Cycle Carrier overhang

tobylerone

Just Joined
Oct 4, 2021
Hi,

Been browsing for ages, but never registered and posted, but I thought I would finally!

Looking to buy a carrier to carry my Orbea Wild FS XL to more places (outside ~30 miles of home) - but its really long (with wheels, around 2m) and can't find any info on what I'm asking!

I'd like a towbar mounted carrier, but can you remove the front wheel on them? By the looks of it - the wheel is strapped in although I have thought you might be able to center the bike with the front wheel removed and strap the through-axle instead. Has anyone done this?

That would take it from ~20cm each side of the car (I'm confident it would be OK but I'd be worried all the time) to less than the wingmirrors so I'd be happy taking that around the place.

Thanks.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I can’t answer your question but here’s a crazy thought o_O
If you’re going to remove the front wheel anyway, you could possibly fit a very small wheel from a child’s bike, then it would still fit a standard tow bar carrier ;)

tobylerone

Just Joined
Oct 4, 2021
I'd thought about that - but then I'd also wondered about 3d printing an even smaller 'wheel' that would essentially just be enough for the through axle, and a strap for the carrier to go through.

Going to actually have a look to see if that would work.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
If you can do 3D printing why print a wheel ? You can print a bracket that fits the rack better (maybe a permanent fit) and takes a Q R skewer :cool:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Go for it,
As a retired mechanical engineer, I’d knock something up in my shed and not give it a second thought.
I’m always reluctant to suggest that other people make stuff themselves as some of the people I know struggle t make a cup of tea :D