Crank drive performance

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
I'm considering a eMTB at the moment, and though it's pushing my budget I've looked at bikes with the following motors:

Bosch CX
Yamaha PW-X
Brose
Shimano E8000

From what I can gather the main features are:

Bosch - most well proven and common, I've owned an older Bosch bike myself and never had any issues with it. Allegedly lowest torque but see below.

Yamaha - slightly more torque than Bosch and more responsive at startup. However the battery is very large physically and more expensive than Bosch batteries.

Brose - Claims the highest torque of all. Brose bikes seem to have the battery in the tube, but Brose don't make their own batteries, meaning future proprietary batteries. Some complaints the motor take a while to start up, a full crank rotation. A significant issue on a technical off-road climb.

Shimano - Newest, I don't really know a lot about it. I've had a test ride on their earlier motor and it was Ok. Potential for Di2 integration but I'm not convinced I want Di2.

So then I was watching YouTube videos on all these (not much on the Shimano) and I found a German video directly comparing the Bosch, Yamaha and Brose and the Bosch, with the fattest rider aboard, destroyed the others. Easily. He did seem to have a chain drop though. I can't speak German though so couldn't hear their conclusions.

Here's a link to that video:

Opinions?

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't forget about the Bafang Max-drive. You can program it yourself for speed and power up to 22 amps, which would be 10% more than any of the others. All the parts are readily available and you can use any battery you want.

Reactions: cyclebuddy

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Don't forget about the Bafang Max-drive. You can program it yourself for speed and power up to 22 amps, which would be 10% more than any of the others. All the parts are readily available and you can use any battery you want.

Thanks but I've not seen any decent manufacturers speccing the Bafang. I'm sure it's very good, had three of their hub motors and never had a problem with any.

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks but I've not seen any decent manufacturers speccing the Bafang. I'm sure it's very good, had three of their hub motors and never had a problem with any.
There's a few around, Freego Martin for example.

Reactions: Streethawk

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Thanks, kinds ruled out the Shimano as it's not well enough proven. The more I read the more it seems to confirm to me that Bosch is still the best choice, for me at least.

D

Deleted member 4366

Today, there's probably more bikes being sold with the Shimano motor than the Bosch. Bike manufacturers certainly seem to have confidence in it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
value for money, the Bafang MaxDrive is the best.

I have the MaxDrive 48V on one of my bikes. £1399.

Reactions: cyclebuddy

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
value for money, the Bafang MaxDrive is the best
As d8veh also says in his earlier post here, it's the versatility of the MaxDrive that appeals most to me: It would grate with me to not only pay a premium to buy a Bosch (or Yamaha) drive, but to then be locked in to buying overpriced batteries/chargers, extended wait times for repair, and paying extra to tinker by using third-party dongles - to derestrict, tailor settings... and even then, having paid through the nose, your display is (most often) still showing wrong information.

Buying a Bosch CD seems to me to be akin to buying a speed and power-restricted BMW with the bonnet welded shut - you can't even change the oil or top-up coolant without permission far less attempt any minor adjustment or repair. With Bafang, not only do they enable you to freely tinker with virtually anything, the tools to do so are readily available (i.e. the cable and software to program the thing)l

I've had hub-drive bikes hauling my 115kg lard-arse a few miles along a level road and physically smoking... the 36v MaxDrive on my Greenway hauls may fat arse up some seriously steep inclines with power to spare... and I haven't even "pimped" mine as several other owners on this forum seem to have done. Any reports of MaxDrive failure here? No. Not one.

It's annoying that several Chinese makers offer these excellent motors on MTBs, Hybrids, Tourers etc at far less than any equivalent Bosch or Yammy drive (Apollo bikes as one example), yet very few importers here in the UK are picking up on that.

I hope you, Woosh, pick up that mantle and expand your soon-to-be released MaxDrive with other frame/style variants.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If Maxdrive is so brillant why aren't any of main brand MTB manufacturers using it.
I'll have more of them in January/February at £1,399 price point.

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
If Maxdrive is so brillant why aren't any of main brand MTB manufacturers using it.
Because if they did:
1) They can't lock you in to buying expensive proprietary batteries
2) They can't lock you in to buying expensive spare parts
3) They can't lock it down enough to prevent users from tweaking it, potentially opening them up to:
a) excessive warranty claims
b) legal action if they are found not to comply with legislation when in use.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Because if they did:
1) They can't lock you in to buying expensive proprietary batteries
2) They can't lock you in to buying expensive spare parts
3) They can't lock it down enough to prevent users from tweaking it, potentially opening them up to:
a) excessive warranty claims
b) legal action if they are found not to comply with legislation when in use.
The bike manufacturers don't deal with drive warranty issues, it is between shop and drive manufacturer. Bike manufacturer doesn't make any money off aftersales standard batteries, bike specfic ones in case of Focus Jam and Specialized are different.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Nothing against your bikes but I doubt you can build a decent FS MTB for £1400 let alone add a motor and battery.
it depends on what you call decent.
give me a target and see how close I can get to it on this budget.
Things like shocks and handlebars are easily replaced.
The basic bike comes with the MaxDrive, 48V battery, Deore 9-speed derailleur.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh, do you have any images of the Bafang Max Drive bikes that you will be offering come Jan/Feb 2018.
erm... the frame looks remarkably similar to the one 1boris linked too.

Last edited:

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
I forgot to mention earlier: Don't forget that the Bafang Max-drive trounced the Bosch in the 24 hour endurance race.

http://www.bafang-e.com/en/news/detail/team-bafang-wins-at-the-24-hour-e-bike-race-at-the-nurburgring-in-germany.html
Yes but from what I read Bafang team they programmed them to more current than the Bosch.before the race.But also from what I remember testing a Bafang max it was not as strong as The bosch but it didnt need so much rider input to get max assistance from the motor

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes but from what I read Bafang team they programmed them to more current than the Bosch.before the race.But also from what I remember testing a Bafang max it was not as strong as The bosch but it didnt need so much rider input to get max assistance from the motor
The only important point is that they won. I'm sure the Bosch guys had whatever they needed to adjust their motors too.