Crank noise on wisper 905se

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
Hi everyone

There is a creaking noise from the left pedal side whenever I cycle, and I am not sure how I go about fixing it. I am assuming it is the crank? Ive been to a few cycle websites and they talk about cotterless cranks, etc. Is the wisper 905se a cotterless crank?

Do I need to replace it or can I adjust it to stop the noise?

Thanks for any advice. Much appreciated!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
latest are sealed requiring no maintenance the earlier ones are not and do. may well just need tightening

try a "search" on here, and you should find the info but I'm sure someone will be along soon to help. if you dont feel confident a LBS should sort it easily.......

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, cotterless crank and almost certainly the crank arm square taper fit slack on the spindle. There's usually a plastic dust cap in the centre that you can prise off, then inside you see the nut to tighten with a thin wall socket. If you haven't got a suitable socket a cycle dealer can tighten it in seconds. The nut in the crank arm looks similar to this one:

cranknut.jpg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, that should do it, but you only need the socket part at present of course, no need to extract the crank since it just needs tightening.

alex_h

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2009
if you have a clicking noise then it means it comes from bottom bracket. The bearings might be gone or need to be re-greased if they are not sealed machined type.

good luck

Alex

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
Thanks Alex

I contacted Steve at Wisper but he said I need to take my bike back to be safety checked.

I am out of warranty, so I want to avoid expensive workshop bookings.

How do I re-grease? Is it easy? This just seems to get worse!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Oregon

If your bike is our of warranty it may have the cup and cone bearings used on earlier Wisper bikes, these may need replacing. Did you ask steve for a price?

All the best

David

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Thanks Alex

I contacted Steve at Wisper but he said I need to take my bike back to be safety checked.

I am out of warranty, so I want to avoid expensive workshop bookings.

How do I re-grease? Is it easy? This just seems to get worse!
If you are in Islington then you're close to a Wisper dealer, The Electric Transport Shop will be able to do it if you don't want to get your hands dirty.
Any LBS will be able to do it but TETS is more likely to put the pedelec sensor back correctly.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Again Oregon

I have had a chat with Steve, the part is £15.00 and labour should be between £15 and £30 depending on how easily the existing cup and cone can be removed.

I too would recommend TETS if they are close by.

All plus VAT.

All the best

David

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Does this mean a sealed BB is available which can be retrofitted to all 2008/2009 Wisper 905 SE models?

at the moment mine (old style one) is still in relatively good nick after 3500 miles (it has been cleaned and regreased twice) but its going to need work again at some point..

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Does this mean a sealed BB is available which can be retrofitted to all 2008/2009 Wisper 905 SE models?

at the moment mine (old style one) is still in relatively good nick after 3500 miles (it has been cleaned and regreased twice) but its going to need work again at some point..

Sorry Alex we cannot replace a cup and cone with a sealed bearing.

All the best

David

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
Hi Again Oregon

I have had a chat with Steve, the part is £15.00 and labour should be between £15 and £30 depending on how easily the existing cup and cone can be removed.

I too would recommend TETS if they are close by.

All plus VAT.

All the best

David
Thanks David. I am close to TETS. I will contact them. Will they have the required part in stock or do I need to buy it elsewhere beforehand?

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
so thats £15 for the entire BB assembly (old style one)?

Any precise details of the bearing cage used would also be helpful as I will probably need to replace them at some point, (the cone surfaces are in good nick otherwise) - and its easier to get stuff mail order here as the LBS's here don't always have things in stock or are really busy...

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Alex

Yes £15 is for the whole assembly. You would need to speak to Steve regarding the cage.

Don't worry though we have a very comprehensive stock of components of all our bikes going back 5 years so we will have everything you need.

All the best David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks David. I am close to TETS. I will contact them. Will they have the required part in stock or do I need to buy it elsewhere beforehand?
They can buy it from us, best to take the Wisper in to them and they can order the parts, we will get them out same day for next day delivery.

All the best

David

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
They can buy it from us, best to take the Wisper in to them and they can order the parts, we will get them out same day for next day delivery.

All the best

David
David

Because there was a creaking noise for a while, could this have worn out another part as well as the cup and cone bearings? Would the replacement part cover this? Sorry for the noob questions, I don't understand the workings of bikes!

Many thanks