Cube Bosch Performance cx Burns out

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
plenty off ppl post on here with all sorts of broken motors even hubs spokes and rims, nothing lasts forever with moving parts.
imo you think the best thing for space travel would be a hub motor and wont be told otherwise.

my bike has thru axles so that wont happen.

and i never said the motor will fail the spokes will start snapping and then its game over going 40mph dh.

why i have a £500 crash helmet and you dont because you dont need one as dont go off road down hill tracks or hit 30+mph on the flat.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
SW, do you know if you can take your entire bike to him and leave it with him to sort out a motor problem, and then pick it up from him when it's fixed. If my motor was to pack in, rather than faff around taking it out and sending it off and then putting the repaired motor back in. I would prefer sticking the entire bike in the back of my car taking it to someone to repair it and then picking it up once its repaired.

I would not care if this meant a several hundred mile round trip, I would just make a day out of it. I am retired and so have plenty of spare time.
id ask him first as space may be a problem but it is a easy job to remove a motor tbh.

• :D
  • Informative
Reactions: Warwick and Nev

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Running Costs and Savings and does it Matter?

I apologize for going off topic but this thread got me thinking about how I would feel if my motor blew up tomorrow.

I do not really ride my bikes to save fuel costs, but more for the exercise, environmental impact and enjoyment.

But how much money has my Haibike saved me so far?

On the road my return journey to work is 20 miles by car or bike. Using my haibike going cross country to work and on the road home adds 4 spectacular but for this purpose frivolous miles to my journey.

So if my petrol car averaged 40mpg what have I saved?

So I have so far completed 12,216 miles on my haibike. Knocking off the 4 extra off road miles I ride just for the sheer fun seems only fair in this comparison. Doing that I have traveled 10,178 miles on the haibike that I would have done in the car.

I looked on the web and the cost of a litre of petrol varies so I chose £1.05 a litre, 4.55 litres to the gallon.

So 10,178 miles would have needed 254.45 gallons of petrol and multiplied by the cost of a gallon of petrol would have cost me £1,215.63 p.

Now that sounds a lot but all those rear cassettes, chains, chain rings, 3 rear wheels, tyres, brake pads, I think at best it may only be slowly buying itself back!

Of course the car would also have some wear and tear running costs.

But all that exercise and fun to be honest is priceless.
View attachment 36574
And compared to a Gym membership probably good value.
It's very rare that you can make an economic case for an ebike unless you completely replace your car with an ebike to save on the car's depreciation, road tax and insurance.

Exercise, fun, convenience and necessity are valid justifications.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
It's very rare that you can make an economic case for an ebike unless you completely replace your car with an ebike to save on the car's depreciation, road tax and insurance.

Exercise, fun, convenience and necessity are valid justifications.
I agree.

I was just having a bit of fun as my Haibike only gets used to ride to work and back and I know the road mileage and could make a direct comparison with my car.

Its the fun and exercise and feeling of well being and mental sharpness at work that I do it for. Sometimes at the end of a tiring shift I think, I've got to ride my bike 10 miles.

Invariably when I am on it and riding I perk up and enjoy myself.

It is also a really good way of weaving exercise into my days at work where I would otherwise be mostly sitting down.

As I age and approach my 60's, I think staying active is more important than when I was younger.

Last edited:

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Get ready for the rant....
Unlike other forums I visit, the Ignore function on this one doesn't even let you know those on your ignore list have posted. Liberating! Life's too short, etc.

• Useful
Reactions: 01wellsd

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
plenty off ppl post on here with all sorts of broken motors even hubs spokes and rims, nothing lasts forever with moving parts.
imo you think the best thing for space travel would be a hub motor and wont be told otherwise.

View attachment 36580

my bike has thru axles so that wont happen.

View attachment 36581

and i never said the motor will fail the spokes will start snapping and then its game over going 40mph dh.

why i have a £500 crash helmet and you dont because you dont need one as dont go off road down hill tracks or hit 30+mph on the flat.
I bet Aaron Gwin could still get it to the bottom of the hill!!!

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
That reminds me of when one of the motorbike magazines did a test of the Honda CB125 twin against the Harley Davidson 1250 sportster. The Honda was faster, better handling, better on fuel, had better brakes and was more reliable than the HD during the test, and it cost 1/10th of what the HD cost.
In the same motorcycle magazines from that era you could buy T Shirts with the slogan "I'd rather eat worms than ride a Honda"

• :D
Reactions: Amoto65

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
In the same motorcycle magazines from that era you could buy T Shirts with the slogan "I'd rather eat worms than ride a Honda"
The irony- little did they know back then that Soichiro would be the man that put the world on (motorised) wheels....

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I would not mind one of these.....
View attachment 36592
My latest, which is absolutely brilliant - fits well with what they say in the ad above. I wish I had bought one sooner. If you haven't ridden one, get a test drive. It has electric screen, traction control, keyless ignition, and it does 80 mpg. I still have my Deauville 700 and my BSA A10, but cleared out all my others:

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
My latest, which is absolutely brilliant - fits well with what they say in the ad above. I wish I had bought one sooner. If you haven't ridden one, get a test drive. It has electric screen, traction control, keyless ignition, and it does 80 mpg. I still have my Deauville 700 and my BSA A10, but cleared out all my others:
20130514_154957 (1).jpg

If a Honda was good enough for this man then they're definitely good enough for the rest of us....

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
Me too
IMG_20200522_142307683.jpg

Reactions: Nev and vfr400

joelectric

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2019
Motherwell
I have had two rear hub bikes.
I have never even had a spoke break.
I generally ride in a hilly area of forest close to my house, I keep the tyre pressures up, as I find that makes for better braking and road holding.
I have never ever had a single motor problem, or wheel problem.
I am not the lightest person around, generally weighing around 89 Kg.
You ride like you stole it still does not prove that hubs cannot take that, as you do not ride hubs!
And if you had ever broken a hub, you would have made photos of the event, I have yet to see even one photo!
Sorry, but I simply do not believe you.
Furthermore, the major problems with mid motor bikes that are slowly being understood here on Pedelec, are more likely to cause a shortened working like with such treatment.
If you have not realised it yet, you are very unconvincing.
Have a great day
Andy
Hi Andy,
have a read at this, it might help you understand why you are unable to expand your thinking when it comes to mid-drive motors.