Cube Reaction Hybrid Race 500

Jay Russell

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2015
Pennine West Yorkshire
I passed the seven hundred miles mark today!

Some stats:

Top speed - 43mph
Average speed - 15mph
Crashes - 2 (Ice and 'overestimating my ability' off-road)
Repairs - none
Worn parts - rear brake pads because I got oil on them

The bike is still fantastic and I love my commute to work.

Reactions: LeighPing

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
43mph is going some!.

Nothing you can really do if you hit ice apart from don't brake and don't turn, worst part of winter riding. Had a few offs myself over the years due to ice.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have studded ice tyres for one of my ebikes.

They do an excellent job and keep me upright on sheet ice provided I only corner gently.

Part of it is a confidence thing, this may sound daft but on studded tyres you can cycle on ice on which you would have trouble walking.

Biggest problem is stopping, the tyres grip fine but your shoe doesn't when you put your foot down and over you go.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: D C and EddiePJ

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
I have the Cube c-62 carbon 500 hybrid 2016 model and it is superb.The gearing has been changed to a 18 front sprocket and a close ratio road cassette.A badass x3 dongle has been fitted so it still assists at very high speed.
Slick 29er tyres help and i have a lower stem to get a little more aero.The Bosch CX motor has been faultless and the bike has been well used since i bought it in february.

• Informative
Reactions: cyberdyne_systems

trog

Just Joined
Feb 2, 2016
bought mine in February too, now at 2200miles. dongle and 17t front ring....
best bike i've owned in my entire life.
used for transport and fun weekend rides.

Jay Russell

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2015
Pennine West Yorkshire
Just back from a servicing at the local shop yesterday. 950 miles on the clock now.

One new tyre, two sets of brake pads over the past year.

Still love it. The electrics have never missed a beat.

Jay Russell

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2015
Pennine West Yorkshire
I never thought I'd blow £2k+ on a bike but honestly it's amazing. I love my commute. The whoosh of hitting nearly forty on the way home. The 'waft' up the long hill to work...

Jay Russell

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2015
Pennine West Yorkshire
After about fifteen months of ownership...

1200 miles on the clock.
One replaced tyre
A few sets of brake pads
-turns out that I had leaky calipers, the man in the bike shop says its not uncommon for shimano hydraulics to leak. So uncommon he doesn't even need to do paperwork for shimano to refund him when he does warranty replacements!

Electrically absolutely no problem whatsoever.

Now I have my brakes working again I'm back in the saddle to work almost every day.

Jay Russell

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2015
Pennine West Yorkshire
It's me again!

The bike is somewhere around the 2000 miles mark now.

Serviced by the local shop
Replaced tyres
Replaced brake pads

No other work required.

I'm considering upgrading to tubeless running because I'm bored of punctures.

The bike is still outstanding, I've not noticed any decline in battery capacity.

Jay

MJS_1066

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 24, 2020
It's me again!

The bike is somewhere around the 2000 miles mark now.

Serviced by the local shop
Replaced tyres
Replaced brake pads

No other work required.

I'm considering upgrading to tubeless running because I'm bored of punctures.

The bike is still outstanding, I've not noticed any decline in battery capacity.

Jay
I'm glad to see that after four years there's no reduction in motor output or battery life (I just bought a Cube bike myself). Which part of West Yorkshire are you from if you don't mind my asking?

MJS_1066

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 24, 2020
I'm in Bradford. The west side, close to the moors.
Cool I'm not far from you then, I live in Guiseley. I was on those moors the other day too, rode My Cube Acid Hybrid straight up the side of Shipley Glen and took this picture on the hill overlooking Saltaire, I'm still in awe of what these bikes can do with a low gear and turbo.

Attachments

ColinJTod

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2020
Todmorden
I'm in Bradford. The west side, close to the moors.

I recognised that road and reservoir straight away! (Cold Edge Road and Warley Moor Reservoir.) It is a while since I have been up there but I must have done it at least a dozen times over the years.

The first few times I went that way it was an unmade road higher up but eventually the council did resurface it. I'm not sure what it is like now?

I see above that you had a couple of crashes on ice... I'm not sure if it was on that road, but that doesn't get gritted and the road further on from that barely sees the sun in winter so it can be lethal!

I went up there for a ride one winter and discovered a river of black ice covering the road for about 100 metres. I dismounted and walked my bike up the grassy verge until I got beyond the ice and had just started riding again when I spotted a motorcyclist flying down the hill towards me so I stood in the middle of the road and flagged him down. I told him of the dangers beyond - he thanked me and turned round. It would be a terrible place to have a bad crash in winter; it is quite possible that nobody else would come along there that day and you would probably die of exposure overnight if you were not able to phone for help.

It is horribly wet today but I quite fancy riding up there again soon. Maybe in the next week or so...