Crank motors

nicholasj

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 17, 2020
Doing a bit of reading I understand motors like the Bosch need the rider to pedal for it to start to assist!
Isn't that a bit of a disadvantage? So on a level road I would still need to peddle continually?
.....and talking about Bosch they have some rather cool, and rather expensive displays like the Nyon!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You will find that all bikes require you to generally pedal to move even ones without assist, once moving you will be able to freewheel until your desired speed becomes to low.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Pedalling is part of the pedalecs regulations. That is different from (say) an electric motor bike or s-pedalec (speed pedalec); these require registration, insurance, etc. As Nealh says, you don't have to pedal if you don't want any assist from the motor.

Some have throttles and will propel you without pedalling, but for the most part those are not technically legal as pedalecs (there are all sorts of complications around that). In particular, a throttle is allowed to help you get started at low speeds.

Most crank drive (and some hub drive) bikes have torque sensors that only give out a proportion of the power you put in, so even on the highest setting you still need to push a little. On bikes with cadence sensors you still need to keep the pedals turning, but don't need to put in any pushing effort beyond that.

Reactions: mike killay

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
Doing a bit of reading I understand motors like the Bosch need the rider to pedal for it to start to assist!
Isn't that a bit of a disadvantage? So on a level road I would still need to peddle continually?
It is after all still a bicycle. I have a torque sensor on mine. I think it's great, it feels so natural when riding along. Just like riding a normal bike but having legs, heart and lungs that are three times more powerful. The three times is obviously variable depending upon motor and assist level. It's such a great feeling. Just pressing a button to make it go would be a completely different and I think less involving experience.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Isn't that a bit of a disadvantage?
it is only when you try to climb a steep hill that the three different motor types show up their differences.
You have to input more to get more out of a middle motor with torque sensor (Bosch and Tongsheng TSDZ2 for example).
Increasing assistance helps but you still have pedal much harder and faster.
Cadence sensor middle motors such as Bafang BBSes are much more helpful on hills. You pedal as much as you like. You still need to change gear to climb though.
Geared hub motors are the easiest. You don't even need to change gear when climbing a hill.

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
it is only when you try to climb a steep hill that the three different motor types show up their differences.
You have to input more to get more out of a middle motor with torque sensor (Bosch and Tongsheng TSDZ2 for example).
Increasing assistance helps but you still have pedal much harder and faster.
Cadence sensor middle motors such as Bafang BBSes are much more helpful on hills. You pedal as much as you like. You still need to change gear to climb though.
Geared hub motors are the easiest. You don't even need to change gear when climbing a hill.
So you go up steep hills without needing to change a rear hub, not that you could anyway since hub gearing is fixed? I am sure you do need to change down the bike gears to keep the hub turning at a speed it likes .I have both rear hub and centre drive and love both. The hub drive will be the easiest to maintain

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I'd qualify that ...
If the geared hub is powerful enough to get you up the hill unassisted, or if you have very strong legs and don't mind knackering your knees, you don't even need to change gear when climbing a hill.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I usually ask how much the customer weighs.
If it's over 100kgs, I would suggest 48V DWG22C or SWX02. Over 80kgs but under 100kgs, 36V SWX02, below 80kgs, XF08C or XF07. They have enough torque for riders with slight physical impairments. Those with impairment tend to fit the throttle as a backup.