Cube with CX or Active plus ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well 1700 off is a good deal as you wont get anything 2019 with the same spec parts esp the forks.

you can spend 3.5k on just a pair of wheels hi end ;)

bbqforce10

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2017
devon
What did you go for in the end and how are you getting on with it (I'm having the same dillema myself re Active Line Plus or CX motor)?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
What did you go for in the end and how are you getting on with it (I'm having the same dillema myself re Active Line Plus or CX motor)?
It's simple. CX for off road and Active plus for everything else. Active plus is smoother, quieter, lighter, more reliable and more efficient. CX gives more torque, which you don't need unless you're very heavy or go up very steep hills. CX is faster than Active Line when both are derestricted.

Powlo71

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 6, 2019
I bought a Cube Reaction Pro Hybrid 400 and I'm very pleased with it, the CX motor is amazing on my first ride I rode up a very steep hill in Turbo mode no problem.
20190210_121003.jpg

Reactions: Andy McNish

plenty

Feb 13, 2019
I bought a CX-equipped Trek Powerfly in Jan. Have not tried the Active Line so cannot offer a comparison, but based on a few weeks of first impressions I would suggest the choice depends on your usage.

When leisure riding in the country I rarely use Turbo but my commute through central London is 95% Turbo. The extra torque is very useful when dicing with traffic.

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I bought a CX-equipped Trek Powerfly in Jan. Have not tried the Active Line so cannot offer a comparison, but based on a few weeks of first impressions I would suggest the choice depends on your usage.

When leisure riding in the country I rarely use Turbo but my commute through central London is 95% Turbo. The extra torque is very useful when dicing with traffic.
I think Turbo on the CX is 300% at 75N and on the ActiveLine Plus it's 280% at 50N - but on the flat from a standing start on Turbo both go like **** off a shovel basically...

I also cycle almost entirely 'off road' (river and canal banks, old railway lines, forest tracks etc.) and the Activeline Plus is better for me as I only use the assist to moderate my HR under 150 (so keep it off a lot of the time).

Of course if 'off-road' means MTB trails then you'll want the CX.

IMHO It is simply about the gradients you need to regularly go up. Up to 15% (or possibly a bit below if you are very heavy/unfit) you are best with ActiveLine Plus IMHO. Over that it's CX.

The CX will work on the flat/with lesser inclines of course, but it's more expensive, heavier, noisier, uses 30% more battery for the same distance, has significant drag when off/over 25mph (unless derestricted) and is likely to be worse for wear and tear/reliability than the ActiveLine Plus.
So you only want it in preference to the ActiveLine Plus if you really need that extra oomph getting up steep hills (or want to derestrict and need more power for added speed).

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
So where does the performance line (cruise?) 63nm sit? Is it essentially a cx with less torque, or an active line with more?
Does it have the same internal gear system as the cx, and therefore subject to the same issues?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the cx is a bit smaller than the performance line motor and has 63nm inside they are the same but they also use the performance motor for the s class bikes so 28mph.

it is what i have and had a dongle on it since 2014 and no motor problems.

plenty

Feb 13, 2019
As it happens I rented an Active Line bike today (Gen 2 not Gen 3) for a 30 mile ride around the South Downs.

The difference versus my CX isn’t night and day, but it was there. There were a few times on the steep ascents that felt the Active Line Turbo wasn’t enough, i.e. I had to drop down to a really low gear to make it up (as a beginner cyclist I have a preference for lower cadence.) Bear in mind I’m certainly not the fittest and have no background in unpowered cycling, so your needs may be different.

And frankly (speaking as the owner of three cars with more than 400 bhp) you simply can’t have too much power :)

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
Did you notice any difference in the 'drag' when pedaling above the 15mph cut off, or when riding without assistance.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Did you notice any difference in the 'drag' when pedaling above the 15mph cut off, or when riding without assistance.
i would not ride my bike with no power even at 20kg it is a tank same with the cut off speed when it stops you wont keep up the speed for long b4 you drop under the limit again and the motor kicks back in.

even if the motor had no drag at all the waight of the bike is just to heavy.

im lazy tho lol ;)

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I think I use my e-bike differently from most. I use it mostly for flat off-road trips - down rivers, canals and cyclepaths...

I use it as a normal bike (with assist off) most of the time and use the motor to manage my heart rate at around 150bpm max.

I will quite commonly finish a 30+ km ride having used only a few % of the battery.

I turn it on:
  • when my HR has gone up over 150 and I'm going up a hill (otherwise I'll tend to just ease off unless I am in a group)
  • when I'm in a hurry for some reason, going under 25km/h and want a speed boost
  • to pull away quickly from a standing start
  • when I'm about to hit a really steep hill or need to plough through soft gorund or other energy sapping surface
  • when I'm in the 3rd or 4th hour of cycling and am starting to get leggy/knee is giving me a twinge etc.
I went on a 50km ride with a cycle club the other week. Two hours in someone asked me about range. I said that I had used the assist for literally 90s seconds so far that day, so didn't really have a clue.

For the above usage profile the 3rd Gen Activepline Plus is ideal.
Really the zero resist (and total silence) is the gamechanger for me.
Quite often I'm pedalling along when the assist is entirely off and have to double-check I'm not on Eco by accident...it feels so easy to pedal...

Reactions: Fishy

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
Thanks, that's great to know.
I'm looking for an e-bike for my daily commute to work and back (about 5 miles each way), and for evening/weekend rides. I'm happy to provide most of the power most of the time, I actually want the exercise, but I'm getting on a bit now, and need some help with the hills. From what you're saying about the lack of resistance without motor input, the ActiveLine+ sounds perfect.