cycle path map for android

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I have google maps on my new phone, sustrans only do an iPhone app, does anyone know if there is an available app for traffic free cycle paths for an android phone ?
I am still learning my way around this phone, so sorry if I am missing something obvious :)

Lynda

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Thanks John

C

Cyclezee

Oh yes, forgot to mention RunKeeper, just do a search for it on the app market.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Will do
Thanks John.

bert11

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2011
southwest England
spoke to some Sustrans chaps on a cycle path today; they said the androd version is days away

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Thanks Bert.....thats really good news, I have looked at their iPhone app and its great, so heres hoping the android version is out soon and just as good.
Was beginning to think I should have got an iPhone after all......
However I have already downloaded bike route app and it showed me the route from Ilminster to taunton and automatically took me along the country lanes away from the very busy A358....which I would never cycle along in a month of sundays !
So I think I will get a lot of use out of that app.
I will keep an eye on the sustrans site but would appreciate it if you would post if you hear any more.

C

Cyclezee

Bike Route looks quite good, I have downloaded it and put in a few local routes that I already know, they are exactly the same as the routes I would have tekan.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I think it looks excellent......cant wait to try it out

garrence

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2010
I use Maverick Pro. It shows a map with your current location, direction of travel and which way you are currently facing.

You can switch between different map sources. I mostly use
  • OSM Cycle Map. This is made by volunteers out with bikes and GPS so coverage isn't complete. I'm in Sheffield and it's better than Google Maps. The cycle routes are all highlighted.
  • Google Satellite occasionally if I want to see what a road on the map is like in real life
  • Google Maps on the odd occasion I'm somewhere that OSM doesn't cover well.

If I'm following a route then I'll plot it first on BikeHike and put it on the phone. It's shown as a blue line and is much easier to follow than reading the map.

I cache the map tiles before I set off so they come up straight away without needing an internet connection.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Thanks garrence good info there, Bike Route is certainly very good but will look into the others too :)

Lynda

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Is there anything available for a Blackberry? Any links to "bike route" please, as I cant find nufink.....

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Is there anything available for a Blackberry? Any links to "bike route" please, as I cant find nufink.....
Its BikeRoute.nanosheep.net I think its just for android......

Lynda

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I'd be very wary of using Sustrans routes. Some take you ridiculously out of your way and some go through areas that I wouldn't cycle through after midday let alone in the evening. Your best bet is to use Google Maps combined with Bing maps zoomed to OS level and combine it with a healthy dollop of local knowledge, either your own or from a friend/colleague.

Good luck.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I'd be very wary of using Sustrans routes. Some take you ridiculously out of your way and some go through areas that I wouldn't cycle through after midday let alone in the evening. Your best bet is to use Google Maps combined with Bing maps zoomed to OS level and combine it with a healthy dollop of local knowledge, either your own or from a friend/colleague.

Good luck.
Thats a very good point Caph, I remember two years ago, turning back on the cycle path to bristol as I suddenly didnt feel safe, and that was in the morning.
As a usually solo cyclist, and a woman, I always listen to my instincts, like I have learnt to when wildcamping alone in my m/home....
On that occasion i turned around and headed into Bath and felt totally safe and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Your post serves as a timely reminder that we must always be aware of possible dangers and try to stay one step ahead of potential dangers.

Happy cycling
Lynda