Crashed again...

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Had a nasty spill yesterday in the rain. Heading to work I hit what I assume was oil on the road, and to make matters worse I slid towards a drain cover so I really had no chance. Ripped my panniers and snapped half of my brake lever off, bars went wonky too but easily fixed. Not to mention I hurt my hand pretty bad but broke nothing. Was doing about 20mph. I hate the rain haha

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Had a nasty spill yesterday in the rain. Heading to work I hit what I assume was oil on the road, and to make matters worse I slid towards a drain cover so I really had no chance. Ripped my panniers and snapped half of my brake lever off, bars went wonky too but easily fixed. Not to mention I hurt my hand pretty bad but broke nothing. Was doing about 20mph. I hate the rain haha
I wish you a speedy "repair" of both you and your bike!
I always find it amazing just how "horribly" fast even just 20MPH is when you are in the middle of a major spill! Haven't had a spill for sometime now and I hope to keep it that way.....
The tyres I have on my bike, even though I cannot remember the make (they came with the bike), are really good in the wet, on and off road. Braking is really effortless, and builds up confidence in the wet, to allow short stopping distances.
I avoid riding just after a dry spell anyway, as when it first rains, the mixture of oil and rubber dust, plus water, always makes it more dangerous for the first hour or so of rain. Really slippery!
I even avoid driving a car at that time too, as many car drivers are simply not up to driving correctly in such conditions.
Even just a 7 day dry period will still have this effect. Many do not realise this.....
My bike is street legal, so 15-17 MPH tops, which in an accident situation, is still too fast really, which is why I wonder at the vast number of e-bikers want to speed up their bikes, that is, to my mind, really going out and "looking for an accident to happen!"
Plus, so many bikers wear stuff that does not protect them, no helmet, no gloves, only shorts and a T-shirt - HELP!!!
Get well, and get back on your (repaired) bike!!
regards
Andy

iRider

Pedelecer
May 2, 2019
Wigan
I suppose if you ride enough your bound to have the odd spill. “Cue all the advanced cycling advice ”.

The bike will fix and you walked away so count your blessings and cycle on mate.

VillageIdiotDan

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2019
I always find it amazing just how "horribly" fast even just 20MPH is when you are in the middle of a major spill! Haven't had a spill for sometime now and I hope to keep it that way.....
The tyres I have on my bike, even though I cannot remember the make (they came with the bike), are really good in the wet, on and off road. Braking is really effortless, and builds up confidence in the wet, to allow short stopping distances.
I avoid riding just after a dry spell anyway, as when it first rains, the mixture of oil and rubber dust, plus water, always makes it more dangerous for the first hour or so of rain. Really slippery!
I even avoid driving a car at that time too, as many car drivers are simply not up to driving correctly in such conditions.
Even just a 7 day dry period will still have this effect. Many do not realise this.....
My bike is street legal, so 15-17 MPH tops, which in an accident situation, is still too fast really, which is why I wonder at the vast number of e-bikers want to speed up their bikes, that is, to my mind, really going out and "looking for an accident to happen!"
Plus, so many bikers wear stuff that does not protect them, no helmet, no gloves, only shorts and a T-shirt - HELP!!!
regards
Andy
My bike is street legal but does 25mph under my own steam - I don't think how the bike is propelled to that speed is the issue, it's whether you feel doing that speed in all conditions is appropriate.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
I suppose if you ride enough your bound to have the odd spill. “Cue all the advanced cycling advice ”.

The bike will fix and you walked away so count your blessings and cycle on mate.
Rode bikes all my life no "advice" could have prepared me for that. I have fell on black ice and mud in the same way previously, always been a no warning kind of thing. Only other crashes I've had were dumb stunts when I was a teenager

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
My bike is street legal but does 25mph under my own steam - I don't think how the bike is propelled to that speed is the issue, it's whether you feel doing that speed in all conditions is appropriate.
I've done this same corner a thousand times, many times in the wet. It just wasn't my day. I will be taking it wider where the road is cleaner from now on. And yes a little slower, until my courage returns at least lol

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
p.s. Anon, pleased to hear you walked away, i'll be extra careful on my way home tonight!
This stuff just happens sometimes, but a little care and observation does go a long way. That's why I haven't had more accidents with some of the fools and hazards on these roads

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
regards
Andy
I was interested in the high power 30mph+ category but this has put me right off,not worth it

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I was interested in the high power 30mph+ category but this has put me right off,not worth it
they use super glue and staple guns at a and e these days ;) if you brake ur arm you might even get a real sling but all i got was a bit of foam loop lol.

• :D

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
they use super glue and staple guns at a and e these days ;) if you brake ur arm you might even get a real sling but all i got was a bit of foam loop lol.
Never broke a bone in my life, don't want to start now. I love milk and cheese and all things dairy maybe the calcium protects me lol