Cube Kathmandu Equivalents

ktox

Just Joined
Jan 31, 2022
Hi Forum, my question is, if I have decided that the Cube Kathmandu (possibly Pro or Exec spec) is the bike for me, what would be the equivalent bikes from other manufacturers?

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
I would say the Giant Anytour, Specialized Turbo Vado, Haibike Trekking or Kalkhoff Endeavour 7.B. Those were the ones I was looking at before I chose the Kathmandu.

ktox

Just Joined
Jan 31, 2022
I would say the Giant Anytour, Specialized Turbo Vado, Haibike Trekking or Kalkhoff Endeavour 7.B. Those were the ones I was looking at before I chose the Kathmandu.
Thanks that's very helpful. I have been looking at the Vado. Attracted by the weight difference, but have not checked out that Kalkhoff.
What was the deciding factor for you, if you don't mind me asking?

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Thanks that's very helpful. I have been looking at the Vado. Attracted by the weight difference, but have not checked out that Kalkhoff.
What was the deciding factor for you, if you don't mind me asking?
My main deciding factors were:

Range of gears (I still want to ride without motor assistance)
Bosch motor (plenty of dealers and service centres)
Value for money (Cube seem to give a lot more for your money than other brands).

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I have been looking at the Vado. Attracted by the weight difference
One of the main points here is the others usually have a 'suspension' fork fitted. Which in itself weighs about 5 1/2lbs, and isnt really up to the task.
Plus the battery on the Vado is 320w/h, compared to the 500w/h on the Cube. These batteries are seriously heavy. I remember when i first picked up a 625w/h i was shocked by how heavy they actually are.
I dont know exact weights for sure but I reckon you could probably knock another 5 or 6lbs off the weight from the smaller battery too.
11lbs+ = 5kg+ probably closer to 6kg. Not to be sniffed at if you need to lift the damned thing up.

Last edited:

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
One of the main points here is the others usually have a 'suspension' fork fitted. Which in itself weighs about 5 1/2lbs, and isnt really up to the task.
Plus the battery on the Vado is 320w/h, compared to the 500w/h on the Cube. These batteries are seriously heavy. I remember when i fist picked up a 625w/h i was shocked by how heavy they actually are.
I dont know exact weights for sure but I reckon you could probably knock another 5 or 6lbs off the weight from the smaller battery too.
11lbs+ = 5kg+ probably closer to 6kg. Not to be sniffed at if you need to lift the damned thing up.
You're right about the battery weights, my 625wH battery is a bit of a lump. Having had the bike for a few months now I haven't been on a ride that has got it below 80% charge left so could have probably done with a smaller battery. I have stopped charging for every ride and am now doing 3 rides per charge, with an average ride being 25-30 miles.

stargazer30

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2020
I had a 500wh cube touring hyrbid exec. This is the same bike as the Kathmandu but with the gen 3 motor.

I sold it due to weight. It was 27kg unlaiden and lifting it over stuff was a nightmare. It had a superb range though. I only ever had to ride it unassisted once and even with the 12 speed mega range rear cassette it had on it was a chore!

I went to a Fazua powered gravel bike after the cube. 10kg lighter. Less range of course but better for the riding I do.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
Next bike.
Gazelle C380
Enviolo hub gears.
Belt drive.
Local shop has a selection but not the hub gear model.
After the excellent Infinity I would miss this type of gear option.
C380 on back order and he is confident.
Went off the Kathmandu because of uncertainty with delivery.