Cube MTB - 27.5 or 29 for touring?

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire
Hi all

I want to repurpose one of my CX bikes for touring, but can't decide which one.

They are:
2018 Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 18" 27.5
2018 Cube Reaction Hybrid Race 19" 29

Advantages of picking the 27.5:
  • It leaves the better specced (nice fork and better gearing) on the 29er available for trail use
  • There is room on the top tube to carry an extra battery - it is too tight to fit centrally on the 29er
Advantages of picking the 29er:
  • I already have Big Apples for it
  • The wheel sizes seem to make more sense this way round with the 29s on the road and the 27.5s on the trail.
Any thoughts please? Ta.

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Bump... I'd be really grateful for any advice before I start modding this weekend! :p

TobyAnscombe

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2012
Epping Forest, Essex
Meh - I *think* that you are in the "nice problem to have" category. Personally, I love my 29er on the road and use it for commuting pretty much daily so I'm probably a bit biased.

pedalingDave

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 1, 2019
I've got a Cube Reaction 29" and whilst I only really use it on trails, when I have stuck some smoother tyres on it, it has rolled well and been comfortable on road. However, on the road I spend a lot more time above the speed cutoff even with the extra weight so the 'e' bit of ebike is less relevant (until the hills). Not sure there is much to choose between them but I think the advantages of the 29 that you state swing it for me.

Even if you were planning to tour off road I'd probably still go for the 29 - but not much in it really.

Dave

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Meh - I *think* that you are in the "nice problem to have" category. Personally, I love my 29er on the road and use it for commuting pretty much daily so I'm probably a bit biased.
Absolutely it is a first world problem... I was extremely lucky to come across a great 2nd hand deal on the 27.5, that I couldn't turn down!

Thanks for the vote :p

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Not sure there is much to choose between them but I think the advantages of the 29 that you state swing it for me.
Thanks, another vote for the 29 then!