cycle hats

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Hi everyone
whats your view on wearing a cycle hat i prefer not to wear one as it is still my choice at the moment. nigel.:eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you mean cycle helmets, I don't wear them.

For my early years of motorbiking I didn't wear one either, since there weren't any on the market! When one was finally introduced late in the 1950s, the "Corker", it was made out of compressed cork, fat lot of good that would be in a motorbiking crash. Most of the cycle helmets on the market today are probably of limited use too.

In my opinion it's purely a personal choice issue in which government has no right to interfere.

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
Mr Hothead

Hot topic,

In a recent review written by a journalist who also cycles, he measured the distance motorists allowed him when passing him, with a helmet on, and with no helmet, on average it was 4 inches less when he wore the helmet, scary thought.

After talking with a radiologist at the Middlesex hospital, i am firmly of the opinion that virtually all cycle helmets become more hazardous to the wearer in head impacts over 12 mph, this due to splintering of the helmet material.

i love hats and have many, but cycle helmets just make me too hot, plus you don't get the wind in your hair... ooooh, just like an angel stroking your scalp.

luckily, most GPs feel that compulsory helmets would discourage many would be cyclists, who might otherwise benefit, so the intended legislation is hung.

surely it should remain a personal decision ?

beeps

Hi everyone
whats your view on wearing a cycle hat i prefer not to wear one as it is still my choice at the moment. nigel.:eek:

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Personally, I don't wear one. I don't doubt that they do what they're intended to do, though.

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Make a profit for the manufacturer. :D
LOL!

If they wanted to make the roads safer for cyclists & pedestrians, they should lower the speed limit, in built-up areas, to 20 mph - and enforce it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If they wanted to make the roads safer for cyclists & pedestrians, they should lower the speed limit, in built-up areas, to 20 mph - and enforce it.
Absolutely right!

Since that's motoring law only, I'd still be able to fly back down the long slope from Sainburys at 28 mph of course. ;)

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
And raise the max. speed limit for pedal-assisted bikes to 20 mph, of course! That would create a level playing-field.....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
On a more serious note, something would have to be done about accurate measurement of these lower speeds. The capacity for error in measuring with radar guns and the like rises sharply below about 35 mph, even a minute shift of the gun can cause a very large shift in reading.

Following with a car won't help either, since car speedos have poor accuracy at lower speeds.

Back to old method of following for a set distance could work with a police officer also on a bike with one of our more accurate computer speedos. Raises an interesting image though:

"Good morning Sir, puff pant, I've been following you, puff pant, for one fifth of a mile, puff pant, at 27 mph in a restricted, puff pant, area, puff pant!

One for the camera phone. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They'd certainly be better at low speeds than the current devices if sensed from a non-driven wheel.