Cube Bosch Performance cx Burns out

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
I'm very similar to georgehenry, I have an Oxygen E mate city rear hub drive and a Cube crank drive mtb. For me its horses for courses. I have had my Oxygen 5 years and during that time it has done about 8k, i say 8k because the odometer stopped working a few years ago at 4k.
Initially I found it too high geared for the hills around my home in Fife, I persevered but eventually changed the gearing so i could spin up the hills, that worked for a while but eventually I was going so slow most of the energy was going into heat. I eventually bought a 350w Oxydrive Hi Torq kit fitted to another bike for my hill and off road trips. This got sold in March because it was impossible to source another battery for it. I am currently exploring more powerful motors and higher amperage controllers for the Oxygen because i like the bike so much. i am now of the opinion that most legal 250 watt hub motors paired with 10/15A controllers are unsuitable for long day rides in hilly terrain.
In March around the start of lockdown i bought a crank drive with the new Bosch CX gen 4 motor. For hills and off road it has been a revelation. I have done a nearly a 1000 miles in 3 months. The cycling experience for me is better, the higher cadence i can achieve coupled with the torque sensors has resulted in me tackling on & off road climbs which were impossible for me with my hub motor setup.
The reason i am writing all this is if my crank drive packs up in 3 years and it costs me 900 quid to replace it i would consider that acceptable. I hope and expect though with the vast number of crank drives being sold the independent repairers will increase and it will be cheaper to fix them. Like others the maintenance won't cost much, 9 speed blocks and chains are cheap now. Schwalbe Marathon plus last forever. OK Bosch batteries are an arm and a leg but hopefully folk like Jimmy at BGA if they can't do it now will in time be able to recell Bosch cases.
I hope this thread gives the OP some options. and he gets it repaired and reports back.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its about £300 to recell a bosch batt, but it must be working and charging.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Ridiculous scare mongering, your so called "single point of failure" would apply to any bike without a hub motor whether electric or non electric and in 50 years of riding bikes and motorbikes I have never had a chain snap and never known professional cyclists to carry a spare chain, and they probably generate the same amount of stress on a chain as a mid-motor and a motorbike certainly does.
Some people are just lucky, and manage to get through without many problems, but does that mean we then then simply ignore the unlucky ones up front, and pretend that they did not have a chain snap, and a 20 mile walk home because we did not supply them with a warning?
I think not!
That would be IMHO, be very unfriendly of us all here....
As even a 1 in 10 chance over say a 3 year period, might be too high for some, and I include myself in that.
Remember, chain and associated components wear differently, depending upon style of riding, power of motor, power of the rider, weight of bike, weight of rider, number of hills, steepness of hills, speed of riding, amounts of dust and debris thrown up and and and.....Its not a simple 2+2=4 equation.
Perhaps then you would be so kind as to give your opinion about how to treat such possibilities and whether a friendly warning should be made or not, especially to people new to the sport?
I would be fascinated to learn something useful.
Thanks in advance for your time and trouble in answering.......
How long do you need in hours/days, for a respectable answer?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
You are sometimes a little too easily 'poked' into disproportionately long diatribes.

~~~
Apologies to the OP here for going somwhat off-topic.

Looking closer it was probably a Bosch butterfly from 'Garden of Earthly Delights'
A fearsome butterfly-monster thrusting its sword into the stomach of an unfortunate captive.

View attachment 36551
That was far too weird for me personally......and some complain I go off subject!
I will keep a link to your post for others who complain!!!
Thanks!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you should watch some dh mountain bike racing 10k bikes still brake or snap in half lol ;)

its why i make my bike as light and strong as possible cos i do those speeds on the flat so have mavic dmax pro cat 4 1k wheel set and 400 quid carbon crank arms with 100 quid crank brothers clip less pedals.

a hub motor bike going down a uci dh track would just get destroyed so would be the single point that would fail first as the rim and spokes would be destroyed in mins going those speeds and doing jumps that big.

hub drives are cheap and good for flat roads but when you start going off road and doing dh tracks they are useless.

bit like a moto gp bike on a scrambler track its not going to work is it lol.

mid drive hub motor bike but you wont like the price and way to heavy for me.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
a hub motor bike going down a uci dh track would just get destroyed so would be the single point that would fail first as the rim and spokes would be destroyed in mins going those speeds and doing jumps that big.
hub drives are cheap and good for flat roads but when you start going off road and doing dh tracks they are useless.
Can you provide us all with proof, especially photos showing that?
As I simply do not believe it, as hub motors are in my opinion, the strongest, and most simply built motors around, and give good long and reliable service.
An unbiased opinion with pictures would be really great.
I looked on YouTube, and in a comparison with a supermarket 500 pound bike against a 2000 pound bike, a) the 500 bike did not break, b) the 2000 pound bike won the comparison!! What a surprise, thats like comparing a F1 car and a Ford Prefect from 1955!
See for yourself:-
The viewer comments were not complimentary for the way the tests were conducted! Very biased, as they are basically selling high end e-bikes, so only to be expected....
I looked for anywhere on the web that a hub motor can break as you detailed, I could not find a single instance of that being reported, just as I expected.
I did find this, which I find to be very fair and accurate, you may not like some of the comments:-
Andy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the hub motor wont fail but all that extra waight from the motor will mean even a small mistake will buckle a wheel and hub motors are not very good on fs bikes either esp doing jumps and the sheer waight just brakes stuff no matter what you spend but i ride my bike like i stole it. :p

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
I don't know about hub motors getting destroyed but all the wheels I have had (4) built in China would have. It was common for me to replace spokes and get the wheels trued.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

andy pm me when your ready 2021 :p

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Can you provide us all with proof, especially photos showing that?
