Cycle route recommendations

pl1974

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2008
Hi,

Got a few days off work (you can tell because of the rain :( ). Hoping to get out on the bike later in the week.

Inspired by Stumpi's Scotland outing [thread=6572]Stumpi's Scotland outing [/thread], I fancy trying somewhere new.

So wondered if anyone could recommend some scenic routes anywhere in the middle of uk, I guess of not more than 35miles (Wisper range with a bit of pedalling). I'm based at Stamford in Lincolnshire, but happy to travel 50 miles or so...

Thanks,

Paul

HittheroadJ

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2010
Northern Ireland, BT1
On Google Maps are some cycle routes as well.

The Coast to Coast Cycle Route (C2C) may be a bit too far north.
Coast-to-Coast Cycle Route, UK (C2C) - Google Maps

About 40 miles South are Craig's cycle routes:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=cycle+routes,+uk&sll=54.501948,-2.889404&sspn=0.830919,2.90863&ie=UTF8&t=h&split=1&rq=1&ev=p&jsv=274a&vps=4&lr=lang_nl|lang_en&mrt=ds&ct=onebox&cd=20&cad=onebox

In fact: Centering a map around Stamford and then searching on "Cycle Routes" with the options set to "User Created Maps" gives several interesting maps.

I never heard of the Cycke Chicks before though. :)

cheers,

Day 50 Cycle Tour‎
In the fortnight leading up to Pentecost, Day 50 services will be held in 13 cities across the UK.‎ google.com‎
B
Cycle Chic Network‎
map + links.‎ By bicycle style - google.com‎
C
Cycle Chat Forum members‎
Or you can PM me on Cycle Chat with your screen name and home town. If you want exact placement include your address or I will place you as near as ...‎ By plumbertom - google.com‎
D
Cycle Expeditions‎
A map to allow people to share and promote their own cycle journeys. Please feel free to add your own ride, with details of where people can learn more ...‎ By Alastair - google.com‎
E
Water cycle studies‎
Halcrow water cycle studies in England. For more information please visit

pl1974

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2008
Thanks for these, those trail in Derbyshire look good.

Also impressed with the google maps tip, a bit difficult to find the routes, but quite a few out there, looks like a nice route at Thame, Oxfordshire.

May still go for the book too, as the reviews look good - so if anyone ever needs any cycle route suggestions....

Thanks...

Paul

garrence

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2010
OpenCycleMap.org - the OpenStreetMap Cycle Map

National Cycle Network routes 63 and 64 are near you. The NCN routes I've ridden around Sheffield tend to be through woods, countryside, along (disused) railways, canals. The NCN6 from Mkt Harborough to Northampton is 15 miles of disused railway with an unlit tunnel.

BikeHike is good for drawing your route.

Last edited:

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Living in Stamford, you may have done Rutland Water to death. If you park on the Normanton side of the resevoir, there are lovely rides out towards Morcott and Harringworth.

Alternatively, park in Uppingham and visit the lovely villages such as Lyddington, Stockerston, the Eye Brook reservoir.

Further afield, Norfolk is lovely. Base yourself at Fakenham or Walsingham and head up to the coast to Holkham or Wells. The Goldeneye Norfolk map has plenty of routes on tarmac byroads.

Can't give you much more detail at this moment as I am in Switzerland.

James

pl1974

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2008
Thanks for those. I actually follow national cycle route 63 to get to work in Peterborough. I'd been looking at the Market Harborough to Northampton route earlier this evenming, looks really nice, although the wife isn't keen on 'the marvellously spooky Oxenden tunnel (please use your lights)'. Still looking like favourite though.

Yes, have done Rutland Water plenty of times, actually is surprisingly rough tracks in places. I do like the idea of parking at Uppingham and doing eyebrrok etc.., there are some nice villages out there, the old white hart at Lyddington is fantastic for special occasion meals.

I guess Old Timer is the expert for Norfolk, we were at Hunstanton with the kids on Monday.

Thanks again, beginning to think the book isn't necessary...

Paul

brigaf

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 14, 2006
south lincs
cycle route

1 try riding to great casterton, then tickencote, ketton and other rutland hamlets

2 Ride up empingham rd to Rutland Water.

3 Along by the river to Barnack Road,at Barnack turn right through Southorpe,Along the A47 for a mile to the roundabout then through Castor and Ailsworth up Loves Hill and into Ferry Meadows.All good rides.

pl1974

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2008
Hi brigaf,

Thanks for those - you're obviously a local. I actually live in Gt Casterton and familiar with the routes you suggest in fact, the barnack, southorpe, castor, ferry meadows is my route to work - don't do it every day I hasten to add!!

Thanks though - if you find any others let me know..

David - thanks, had planned to go on Friday, but it came wet, never mind those 'sppoky tunnels' will wait..

Paul