'Creaky'Bike

Larkspur

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2008
S.W. Herts
My Kalkhoff Pro Connect emits a rather annoying creaking noise. This is particularly pronounced when pedalling moderately hard in lower gears, such as is the case when going up hills, but there is some level of noise nearly all the time.

I just can't work out what the problem is. I keep the drive chain well lubricated and the gears seem to be adjusted correctly (i.e. the two marks are lined up).

One thing to mention is that I have got a 16 tooth rear sprocket fitted and when this was done, no links were removed from the chain. The chain does seem to have quite a lot of play in it but the guy in the shop that did it said that he didn't think it was necessary to remove any links.

Any ideas? Do others experience this at all?

Performance doesn't seem to be affected but it's annoying and makes me feel like I'm riding a rickety old wreck, rather than a high quality, 6 month old super-bike.

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
Creaky Bike

My Kalkhoff Pro Connect emits a rather annoying creaking noise. This is particularly pronounced when pedalling moderately hard in lower gears, such as is the case when going up hills, but there is some level of noise nearly all the time.

I just can't work out what the problem is. I keep the drive chain well lubricated and the gears seem to be adjusted correctly (i.e. the two marks are lined up).

One thing to mention is that I have got a 16 tooth rear sprocket fitted and when this was done, no links were removed from the chain. The chain does seem to have quite a lot of play in it but the guy in the shop that did it said that he didn't think it was necessary to remove any links.

Performance doesn't seem to be affected but it's annoying and makes me feel like I'm riding a rickety old wreck, rather than a high quality, 6 month old super-bike.
Hello

Following the advice from this forum, when I changed my Tasman's sprocket to 18T I removed 2 links from the chain. Other than the tensioner sticking on one journey, and me with no oil, there have been no problems. Down to 16T surely the chain must be too loose now?

Iain

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
Creaky Bike

I posted about this recently.
Following good advice from members on the forum I have accessed the 3 bolts which hold the motor and tightened them up and removed the slack that was causing the creaking noise when using the pedals. There is a posting on 50Cycles website for tightening the bolts which has helpful photographs.
It resolved the problem.

I have just fitted a 16 tooth sprocket las weekend and it is much better to ride downhill, etc.
I removed another link just to take out some of the slack in the chain.

Larkspur

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2008
S.W. Herts
I have previously tigthened up the motor bolts, as at one time they were so loose that the motor was moving from side to as I pedalled. I will check that they're still tight, but I haven't detected any movement recently.

Thanks for all the advice.

The 16T sprocket conversion has made a big difference to me - it has helped me knock about 12 minutes off what was originally a 65 minute commute time.

Chris

Lloyd_50cycles

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2008
Nottingham
Hi Larkspur,
Have you checked the crank bolts? If they come loose, the cranks can creak under pressure, which would be more evident when hill climing etc. It requires a 14mm socket, you'll see the two nuts under the plastic covers on the crank arms. If you have a torque wrench, 45Nm will do the trick. If not, jut do them up very tight....:p

Also check that there is no grit in the square taper part of the crank arm/axle interface, as this is often the cause of phantom noises on most bikes.

If your problem persists please give us a call on 0844 800 5979.

Kind regards

Lloyd