Cube Kathmandu Hybrid Pro (2022) Trapeze

science.raven

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 27, 2022
Nice bike! I found a used Cube bike for $50, shimano deore and rock shox, the lady said "I don't know about these things, my son doesn't want it any more... $50?" I said you must be joking yipee :) It's an awesome bike. Good company.

simonsays

Mar 18, 2022
I got a "Kat" Hybrid Pro 625 in the controversial colour scheme a week ago - very impressed so far.

I've commuted on a hybrid route; Ridgeway, small roads and tracks with some tarmac and cycle paths. Will be 200 miles by the time I get home this evening.

What I really like are:
-lights that work "just like a car" - very useful for road cycling even in daytime
-the very capable solid feel that this bike will plough on through almost anything
-the chainguard means that the drivetrain is staying remarkably clean, even in chalky mud and dust
-high build quality

I'm less than impressed with:
-brakes: the "200" Shimano calipers aren't enough on a 48mph downhill
-tyres punctured first time out, maybe sharp flint is a bit hard to stop; so tubeless have been ordered
-the Intuvia display only gives 5 battery bars for state-of-charge, I'd like a percentage.
-the 2A charger is stingey, for a £3k bike I'd expect at least the 4A version.

I'm also not seeing any sign of the eMTB mode. The assistance mostly stays in Tour mode. I'm getting 80-90 miles range in very mixed use.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I got a "Kat" Hybrid Pro 625 in the controversial colour scheme a week ago - very impressed so far.

I've commuted on a hybrid route; Ridgeway, small roads and tracks with some tarmac and cycle paths. Will be 200 miles by the time I get home this evening.

What I really like are:
-lights that work "just like a car" - very useful for road cycling even in daytime
-the very capable solid feel that this bike will plough on through almost anything
-the chainguard means that the drivetrain is staying remarkably clean, even in chalky mud and dust
-high build quality

I'm less than impressed with:
-brakes: the "200" Shimano calipers aren't enough on a 48mph downhill
-tyres punctured first time out, maybe sharp flint is a bit hard to stop; so tubeless have been ordered
-the Intuvia display only gives 5 battery bars for state-of-charge, I'd like a percentage.
-the 2A charger is stingey, for a £3k bike I'd expect at least the 4A version.

I'm also not seeing any sign of the eMTB mode. The assistance mostly stays in Tour mode. I'm getting 80-90 miles range in very mixed use.
All of the shortcomings addressed in the Katmandu Hybrid Exc 2022 I think

oggie

Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2017
chester
I have just purchased a Kat Pro from wheelbase, have completed 60miles this week.
Having only ever used rear hub motors, i'm finding using the Bosch cx mid drive very different, in that changing gears seem very clunky unless I back off on each change.
Is this normal? The shimano deore lever is correctly placed. Otherwise excellent torque for hill climbing

simonsays

Mar 18, 2022
I have just purchased a Kat Pro from wheelbase, have completed 60miles this week.
Having only ever used rear hub motors, i'm finding using the Bosch cx mid drive very different, in that changing gears seem very clunky unless I back off on each change.
Is this normal? The shimano deore lever is correctly placed. Otherwise excellent torque for hill climbing
Certainly a good idea to back off when changing gear, especially when you've got so much torque available. It's not just the sprockets but the freehub is quite a cheap model not intended for ebikes and they fail quite easily. Ideally change down before hills, as that's when you're likely to overload the components.

JamTop

Aug 22, 2021
One year on: Cube Kathmandu Hybrid Pro 625 - Review

I thought I’d jot down some thoughts after almost a year of owning this bike.

Overall this is a superb bike that has given me hours of pleasure from cycling to the local greengrocer’s shop to trundling around local cycle trails. At 68 and living in a hilly part of Devon, it has given me the opportunity to get a bit fitter and feel like I’m 14 again ! It provides a solid and stable ride, has more than enough torque for the hills and enough range in the 625 battery to meet my needs. The Intuvia control unit provides a clear display and all the information I’m likely to want. All the controls and levers are well placed. Changing the power input is easy and gear changes are smooth, fast and efficient. The Racktime rack is useful and I find a click-on top bag holds all I need for most journeys. I have some Cube panniers too and did not think I could fit these on at the same time as my top bag. However, a bit of extra adjustment resolved the issue. Although battery removal is a bit fiddly, I’m able to recharge it on the bike so this is no problem.

On the downside:
  1. The cheap nasty bell on the bike was just silly; not loud enough and the plastic hammer snapped off after a few months. I replaced it with a better one.
  2. The original “suspension” seat post was pretty pathetic so I replaced this early on with a Redshift Shockstop. An expensive option but truly excellent. As the saddle did not suit my sit bones I replaced that at the same time (though this was not really the bike’s fault)
  3. At only 2A the charger is a bit slow and looks mean for a bike at this price point.
  4. I reserve my strongest criticism for the manual which is utterly pathetic. Firstly, it is generic rather than specific to the bike and is thus inadequate in its description of some things. This can be confusing. Secondly, instead of first being separated into different languages, it is divided into sections (describing the bike, the drive unit, power pack etc, etc) and each section is then further subdivided into the various languages. This means you have to identify the right section then scrabble about to find the right language. Given that the indexing is pretty poor, this makes it all the more difficult. Thirdly, the advice is shocking. I needed to raise the adjustable height handlebars. It looked easy enough and was soon done, necessitating only the loosening of four bolts, making the necessary adjustments and then re-tightening them to the correct torque (usefully printed next to the bolts). I thought I’d look in the manual to see what it said. When I (eventually) found reference to the adjustment, it said it was a workshop job! Pitiful.
I am aware that some changes have been made to the 2023 model though I’ve not seen one. I hope that at least some of these issues have been addressed.

All that said, I don’t regret my purchase and look forward to many more enjoyable rides.

Last edited: