CTW upgrade to Rohloff

tuniwes

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2020
I've had my Raleigh Motus tour since April 2020....7,000 miles on the clock, very pleased with it but then two months ago, my mate bought a Cube Kathmandu 625 on the CTW scheme and I got "The Iwannas" big time!!

I very nearly splurged out over £5,000+ on a R&M with Rohloff hub

Then in a "lightbulb" moment I discovered that you can use the CTW scheme for upgrades not just new bikes......Ahaa!!

OK so what don't I like two years in with the Raleigh.....the Nexus 7 gearbox...@ 260% range it's functional for everyday city use but very limited to extremes at both ends of the scale when you get out into the West Wales hills. I only do this a couple of times a year but when I do....It let me down in this respect.....the Rohloff has an incredible 526% range

So I bought a Rohloff hub with all the trimmings, rim, rotor etc and a Crane Creek Thudbuster ST seat post from Swinnertons on the CTW scheme. Then I got an independent bike shop in Newport to build it into a hub for me.

Great service from the owner Jules, received the bike back today all Rohloff'd up and ready to go
Will let you know how I get on with it

tuniwes

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2020
The Rohloff speedhub is now coming up to 700 miles and has been an absolute delight, compared to the Nexus 7 speed....it "Knocks it out of the park" at both ends of the range but particularly on hill climbing, I now have another 5 gears past the Nexus 1st gear....incredible, there is not a hill in Wales that I wouldn't be prepared to tackle.
On my holiday to Aberystwyth this summer, I became concerned at not feeling in control on the 15% descents.
I solved that last week by fitting a pair of 4 piston Magura MT5's....wow, great sensitivity and stopping power.

Reactions: Bikes4two