Cyclamatic - Cheapest battery solution 15ah+

DCUK6

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2013
Hi All,

Just picked up a Cyclamatic Power Plus, just did a 8 mile test ride on it with pretty much full throttle all the way only peddling up hills before it gave up. The battery display said full but as soon as you accelerate it cuts, bad cell or normal behaviour im not sure.

Thought 24v was going to be pants but its actually pretty good, not the same kick as the last time i road a ebike but still good.

Anyway, i would like to get a bigger battery and trying to figure out the cheapest way to do it, budgets tight.
Would like to be able to carry both current and new battery and swap when one runs out.

Have found a few options but would like to ask you guys as im new to all this.

Multistar High Capacity 20000mAh 6S 10C Multi-Rotor Lipo Pack - £113 - No Low voltage cut outs though - Already have charger for upto 6s - Is one of these enough or will i need multiple? Is 10c enough discharge?
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/multistar-high-capacity-6s-20000mah-multi-rotor-lipo-pack.html

Silver Fish Lithium ion Li-ion Battery Charger 24V 15Ah Electric Bicycle Bike - £160 - Does this have its own cutouts?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-Fish-Lithium-ion-Li-ion-Battery-Charger-24V-15Ah-Electric-Bicycle-Bike-/192263786395?hash=item2cc3d08f9b:g:~0oAAOSw3lFZecPu#rwid

vruzend DIY without soldering - Not sure where to get the best batteries from though

Sorry for another battery thread, happy with 24v instead of 36v. Cheaper, and seems to be fine for me and hopefully run cooler with a bit of abuse.
Many thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

A 14v 15Ah one has the same capacity as a 36v 10Ah one, and they're more or less the same price. You get more power and speed from the 36v one, but if you're happy with the power from 24v, then that 15Ah from Ebay looks good. It almost certainly has a BMS in it so plug-and-play, though you might want to check that the terminals are the same way round before connecting it otherwise your controller could go pop.

24V is 7S, so the best lipo equivalent would be a pair of 4S packs in series to make 8S. That will give slightly more power and the low voltage cut-off will be more appropriate.

The original Cyclamatic battery was good for about 10 miles at full throttle with hills. Don't forget that it's only 240 Whs.

Reactions: dr bob and DCUK6

DCUK6

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2013
Thanks d8veh,

Assuming you meant 24v 15ah has the same capacity as 36v 10ah, trying to get my head round this. I thought the ah was the capacity of the battery, the volts just allowed more pressure (In our case torque) which require more amps. (Sorry if your now banging your head on the table)

Does this mean that if the terrain is flat they would go the same distance?Assuming if there are hills the 36v would deplete quicker as its chucking power down to get up the hill.

Sorry, limited/low electrical knowledge.

Yeah, i did notice the hobbyking isnt 24v. I want to tackle a DIY battery but will wait until the next battery i think

Is there any way of telling if the built in controller and electronics can take 36v?

Thats good to know, the guy i brought it from said it was only 6 months old but you can never tell and the state of the brakes, i was questioning this.

D

Deleted member 4366

Several of us have run the Cyclamatic with a 36v battery without problems, but I can't guarantee that no problems will occur. The motor doesn't care what voltage it gets.

You measure battery capacity in watt-hours (volts x amp-hours).

A 36v battery can use up its watt-hours more quickly if you use a higher power level. Unfortunately, the Cyclamatic's power isn't adjustable, so you'd most likely be using more power than you would with the 24v battery, so the range would be most likely less with the 36v one unless you change the controller too to a modern one with power control. if money is tight, that's probably not an option.

Basically, if you're happy with the power at 24v, get the 24v battery. Only get the 36v one if you don't have enough power to get up the hills.

• Agree
Reactions: DCUK6 and Kinninvie

DCUK6

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2013
After finding reading the beastamatic thread i got a bit excited.

Found a fish type 36v 15ah for £235 with charger. Just waiting to see if they will let me collect up in London

B

Brannenthompson1

I bought the 36v 15ah bottle battery same as the fish but how can you test the quoted amp hours as I don't think mine is anywhere near the other day I used about 9ah and battery was at 32v I know the battery will shut off at 25v but the controller 31.5v. So are we all losing 6 volts? Someone must know or is there an industry standard. Because if it is 31.5 volts I'm only getting 10ah out of a 15ah battery. Thanks, I love this site and it's community

Reactions: LeighPing
B

Brannenthompson1

I Bought the 36v 15ah bottle battery from Electric Scooters on E Bay I've had it 2 months and no problems charges to 42v and gives my max 22 amps no problem not getting hot at all, I use the throttle most of the time too. But how do you get 15 ah is it to the BMS cut out at 25volts or the controller under voltage cut out at 31.5volts?

D

Deleted member 4366

You shouldn't go below 31v. Any more will risk all sorts of problems. 25v is much too low. If you went that far, you wouldn't be able to recharge it. Did you get a new controller as well then? If so, which one?

15AH is the capacity at a low discharge rate. It's normal to get a lot less if you go everywhere using a lot of power, but without knowing what control system you have, it's difficult to comment further.

B

Brannenthompson1

No just got the standard 22amp max controller with the kit but I'm looking an I think a Risunmotor controller max amps25, Regen and other stuff with LCD for just over £50, I tried to do the Shunt Mod but due to the heatsink paste I couldn't open the controller fully and the shunts are in the middle no way of getting to them without full disassembly. I've had lots of modded cars and big bikes but I love E-bikes as they cost next to nothing after the initial investment, mines paying for itself by getting me to work as I put the petrol money in a jar. d8veh you've been a help and great community member from what I see.

Dawin

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 13, 2017
Cardiff
Hi fellow Cyclamatic Power Plus owners, recently purchased a second hand Cyclamatic Power Plus, have now covered 160 miles on the bike. 12 miles per trip and charging after every trip, battery 24v 10.5 ah, seems to be doing this run OK with 1 mile of hill climb. I only ride pedal assist and use the throttle to start off. Have not charged after todays ride going to see how far I can ride locally before battery gives up. Must say thoroughly enjoy the bike.

Dawin

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 13, 2017
Cardiff
Hi fellow Cyclamatic Power Plus owners, recently purchased a second hand Cyclamatic Power Plus, have now covered 160 miles on the bike. 12 miles per trip and charging after every trip, battery 24v 10.5 ah, seems to be doing this run OK with 1 mile of hill climb. I only ride pedal assist and use the throttle to start off. Have not charged after todays ride going to see how far I can ride locally before battery gives up. Must say thoroughly enjoy the bike.
Did another 3 miles next day, still not discharged the battery. so probably about 15 +miles per charge.

Last edited: