Creak -but not my knee!

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
My bike has developed a creak, a really annoying one.

It only creaks under weight so I am thinking saddle post or spokes maybe. As I know zilch about mending these things I have asked the seller to come out if it's anything more than the saddle/ post. I read on t'internet that only experienced folk should dabble with the spokes.

Is there anything else that I can look at with my very limited skills? ( i.e. no skill ). I'd be happy to tighten things up but not strip them down.

Checking it by riding on the pedals isn't an option, my knee wouldn't take it.

Thanks in advance for any very simplistic advice you can offer :)

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
P.s I don't know any technical terms apart from gears, motor, saddle, wheel and handlebars
.. hi sarabee,
All new bikes need a bit of adjustment after a few weeks. Often the vendor will throw in a first shakedown service as part of the purchase. My shop did, although I have not taken him up on it yet.

A creak could be anywhere, so let's try and isolate it.
I s it periodic. Eg occur at fixed intervals or more random. .. if periodic then is it linked to rotation of the pedelec, the rotation of the chain or the rotation wheels.
If it is not periodic does it come when you do something heavy.. over a bump
Does your bike have suspension forks or a suspension seat post, if so these may only now be loosening up .
Unless something was very much amiss, i would not expect the spokes to cause trouble. You can easily examine them just ping each one in turn with your finger and they should all feel equally firm. If any were loose, I would bring it back too the shop
If any screws nuts or bolts were loose the normal effect is to have rattles not creaks, but there is no problem in tightening nuts etc. Just don't get too enthusiastic and wring all the threads.

• Useful

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
Thanks for your reply Danidl

There is a rhythm to the creakiness which happens whether I am pedalling or not and whether I use assist or not.

The bike has front suspension and it's just a normal saddle post.

I'll give the spokes a ping if it's not the saddle. Also giving it a good clean, not that it's dirty, and check bolts etc.

When the bike was delivered, it was in the middle of a storm so we just got it in to the garage and only noticed later that the rear wheel wasn't on straight.

The sellers came out the next morning and put that right, I just wonder if the two are linked. Having said that it's been a joy for the last 4 weeks.

• Informative

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
What make of bike is it?
It's a step through 'girly bike with basket' from ERanger, a cruiser. I know it's Chinese, they told me that straightaway but it's sturdy and I love it. If I'd had any idea of how much I'd love ecycling I would probably have spent quite a lot more. It will do for now though.

They are very good on service and will come out this weekend if I can't sort it. It has a two year warranty so not too worried at the moment.

• Informative

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Thanks, don't laugh, how do I know what is the correct torque? Do you mean tighten it but not over tighten it?
... If it were a problem with the peddle crank it would not be present when you stop peddling

Define creak. The type of noise can help identify the location.
Examples..
A. Rattle .. a loose metal to metal connection look to carrier or mudguards.
A clunk every time you rotate the pedals .. loose crank.
A constant rubbing noise .. one of the brake pads in light contact with the wheel.
A gentle drumming noise .. side of tyre touching a mudguard stay.
Click click could be freewheel or a hub dynamo...

I would associate a creak with a plastic part moving under pressure. Another possibility is the shaft holding the handlebars in place. There is an expanding but inside the shaft and if it were not tight it could creak.
The only way to accurately tighten a bolt is to use a calibrated torque wrench. If bolts are visibly loose, they can be tighter with a spanner and then go only half turn when tight. There are glues available in Halfords intended to hold nuts and bolts from vibrating loose. Loctite is a brand name... Note not in the normal adhesive range, otherwise you could never open them again.

• Informative

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
Thanks Danidl

It is really hard to explain. I'd call it a groany creak and now happening as soon as I sit on it. If I sit still it doesn't continue but if I move forward it creaks as the wheel turns, even slowly. I think it makes the noise once per wheel turn over a section of the wheel, about 30 degrees of the 360. It sounds metal related to me.

We've cleaned, checked the saddle post, forks, taken the centre stand off and cleaned it (bit sandy) and put it back. My son has checked everything is tightened and we are now thinking it's something to do with the wheel or at worse, bearings.

I think I'll wait for them to come out now and sulk. I won't ride in case it makes it worse.

Ha ha, they don't like me being in the man den, especially when I started tidying up!

Thanks anyway for all the input.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Sarabee,

1. Lift and spin each wheel, does the wheel create the noise?
2. Does the noise happens when the same section of the wheel is in contact with the ground or the brake pads?

• Useful

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
Hi, thanks for asking, Woosh,

The wheel doesn't create the noise but after a while of spinning the brake rubs lightly against it, making me think it's not 'true'. If I adjust the brake slightly to the side it's fine again for a while. This is a separate noise from the creak but they may be related in sound way.

I would say the initial creak happens when I sit on the bike and is then regular if I move forward. I'm not sure if it's the same section, might have to put some chalk mark on and test that unless there is a better way to test it.

I'm finding it really difficult to explain it, sorry.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes, try some chalk mark.
If one of the pads on your rear V-brakes touches the rim, you can adjust the spring tension with a screwdriver.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
To determine if it's a brake rubbing, maybe disconnect one at a time with the quick release and do whatever you needed to do, to get the noise. If it's still there then reconnect that brake then disconnect the other and try that one.
You could also try wiggling the wheel sideways to see if there is any play in the bearings.

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
It's just constant now and can be heard halfway down the road, waiting for them to come out.

Unfortunately hub has been unwell this weekend, a bit of drama etc, so it's all been on the back burner. Thankfully he is ok though now and on the mend.

• Informative

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Thingamajig for the multi-syllabalists amongst us :D

G
That's what I wanted to say in the beginning but I had forgotten how to spell Thingamajig!! So I said Thingy instead. That shows you that Thingy or Thingamajig is the best word in the world because we all know what it means regardless how educated we are. Thank you Gaz:D

MS.

• :D
Reactions: Gaz and Sarabee