CST - it's all working

D

Deleted member 4366

The three speed switch has nothing to do with speeds; it's only being used to switch from one throttle to the other. With the switch to the right,the normal throttle is working normally. With it to the left it uses the throttle with no spring in it, so you can put it in any position and leave it there,

As an example, you put the cruise throttle on it's half-way position, which equates to 12mph. You have the switch to the right, so you can use the normal throttle. At any time you can switch to the cruise throttle, whereupon your bike will try to maintain 12mph. If you pedal over 12mph, all the effort comes from you. If the bike slows down below 12mph, the controller will feed in more power in an attempt to get the speed back to 12mph. The further your speed is below 12mph. the more power the controller gives. This effect takes away any hill-climbing effort from you because it has enough power to take you up without pedalling, so you select say 6th gear and pedal along at a comfortable cadence of about 55 to 60 putting in whatever effort you want. You can pedal hard or soft, but your speed will be more or less the same, and if you want a rest, the motor will take over. It sounds a bit strange, but what it means is that you determine the speed and effort that you want to pedal with, and the cruise control decides the speed that the bike will go regardless of your efforts.

When you want to slow down, you apply the brakes and all power is cut, As soon as you let go the brake, the controller applies power to get you back up to cruise speed, so it's like an automatic throttle.

The only problem is when you stop with the brakes and forget to switch off the cruise at the end of your journey because when you let go the brakes, the bike starts to accelerate away again.

I don't use a normal throttle on my folder. I just have the cruise with an on off switch. I normally leave it on 12mph. As soon as I'm ready to go, I switch on the cruise and start pedalling and just use the brakes for going slower. Once you've tried it, you won't want anything else

D

Deleted member 4366

Saneagle's cruise control is even simpler.He just uses a friction bar to hold his thumb throttle open. He can push his throttle back to zero by applying a bit of pressure to it. If he wants full throttle, the throttle lever works normally above the cruise lever, and when he lets go of it, it springs back to the cruise position. The effect of the cruise is the same as mine. If you search through his recent posts, there was an explanation and some photos.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
That's pretty amazing. Going to seriously look at this now. Was looking at the switch diagram ... can the switch I have be wired to work for both a cruise control setup like yours and also serve as a battery isolator via the same toggle switch, or would I need a 2nd switch for that ?

My technophobic tendencies have kicked in over Speedict at the moment - as it stands at any rate. Anyone have any spare thumb throttles on hand to play with ? :)

I have one thumb throttle plus these, which thinking about it are not of any real use with a 2-throttle setup as that arrangement would likely work well with thumb ones :

Half Twist Throttle with LED Voltage Level Display - BMSBATTERY

Twist Grip Throttle - BMSBATTERY

Whilst I'm at it .... I presume that this doesn't really work as a reliable battery meter ? :

EAD-Bike LED Meter Display - BMSBATTERY

D

Deleted member 4366

I had a thought about the Cycla Analyst. They're a bit dearer than a Speedict at about £100 - £110 direct from Ebikes.ca. I think Cyclezee were reasonable at one point with winter discount, so you might want to check first. The version 3 has a lot of new features, so check which version.

If you made a bracket like mine, you could turn it round the other way, so that it faces backwards, This would then hold the CA behind or over the stem-head and well away from the handlebars, so plenty of room for your phone.

D

Deleted member 4366

Those panel from BMS battery aren't really that much use. As a temporary measure, if you don't want to fork out for a CA or Speedict, this voltmeter will give you a good idea of what's going on with the battery. The battery voltage gradually goes down from about 39v to about 36v, and then starts to go down faster. After a few journeys, you can get a good idea of the charge state of your battery.
Waterproof Digital Voltmeter DC 15V To 120V Red Led Voltage Digital Panel Meter | eBay

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
This is an interesting little gadget:

Digital LCD Clock Thermometer & Car Voltage

It has an alarm feature if the temperature drops below a certain level to protect battery. I suspect the voltage monitoring is only for 12v though..doesn't say.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I had a thought about the Cycla Analyst. They're a bit dearer than a Speedict at about £100 - £110 direct from Ebikes.ca. I think Cyclezee were reasonable at one point with winter discount, so you might want to check first. The version 3 has a lot of new features, so check which version.

If you made a bracket like mine, you could turn it round the other way, so that it faces backwards, This would then hold the CA behind or over the stem-head and well away from the handlebars, so plenty of room for your phone.
My phone looks like this, demo'd on Agattu as I haven't fitted anything to the Trek yet (it's far more compact) :

The brake reservoirs protrude behind the handlebars up to near the stem head on the Trek, so there's not much room there to have anything extending on the wheel side of the handlebars (not enough for a CA display anyhow). So do you mean have it on the side of the handlebars facing the seatpost mounted off a bracket where the stem spacers are ?

I could look at that when I get back to see if it would fit and ask about the physical dimensions of the CA display I guess.

Still think that a small speedo plus voltmeter and cruise control would do everything a cycle analyst or Speedict would to manage the bike performance bar restricting the bike speed when you're away from the bike, which something like Amigafan's remote might do just as well if needed ?

I'm not into plotting out graphs of my routes travelled and compiling trip maps or anything at the moment. Nice as they are, I can't get my head round all the software and computer time to be completely honest and in the decent weather the only places I really go down SW are to the sea to get in kayaks, boats and in the water leaving the bike behind.

