drive / rear cassette than a human could possibly do, so potentially increasing wear on chain / rear cassette compared to an analogue bike.