Creating more work!.....

NZgeek

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2013
Whangarei, Northland, New Zealand
I've been having some gear issues on the Frankentraption, so ordered a few bits, and it's still a bit painful! The old chain was VERY worn, which stopped me using the higher gears - it was starting to skip teeth!

Fitting the sprockets, and the direct Drive hubmotor into the back has been troublesome, and then sometimes the derailleur contacts the hubmotor when in low gear.....

SO... I'm converting the rear hub motor to fit the front (Shorten the axle, and mill new flats onto it) and replacing the rear derailleur setup with.....

...A NuVinci :cool:

Please don't burst my bubble (joking - feedback appreciated), but the Nuvinci seems a pretty good arrangement, and I got it pretty cheap - about 180 pounds with shipping to NZ. Should be quirky and fun, if nothing else.

I have steel solid front forks, so I hope I have no issues, and it will transfer some of the bikes weight to the front too. I have to drive for a while though, while the bike is out of action :(.

Hopefully I can get the front conversion done, and use the existing derailleur setup for the meantime.

Anything I should be particularly attentive to with a front hub drive?

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
If you mounted the DD in the middle and laced it thro the duvinci at rear you would then have a dual throttle effect allowing insane acceleration effects for a given C rate. Indeed you would basically be riding a unicycle which dispenses with the need for a front wheel at all!

NZgeek

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2013
I had thought about it, but I've already spent HOURS fitting my removable (to charge at work) battery in the frame triangle... I haven't ruled it out entirely though! :cool:

I also like the idea of the assist being separate from the pedal drive train, so if one fails, the other works... just in case!:eek:

I'd even though about making a carbo bike, with a 20" wheel at the back, and fitting the DD Hub infront of the wheel, with a traingle chain over the 3 sprockets - I could lower my carrier down for better handling too :cool:

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
I like midrives and the nuvinci too. Sure they are prone to catastrophic failure but on the positive side you have unique gear range and control possibilities.

NZgeek

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2013
Sure they are prone to catastrophic failure...
Shhhhhh... don't jinx it! I'm planning on being one of those long term, trouble free users!

If I have a massive failure, I'm hoping to have a bit of a fiddle with it. Apparently you can get a replacement fluid if required, and the seal issue should have been resolved by now... I hope!

There's not much inside them (especially the N360). So as long as you have fluid, it should keep moving.

If I did mid drive it, I'd stick to a VERY low power input - you can, when you have the motor spinning at ideal speeds anyway.

Reactions: hech

NZgeek

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2013
Typical...

I fit my NuVinci N360, even ride it to work twice (it's BRILLIANT!), and now I find a NuVinci locally cheaper than the one I got!

It is however the earlier model, but comes in the "developer kit" with a autoshifter and controoler to set constant cadence etc....

..... I think I may have to buy it as a toy anyway :D

I hadn't ridden the Frankentraption for 2 weeks, and the first two trips to work and back, my average speed is already nearly 1km/h faster - I can only assume it's the better gear choices more than making up for any lost efficiency in the system :cool: VERY awesome on hills!

D

Deleted member 4366

Typical...

I fit my NuVinci N360, even ride it to work twice (it's BRILLIANT!), and now I find a NuVinci locally cheaper than the one I got!

It is however the earlier model, but comes in the "developer kit" with a autoshifter and controoler to set constant cadence etc....

..... I think I may have to buy it as a toy anyway :D

I hadn't ridden the Frankentraption for 2 weeks, and the first two trips to work and back, my average speed is already nearly 1km/h faster - I can only assume it's the better gear choices more than making up for any lost efficiency in the system :cool: VERY awesome on hills!
Make sure that the cable screws are nice and tight.