Just want to manage the bike performance, tame the motor if I need to, monitor speed and battery and save having to sit with my thumb on a throttle for miles on end. Pretty straightforward needs tbh.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
@d8veh - was looking at the switch diagram ... can the switch I have be wired to work for both a cruise control setup like yours and also serve as a battery isolator via the same toggle switch, or would I need a 2nd switch for that (it's fine if I do as long as I can fit all the switches and step-down converters etc. into the box lol) ...

D

Deleted member 4366

@d8veh - was looking at the switch diagram ... can the switch I have be wired to work for both a cruise control setup like yours and also serve as a battery isolator via the same toggle switch, or would I need a 2nd switch for that (it's fine if I do as long as I can fit all the switches and step-down converters etc. into the box lol) ...
No. You need two switches.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Keen to go down this route now d8veh. Bit of time away helps to clear the head sometimes :). The 2-throttle setup sounds ideal. I'm going to make absolutely certain I've got room for a 2nd throttle on the LHS but assuming there's space, do you by any chance have any spare thumb throttles kicking about for sale ?

If you did, and there's space on my bars, would be great to buy one - couldn't find any on sale here for 36v installation. I could order a replacement or two with any other relevant bits from BMS to replace if you couldn't spare one permanently. Let me know if you can help else I'll get the bits ordered soon as poss.

On the switches, guess I could use the switch you kindly made me for the toggle isolator switch for the cruise control instead (do let me have the PayPal info soon !) and make a new one for the isolator switch which will be a wee bit longer before needing installed. Just need to source the bits, ideally locally if possible else I'd better get an order in for the MOSFETs soon as I can. :cool:

D

Deleted member 4366

I think I got one somewhere. Do you want me to take the spring out for you? I haven't sent the connectors yet. I went down to the post office yesterday, but when I got there, I'd forgotten to put the package in my pocket. I'll post them tomorrow.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I think I got one somewhere. Do you want me to take the spring out for you? I haven't sent the connectors yet. I went down to the post office yesterday, but when I got there, I'd forgotten to put the package in my pocket. I'll post them tomorrow.
yes please that would be :cool: if you could... wd be grateful :).

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Keen to go down this route now d8veh. Bit of time away helps to clear the head sometimes :). The 2-throttle setup sounds ideal. I'm going to make absolutely certain I've got room for a 2nd throttle on the LHS but assuming there's space, do you by any chance have any spare thumb throttles kicking about for sale ?

If you did, and there's space on my bars, would be great to buy one - couldn't find any on sale here for 36v installation. I could order a replacement or two with any other relevant bits from BMS to replace if you couldn't spare one permanently. Let me know if you can help else I'll get the bits ordered soon as poss.

On the switches, guess I could use the switch you kindly made me for the toggle isolator switch for the cruise control instead (do let me have the PayPal info soon !) and make a new one for the isolator switch which will be a wee bit longer before needing installed. Just need to source the bits, ideally locally if possible else I'd better get an order in for the MOSFETs soon as I can. :cool:
Ah sorry Alex, I just sold my last one to someone who asked on another thread else I would have let you have it for cost price. Glad d8veh has one spare for you anyway.

D

Deleted member 4366

The throttle and connectors are on their way by first class post. You should get them tomorrow.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Thanks so much. Step by step, the goals are getting closer :).

Got a fixing plan for being able to remove one of the box sides completely as a panel without having to screw in and out of wood now too - going to give it a test when I get back. Borrowing back my saws and an electric drill from family I gave them to as well, so that might all get a bit more achievable now :).

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Had a quick peek inside the 3-speed switch handlebar connections to see what wires were connected to what pin.

Pin directly beneath setting 1 = Black

Pin directly beneath setting 2 = Red

Pin directly beneath setting 3 = Blue

So .... if I'm mounting the cruise on the left handlebar and the regular throttle on the right, it'd make sense for this array :

Setting 1 - bring on cruise

Setting 3 - switch back to main throttle

Does that make any difference as to which 3sp wire is connected to the cruise white and which to the main throttle white (throttle side) ?

D

Deleted member 4366

Does that make any difference as to which 3sp wire is connected to the cruise white and which to the main throttle white (throttle side) ?
Not really, but you might wantthe switch pointing yo the left for the cruise and right for normal. The pins are the opposite way to the switch, so when the switch is to the left, the right pin is on. and vice versa.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
... and if red is under switch setting 2 (middle one) then this should go to throttle white (controller side) rather than black ? :confused:

Sorry - terrible photo but this is of the handlebar switch pins :

Last edited:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
One cruise control built, 'bench tested' and working great. I am one VERY happy boy :D Some piccys to follow if I can get Photobucket to play ball ...

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
OK - some pics :

Left springless cruise control throttle cable cut, a section of black outer insulation removed from the middle of right regular throttle and red/black wires from left throttle spliced into right throttle :

Ready to connect in the 3-speed switch which is being used as a cruise/throttle off/main throttle on switch :

Switch wires connected up and shrinkwrapped over the joins :

I experimented with a new product (might become a favourite very soon !) to cover the 'T-joins' in the red and black wires from the left to right throttles ... it's great !

Advertisers