Cycle insurance

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
Hi all,

I know that bike insurance has been discussed here in the past, and thought I would add my recent experience to the mix. I bought a Cube Kathmandu (brilliant bike, incidentally) in June and when my home insurance renewal quote dropped through the letterbox last week thought I would see about adding it to the Policy. I had tried a couple of sites during the intervening months and had quotes around £100-150 per year. Aviva are charging me the princely sum of £15.32 additional premium to include a bike up to £2100 on the personal possessions section of the Policy. Includes cover at home and away from home. TBH it is only the accident cover away from home that I really wanted as we live in a low crime area for burglary, and when out with the bike I never let it out of my sight. Getting whacked or pushed off the road by a motor vehicle is a foreseeable risk, however, and happened to me a few years ago. I was pretty well flabbergasted by the quote and snapped his hand off. No bike details required, just the price when new. The usual caveats apply re locking the bike securely for a theft claim. My advice - definitely try your existing home insurer first!

Phil D

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and Fat Rat

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
I use Assetsure and I'm charged £19 a month for two ebikes, a Raleigh Motus @ £2000, and my R-M at £4100. Same caveats: lock your bike when out, lock it in the garage at night.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I use Assetsure and I'm charged £19 a month for two ebikes, a Raleigh Motus @ £2000, and my R-M at £4100. Same caveats: lock your bike when out, lock it in the garage at night.
Wow
That’s more than my car :(
Bike insurance is shocking

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster
I would check that this includes e-bikes as some insurers specifically exclude them in the small print.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
Further to my original post above, I have now studied the Policy, and a couple of points are worth mentioning. My additional £15 annual premium covers each cycle up to £2100, so multiple bikes would be included on the same premium. Also, the caveat re theft at home only requires the bike to be stolen from a locked building. I have clarified that this would include a garage and even a shed; no requirement for a ground anchor. Being locked to an immoveable object is an alternative to being kept in a locked building. I think I have stumbled across a bargain.

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
Hi davell,

Can set your mind at rest on that one. "Pedal cycle includes electrically assisted pedal cycles".

Regards,

• Offensive Language
Reactions: Jimo

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
last time i looked for a 6k bike it was going to be 38 quid a month and i doubt any home insurance wont cover it unless it is separate as it is the same for house hold items that are expensive.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
last time i looked for a 6k bike it was going to be 38 quid a month and i doubt any home insurance wont cover it unless it is separate as it is the same for house hold items that are expensive.
Best quote so far for 6.4K is £290. They offer all sorts that I dont need, like family, Injury, Competition, Europe,bike hire ..In most cases you cant deselect them.. But still looking

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my speakers cost more than my bike :D

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Wow! You guys are big spenders! Feel a bit of a 'square' with my humble Cube!!
Been selling and saving. Mine has been a long time coming in more ways than one.
I once asked someone why they had spent so much on a bike and the answer was that they had more money than life expectancy and whilst this doesnt apply to me, as I get older it gets nearer the mark.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
should try n pick the fkn things up there 65kg each lol:eek:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Aviva and MoreThan are cheap added to house contents insurance, I flip between them at renewal time