Current measurement

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

Over the years, loads of people have asked about how to now how much current is running from their battery. I normally advise to get a wattmeter, but it takes weeks for one to arrive from overseas and the UK ones are a bit expensive, so here's a quick and very cheap way to do it. No self-respecting ebiker should be without a voltmeter, so, if you haven't got one, go down to Maplin and get one (or Ebay).

First, you make a shunt. I did this one with Deans connectors and 14g wire. The thickmess of the wire is important. You can use different wire, but then you have to calculate a different length - see my spreadsheet in the link at the end. You don't even need connectors. You only have to solder two wires 100mm apart (for 14g) on your battery negative wire, or you can add a piece that goes between whatever connectors you have. Here's a photo of mine:

The thin black wire goes to the battery side, the white goes to the controller side, and you'll not that I've added a third red wire to the positive battery wire. This is so that I can use it as a remote shunt for one of those cheap Wattmeters. The length of 14g wire needs to be exactly 100mm.

All you need to do now is put this arrangement in line and connect the white and black wires to a voltmeter set to measure mV (normally 200mv scale). Here's the results compared to my wattmeter. They're the same at 1 amp and about 10% out at 9 amps. Ideally, I should make another one 11mm longer to get it exact at 10 amps assuming that the wattmeter is correct. The wire is probably a bit thicker than standard 14g, but the result is close enough. The number of mV on the voltmeter is equal to the number of amps.

Links:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55094&p=831298&hilit=current+measurement#p831298

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIGITAL-LCD-VOLTMETER-MULTIMETER-CIRCUIT-TESTER-AMMETER-AC-DC-METER-OHM-/190774031117?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item2c6b04b30d

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ut-30b-digital-compact-multimeter-n15by

Incidently, that's Bezzer's battery on test.

Last edited by a moderator:

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Thanks d8veh for taking the time to provide this great information.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Nice one, D8veh:

Do you think the discrepancy could be due to the length of the solder blobs at the connections?

I was going to ask whether the 100mm length includes the soldered section, or if I'd need to add a bit.

C

Cyclezee

I've got of simpler method of currant measurement:p

20131213_204650.jpg

download (1).jpeg just realised you meant current:eek:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I've got of simpler method of currant measurement:p

View attachment 7546

View attachment 7547 just realised you meant current
Thanks John.....theres nothing quite like a really good giggle before diving under my duvet and snuggling my electric blanket......;)

I love this forum......soooo diverse......you never know just what is coming next.....:D

Lynda :)

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Just to be pedantic.
Currants are not dried grapes, they are the ordinary red and black currants.
Years ago the Greek dried grapes came from Corinth and so they got called in various European languages 'Currants, Korantes etc.
The Turkish dried grapes came from Smyrna and in France are know as 'Dried grapes from Smyrna' but in English they called them by the female form of Sultan, hence Sultana.
There are no currants in a current bun.
Not a lot of people know that!

D

Deleted member 4366

I thought there wassomething fishy about it. The currants in my garden don't grow to 10.8 mm.

melb-ourne

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 3, 2013
melb, australia
Thanks...d8eh.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200962196301?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I build a shunt cheap watts meter last month for my bike based on your very old post. Its working fine but the voltage is slight of by 0.5 volt... based on the watts meter i have changed my cyclying habit... i have increased my cadence from 70 to 90-100rpm and dropping down in gear... improved my efficency from 8Wh/km to 6Wh/km .

you are awesome...thnx
Merry Christmas

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Just to be pedantic.
Currants are not dried grapes, they are the ordinary red and black currants.
Years ago the Greek dried grapes came from Corinth and so they got called in various European languages 'Currants, Korantes etc.
The Turkish dried grapes came from Smyrna and in France are know as 'Dried grapes from Smyrna' but in English they called them by the female form of Sultan, hence Sultana.
There are no currants in a current bun.
Not a lot of people know that!
You're raisin a lot of valid points here.