Custom battery specs needed for this kit

Andrexus

Just Joined
May 14, 2015
Australia
Hello all. I am looking at buying this kit
http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/conversion-kits/direct-drive/front-brompton-kit-with-saw-motor.html
for my Brompton and was hoping to have a battery made to fit in the laptop sleeve of the front bag.
The dimensions would need to be no larger than about 350mm x 250mm x 20mm.
Is this technically feasible and if so what would be the minimum output specs I would need to supply the battery maker to get the best out of this kit.
Thanks.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you made up 10 groups with 4 cells each, then laid 3 groups side by side and 4 rows (3 of 3 and 1 of 1), you'd have a 40 cell 10s4p pack of 11.6ah (Panasonic), which would be 260mm long, 216mm wide and 18mm thick. There would be room in the 4th row for the BMS. Add a couple of sheets of 1mm GRP to stiffen and protect it and Bob's your uncle.

For 20A, though, I think I'd prefer 10S5P, which should still fit. You'll have to make some 90 x 65 mm cards and lay them out to see the best arrangement, leaving enough room for the BMS, which will be about 80 x 50 mm.

Last edited by a moderator:

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Hello all. I am looking at buying this kit
http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/conversion-kits/direct-drive/front-brompton-kit-with-saw-motor.html
for my Brompton and was hoping to have a battery made to fit in the laptop sleeve of the front bag.
The dimensions would need to be no larger than about 350mm x 250mm x 20mm.
Is this technically feasible and if so what would be the minimum output specs I would need to supply the battery maker to get the best out of this kit.
Thanks.
apologies for butting in (i have a brompton and have thoughts about electrifying it too), what made you like this kit? i see 500 plus quid (postage, tax etc), an overseas supplier (i.e. no backup warranty wise), wouldnt banging together the cheapest stuff on BMS' website be better?

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
I agree with selrahc1992, I'd also point out that's a hugely heavy at 3.8kg,and illegal motor for a Brompton - you can get motors which are 1-2kg for a brommie. I thought the whole point of spending a grand on a folding bike was so as to have something lightweight. Panda bikes, bmsbattery.com, elifebike and greenbikekit will all have have something much more suitable and UK legal for small money. Tip - if buying abroad never get a motor wheel as the extra postage doubles the cost.

Reactions: selrahc1992
C

Cyclezee

We don't know where in the world Andrexus is located, if he is North America then he won't have import duty and shipping costs to Europe and may not be illegal.

As it's from Grin it will be good quality.

Andrexus

Just Joined
May 14, 2015
Australia
Thanks all for the input. I live in Australia (just updated my profile) so unless I'm willing to spend over $1000 I'll be importing from somewhere.
The reason I was looking at the Grin kit is that the fork width and dropout sizes are correct, it is a slightly more powerful motor and it comes ready to fit. That being said, if someone can point me to something else similar (eg fork size 80mm or under) on the websites jonathon75 mentioned I have an open mind.

Also my original question re the battery still stands if anyone has any other ideas. Thanks d8veh. (You meant 18650s right?)

Thanks