Cycle route apps

Bigfoot

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 5, 2022
Hi. Both got bikes now. Looked at a few apps. The sustrans on initial first looks to faffy.Anybody recommend mob apps that are easy simple to use. No just wanting your details to bombard you with emails ,sales etc. Any recommendations of routes in the North East and Lake District would be most welcome. We want to try out gravel tracks to. Easy to start with not to many hills. Both retired not that experienced. Our bikes are kalkhoff agattu and gazelle grenoble. Planning a motorhome trip to Holland, Germany. Moselle. Where the cycling is easy.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I use cycle.travel website to plan the route, you can select so it uses cycle routes and quiet roads. I then export the .gpx file it creates to komoot for turn by turn navigation on my phone mounted on handlebars. Komoot lifetime world maps subscription is 30 quid, well worth it as you can use offline mode, handy for Europe touring or when no data signal.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Hi. Both got bikes now. Looked at a few apps. The sustrans on initial first looks to faffy.Anybody recommend mob apps that are easy simple to use. No just wanting your details to bombard you with emails ,sales etc. Any recommendations of routes in the North East and Lake District would be most welcome. We want to try out gravel tracks to. Easy to start with not to many hills. Both retired not that experienced. Our bikes are kalkhoff agattu and gazelle grenoble. Planning a motorhome trip to Holland, Germany. Moselle. Where the cycling is easy.
Not a cycling app, but I have OS maps 1:25,000 subscription, on phone tablet and laptop. Familiar style and symbology, lots of detail.

Theaa.com routeplanner is quite useful for an overview of long road based trips.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
After trying many, I settled on Osmand... it's annoying that there is no option to disable canals and long dark narrow canal tunnels in it's route planning - sure you can use the "Avoid" function, but that doesn't work terribly well... which is when I load up Google Maps. I use a separate email address for signups to anything, which is chock full of spam. The feature of Osmand I like most is it's user defined routes - you can set up a load of little connecting destination points to make up your own route very easily.

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
Congratulations on both getting eBikes and enjoy the pleasure that they bring.

We’re going to the Lake District for a holiday later. Just did a search on Google for cycling in the Lake District and it came up with dozens of routes. Chose the ones we wanted, printed the route, instructions and map, then laminated them to use for this trip and future trips.

LivedInLondon

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 9, 2021
Telford
Its worth looking at Komoot, which lets you see other riders routes, and add your own to share (optionally).

You can buy packs for area etc.
I think its good value and an easy to use app.
I mostly use it for tracking, at the moment.