Cube hybrid 2014

Tor Atle Lunde

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Cube is also one of the few (the only?) manufacturer to sell a full suspension 120mm 29" the next season. The Cube Stereo Hybrid range also consist of a 140mm 27.5", a medium trail category with a few other players (Haibike AMT, AVE XH7, Lapierre Overvolt).

I'll order one as soon as I can decide if I want a long travel 27.5" or a bigger wheel with a bit less travel...

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Big wheels and less travel if you're trail riding, big travel is really only for big drops these days. Full sus 29ers with medium travel feel a lot like all mountain rigs to ride. It's the only type of electric MTB I'd consider, so until I see a good, well proven one I'll stick with my hybrid and have a break from the more serious off-road.

Tor Atle Lunde

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2011
Oslo, Norway
I trust Cube will deliver. Their normal Stereo range got a lot of positive reviews so they know what they're doing. I wish they would polish the welds a bit but I can live with that.

I bought a Stumpjumper FSR 29er earlier this year and I've been impressed with how much easier it is to roll over roots and rocks. Never tried 27.5".

Will probably go for CUBE STEREO HYBRID 120 Pro 29

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I bought a Cube LTD 29er earlier this year. I have been very impressed with this brand of bike, the build quality is very good, frame geometry comfortable and it is well equipped.

At the moment, it has 2.00 Schwalbe Big Apple tyres fitted and it makes a great road commuting bike, so much so that my electric bike (Pro Connect) has been redundant for the past three months.

The 29 inch wheels roll very well and the Big Apple tyres are fine for light / moderate trail riding as well as road use. In summary, its a very well made versatile bike. And interestingly, I can cover the 20 mile round trip to work and back quicker on the Cube LTD than on my electric bike. I think this is because the Cube is higher geared and I can pedal it to a higher speed.

A Bosch driven electric version would make a great machine. The 29 inch wheels on a MTB makes a huge difference and I wouldn't consider anything with 26" wheels now.

JamieP

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2013
I have a friend that is considering one of these, Is the Bosch motor in this the same as in my haibike RC29? Looks a little different, and the crank is tiny on it?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have a friend that is considering one of these, Is the Bosch motor in this the same as in my haibike RC29? Looks a little different, and the crank is tiny on it?
The Cube has the 2014 Bosch drive which, as you say, is smaller and has a smaller crank.

Bosch are still making the chunkier drive as fitted to your Haibike, now called a Classic, which is still appearing on some other 2014 bikes.

The power of the motors is about the same, so I expect the ride will be similar, although I've not tried a bike with the new drive.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
What makes the Cube Reaction a hybrid?

It looks pretty much similar to my Trek Mamba 29er, which is classed as a xcountry mtb.

No mudguards, knobblies etc.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
What makes the Cube Reaction a hybrid?

It looks pretty much similar to my Trek Mamba 29er, which is classed as a xcountry mtb.

No mudguards, knobblies etc.
Seems Cube label all their ebikes as Hybrid. Hybrid normally, flat bars and skinny road tyres.

I guess they are thinking along the car, hybrid lines due to the electrical element?

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
The Cube has the 2014 Bosch drive which, as you say, is smaller and has a smaller crank.

Bosch are still making the chunkier drive as fitted to your Haibike, now called a Classic, which is still appearing on some other 2014 bikes.

The power of the motors is about the same, so I expect the ride will be similar, although I've not tried a bike with the new drive.
That chainwheel looks tiny - wont that mess up the cadence? I have a 46T on my bike - a Haibike - and an 11T at the back - which works well (ie around a 65 cadence) - but that front Chainwheel cog looks like its a 20t or something - wont you have to pedal like a mad person on the road to get anywhere?

Anybody got any thoughts?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I guess you could still fit a Bosch dongle to the cube?
The Badass clip-on dongle I have would fit the Cube because Badass told me it has been tested on 2014 Bosch drives.

I don't know about the wired in one.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
That chainwheel looks tiny - wont that mess up the cadence? I have a 46T on my bike - a Haibike - and an 11T at the back - which works well (ie around a 65 cadence) - but that front Chainwheel cog looks like its a 20t or something - wont you have to pedal like a mad person on the road to get anywhere?

Anybody got any thoughts?
At the risk of missing some obvious, I have been thinking the same about the gearing on the Bosch 2014 drives.

The rear cassette looks standard, so that size of front chainring ought to make the bike ridiculously low geared.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
At the risk of missing some obvious, I have been thinking the same about the gearing on the Bosch 2014 drives.

The rear cassette looks standard, so that size of front chainring ought to make the bike ridiculously low geared.
Yup. My thoughts exactly. The only possibility - other than as you say its ridiculously low geared - perhaps it is geared up inside the mechanisim at the chainwheel - as in the crank-pedal is not connected directcly to that chainwheel but is geared inside - so say everytime you pedal once around the chainwheel goes twice around - which would sort things - but its impossible to tell from the pictures I have seen.

Who knows!

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
The chainwheel is internally geared up (2.5x I think)

James - did you get your Haibike back?

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
The chainwheel is internally geared up (2.5x I think)

James - did you get your Haibike back?
Ah. That would explain it.

On my bike - in a word - no. And its a long painful story with the police and many others that I would rather not go into - but at the end of the day I did not get it back. :-(

So I went out and bought me another one. F**k it. I spent even more mad money on an even more expensive Haibike - with all the money I am saving from not running a V8 XJR and an R1 (if you know you know). And its great (my new Haibike I mean). And I dont leave it unattended outside my house like I left the other one.

We live and we learn.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Rotten luck, James: It only takes the wrong scumbag to be passing at that moment; and if you were being targetted they were going to have it, no matter what.

Glad you're back on a Haibike - I suspect nothing else would do :)

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Rotten luck, James: It only takes the wrong scumbag to be passing at that moment; and if you were being targetted they were going to have it, no matter what.

Glad you're back on a Haibike - I suspect nothing else would do :)
I do indeed like my Haibike - but there's competition out there for sure - its a completely different concept but the Ghost bikes look nice and wow how light - as in 13.8Kg for an electric bike. Amazing

Though talking of weight I was in Richmond park the other day and saw what I thought was a beautiful looking regular push-bike not electric I mean this thing really did look the bo**ocks so I went up to the guy who was sitting by it taking in the view (from the east side on the hill on a good day you can see pretty much all the way to Windsor) - and asked if I could pick it up for a moment as I thought it looked amazingly light - he said sure go ahead and I picked it up and was astounded with how light it was - as in truly remarkably light - he looked at me and said '6kg'.

Wow.

6kg for a f*****g bike! 'I didn't get much change out of £10,000' he added. Made me feel a heck of a lot better for shelving out nearly £5K on my Haibike. Not a lot better but a bit. Nice bike though. He said it was pretty much all Carbon.

Put that ghost kit on that bike and you could have a full electric coming in under 10kg. Now that sounds interesting.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
On the ad for that Ghost "Suitable for people 5' 4" to 6 ft." and "Frame Size:
21 in."

THIS is what give some ebike dealers a bad reputation, anyone 5'4" who bought that bike would be completely unable to ride it. I'm 6'1", and my size is usually 19" or 20", i can get away with an 18" or a 21", but they really dont fit me. I find this really annoying.