As I simply do not believe it, as hub motors are in my opinion, the strongest, and most simply built motors around, and give good long and reliable service.
An unbiased opinion with pictures would be really great.
I looked on YouTube, and in a comparison with a supermarket 500 pound bike against a 2000 pound bike, a) the 500 bike did not break, b) the 2000 pound bike won the comparison!! What a surprise, thats like comparing a F1 car and a Ford Prefect from 1955!
See for yourself:-
The viewer comments were not complimentary for the way the tests were conducted! Very biased, as they are basically selling high end e-bikes, so only to be expected....
I looked for anywhere on the web that a hub motor can break as you detailed, I could not find a single instance of that being reported, just as I expected.
I did find this, which I find to be very fair and accurate, you may not like some of the comments:-
Andy
That reminds me of when one of the motorbike magazines did a test of the Honda CB125 twin against the Harley Davidson 1250 sportster. The Honda was faster, better handling, better on fuel, had better brakes and was more reliable than the HD during the test, and it cost 1/10th of what the HD cost.

Reactions: Artstu

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
the hub motor wont fail but all that extra waight from the motor will mean even a small mistake will buckle a wheel and hub motors are not very good on fs bikes either esp doing jumps and the sheer waight just brakes stuff no matter what you spend but i ride my bike like i stole it. :p

I have had two rear hub bikes.
I have never even had a spoke break.
I generally ride in a hilly area of forest close to my house, I keep the tyre pressures up, as I find that makes for better braking and road holding.
I have never ever had a single motor problem, or wheel problem.
I am not the lightest person around, generally weighing around 89 Kg.
You ride like you stole it still does not prove that hubs cannot take that, as you do not ride hubs!
And if you had ever broken a hub, you would have made photos of the event, I have yet to see even one photo!
Sorry, but I simply do not believe you.
Furthermore, the major problems with mid motor bikes that are slowly being understood here on Pedelec, are more likely to cause a shortened working like with such treatment.
If you have not realised it yet, you are very unconvincing.
Have a great day
Andy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I have had two rear hub bikes.
I have never even had a spoke break.
I generally ride in a hilly area of forest close to my house, I keep the tyre pressures up, as I find that makes for better braking and road holding.
I have never ever had a single motor problem, or wheel problem.
I am not the lightest person around, generally weighing around 89 Kg.
You ride like you stole it still does not prove that hubs cannot take that, as you do not ride hubs!
And if you had ever broken a hub, you would have made photos of the event, I have yet to see even one photo!
Sorry, but I simply do not believe you.
Furthermore, the major problems with mid motor bikes that are slowly being understood here on Pedelec, are more likely to cause a shortened working like with such treatment.
If you have not realised it yet, you are very unconvincing.
Have a great day
Andy
its called you have no balls if you dont crash you aint going fast enough my sun glasses cost 200 quid pmslDSC_0222_03.JPG
;)DSC_0220_03.JPG

Last edited:

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Hi Izumojo
Sorry to hear of your problems. I’m curious so may I ask how was the motor diagnosed as burnt out? Was it diagnosed by a Bosch dealer or do you have a way of determining it yourself.

Thanks
I too would like to know the answer to this question. The OP has only made one post on this forum but this was only a couple of days ago lets hope they come back and provide some more details.

My CX motor is now out of warranty, I've done about 5000 miles and had no trouble with it, but I certainly would not want to have to fork out £800 for a new motor if it fails in the next year or two.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales

he sells second hand motors and imo could use what you have for parts if the controller/pcb is toast just bung him a email ;)
SW, do you know if you can take your entire bike to him and leave it with him to sort out a motor problem, and then pick it up from him when it's fixed. If my motor was to pack in, rather than faff around taking it out and sending it off and then putting the repaired motor back in. I would prefer sticking the entire bike in the back of my car taking it to someone to repair it and then picking it up once its repaired.

I would not care if this meant a several hundred mile round trip, I would just make a day out of it. I am retired and so have plenty of spare time.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Running Costs and Savings and does it Matter?

I apologize for going off topic but this thread got me thinking about how I would feel if my motor blew up tomorrow.

I do not really ride my bikes to save fuel costs, but more for the exercise, environmental impact and enjoyment.

But how much money has my Haibike saved me so far?

On the road my return journey to work is 20 miles by car or bike. Using my haibike going cross country to work and on the road home adds 4 spectacular but for this purpose frivolous miles to my journey.

So if my petrol car averaged 40mpg what have I saved?

So I have so far completed 12,216 miles on my haibike. Knocking off the 4 extra off road miles I ride just for the sheer fun seems only fair in this comparison. Doing that I have traveled 10,178 miles on the haibike that I would have done in the car.

I looked on the web and the cost of a litre of petrol varies so I chose £1.05 a litre, 4.55 litres to the gallon.

So 10,178 miles would have needed 254.45 gallons of petrol and multiplied by the cost of a gallon of petrol would have cost me £1,215.63 p.

Now that sounds a lot but all those rear cassettes, chains, chain rings, 3 rear wheels, tyres, brake pads, I think at best it may only be slowly buying itself back!

Of course the car would also have some wear and tear running costs.

But all that exercise and fun to be honest is priceless.
Ride to work no cycling sighns 23 06 20 001.JPG
And compared to a Gym membership probably good value.

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Deluded......
Try to not run yourself down too much when posting, as it may make you seem to be a really bad loser!
I am sure that with the right help, your delusions will be much "improved" upon.
Wishing you well in the near future.