Crank noise on wisper 905se

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
David

Because there was a creaking noise for a while, could this have worn out another part as well as the cup and cone bearings? Would the replacement part cover this? Sorry for the noob questions, I don't understand the workings of bikes!

Many thanks
The noise could still be the crank taper, when loose they can deform and never have a good fit again, If the bearings are loose you should be able to feel movement. Look hard for movement when pushing and pulling by hand, if only one crank wobbles on it's own then you probably need a new crank, if both cranks wobble together as one then the bearings are loose.
To make it more complicated you can over tighten the cranks and cause damage to the crank that way. :)
What sort of mileage have you done?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Oregon

Don't worry all parts necessary should be covered.

To be absolutely safe it's always best to get a price for the work before committing.

Best regards

David

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
Thanks Mussells, there was some movement last week, before I tightened the nut. The creaking stopped, but a click noise was then audible from the bottom! So, I think both parts are damaged.. I have used the bike around 3 years, mostly locally so mileage would not be that high. But, probably enough to warrant repair, maybe.

Thanks David for your help. I will speak with TETS.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Thanks Mussells, there was some movement last week, before I tightened the nut. The creaking stopped, but a click noise was then audible from the bottom! So, I think both parts are damaged.. I have used the bike around 3 years, mostly locally so mileage would not be that high. But, probably enough to warrant repair, maybe.

Thanks David for your help. I will speak with TETS.
If the BB bearings are bust then it will slowly get loose and irritating, the looser it gets the more often your chain will come off as well. There's no rush but as it's a simple service job you should plan for it. Sometimes the bearing cage will break up and get stuck in the mechanism causing your pedals to seize, if so just pedal backwards until it eases up and it should be OK.