Cycle Carriers

Robert

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 20, 2007
Hi All

I'm going on holiday for a few weeks and want to take the bikes with me, I'm planning on purchasing a cycle carrier for 2 bikes from Halfords.

It crossed my mind that the Torque at 20Kgs + the other bike at approx 15 Kgs may be too heavy to attach to a carrier on my Mazda 6 hatchback.

Am I worrying needlessly or could their be an issue here?

Any thoughts or advice would as always be very welcome.

Robert

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We had a thread on just this posted by Jeanette Morgan, Robert, and it contained some good advice from Peter (itspeteinit). Here's the link to that thread for you.

Silver_Rover

Feb 19, 2007
Halstead, Essex
Hi Robert

I purchased a 3 bike carrier (£50) from Halford's to transport my Giant Suede (20Kg minus battery). It took some time initially to adjust it to fit my vehicle (Rover 75), but once in place with the bike secured it all felt rock solid. I'm limited to 30Kg maximum load with my saloon car but it's 45Kg max for a hatchback using this carrier, so you should be ok.

Ken

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Here's how to suck eggs

Hi Robert

I purchased a 3 bike carrier (£50) from Halford's to transport my Giant Suede (20Kg minus battery). It took some time initially to adjust it to fit my vehicle (Rover 75), but once in place with the bike secured it all felt rock solid. I'm limited to 30Kg maximum load with my saloon car but it's 45Kg max for a hatchback using this carrier, so you should be ok.

Ken
Make sure that the number plate on the car is not obscured by the bike or the carrier, perhaps the lights too. A lighting board with a number plate on it hung on the bike would obviate any infringement. They are getting very fussy these days about the letter of the law - in France they are worse and the penalties (if they feel really mean) are draconian.
If you do go to the continent you'll need one of those triangles with red stripes on it to hang on the back as well.
Peter

Robert

Jan 20, 2007
Hi Flecc

Many thanks for pointing me towards the previous thread, excellent advice from Peter - I had not realised the elecric cycles are longer than standard bikes.

Ken - Based on your recent post I'm now feeling a bit happier about the carrier and car coping with the weight of my bikes, however the Torque is 76 inches in length and I'm concerned it may extend too much on either side of the car when mounted on the carrier, what length is your Giant Suede bicycle?

Do you think the Torque will be safe enough based on your own experiences?

All the best.

Silver_Rover

Feb 19, 2007
Halstead, Essex
73 inches for the Giant Suede Robert. As can be seen in the photo below, the front wheel tends to rest to one side shortening the overhang. I only bought the High 3 Bike Carrier recently and have only used it on a couple of occasions so far (when I was getting the car serviced). It proved quite stable on the relatively short journey I made and the bike was just as secure at my destination.

Peter is quite correct about not obscuring the rear lights and number plate. Mine are just about clear and I think your Mazda may be all right as well. A hatchback with high tail lights (like a Focus) will definitely require an additional lighting board. In the end you will have to decide whether it's worth taking a gamble for around 50 quid. If you haven't already got a towbar fitted it could well be the cheapest option. Word of warning though, it's quite an effort to lift your e-bike (even minus battery) to the height required to mount it on the rack so if you suffer from the slightest of bad backs I wouldn't recommend it!

Ken

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Silver Rovers set up.

Hi Robert:
Silver Rover's set up looks mighty precarious to me. Probably all right so long as you don't go off-road (with or without intent):eek:

The advantage of the Pendle tow bar fitted rack (see their eponymous web site) if you already have a witter tow bar fitted (must be a Witter or one that has two bolts accessible at the back) is that it is rock solid (in fact there is a 4 bike version).
I travelled to Scotland with a Torq and a Chopper at the legal limit :rolleyes: no problem. And to the south of France many many times (80 mph permitted over there) with two standard touring bikes (about 15 Kg each).
Yeah it's oldish but like new.
It's really a question of throwing money at the problem.
Peter

Robert

Jan 20, 2007
Hi Ken And Peter

You've both given me something to think about regarding the cycle carrier.

My thoughts at this time are that as I won't be using it too often I will probably go for a setup similar to Ken's. For 50 quid it should do the job.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond, and all the best.

Robert

PS That Giant Suede looks to be a very smart bike indeed:)