Cycle Routes

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
Is there a thread started on here with a list of some sort for recommended cycle routes? Im thinking more scenic rather than main roads

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Is there a thread started on here with a list of some sort for recommended cycle routes? Im thinking more scenic rather than main roads
Jon, I'm sure you'll find something. Certainly there are a number of riders logs with photos etc... I'm thinking of the Rob Roy way in particular,.... If you are going to be trawling through the threads then why not create a CYCLE_ROUTES spreadsheet? - Its getting lonely out here! ... you could start simply with:
alias, location, thread url
and develope it from there
funkylyn was talking about the Tarka Trail which sounded great. That thread was:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/8814-amazing-tonaro-deals.html

Good luck ..

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Yes, there have been a number of threads on the subject. Rather than searching for them, here are a few links to websites listing routes.

CYCLE-ROUTE

IS-US

TIMES ON LINE

GPS CYCLE ROUTES

CYCLING IN STOKE ON TRENT

Another source of routes is County Councils websites and local Borough Council websites, almost all of them have cycling sections.

Don't forget our old friend Google Earth for checking routes, with 3D enabled you can use 'Street-View' to identify suitable landmarks around the route. Sustrans list routes on their website, if you manage to wade through the self-praise and trumpet-blowing, less said about that the better!.

Ordnance Survey maps are excellent, but I find them too cluttered to understand easily.

That should keep you busy for a few hours.

All the best
Bob

Last edited:

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
If anyone has the time or inclination to have a look at my route which I have "planned" for my trip today then I would be pleased to here suggestions for improvement! ...(I leave in ..6 hours) Currently I have for the Basingstoke to Didcot part of the journey the following:
A340
A4
A340
A329
A417
B4493

and yes.. this is basically the car route provided by theaa.com! ...

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Jon I think that is a great idea because although I'm sure most of us who like off road leisure riding know the links to sustrans etc, its always nice if someone personally recommends a trail because that can jog your memory and,well, off we go :) :)

I can recommend the STOP LINE which is my local one and at the moment is traffic free between Ilminster and Chard with plans to extend it.
A really lovely pretty round trip of around 14 miles, with lots of history, notice boards along the way telling how the huge concrete blocks were erected during the war to stop hitler advancing any further with tanks !

Lynda

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Yes, there have been a number of threads on the subject. Rather than searching for them, here are a few links to websites listing routes.

CYCLE-ROUTE

IS-US

TIMES ON LINE

GPS CYCLE ROUTES

Another source of routes is County Councils websites and local Borough Council websites, almost all of them have cycling sections.

Don't forget our old friend Google Earth for checking routes, with 3D enabled you can use 'Street-View' to identify suitable landmarks around the route. Sustrans list routes on their website, if you manage to wade through the self-praise and trumpet-blowing, less said about that the better!.

Ordnance Survey maps are excellent, but I find them too cluttered to understand easily.

All the best
Bob
Thanks for those links Bob ...they will certainly keep ME busy for a few hours.....hopefully until the beginning of Monaco :)

Lynda

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Jon, I'm sure you'll find something. Certainly there are a number of riders logs with photos etc... I'm thinking of the Rob Roy way in particular,.... If you are going to be trawling through the threads then why not create a CYCLE_ROUTES spreadsheet? - Its getting lonely out here! ... you could start simply with:
alias, location, thread url
and develope it from there
funkylyn was talking about the Tarka Trail which sounded great. That thread was:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/8814-amazing-tonaro-deals.html

Good luck ..
Well I shall certainly be looking up the Rob Roy way....though I've a sneaky suspicion it may be quite a bit north of me :)
Lynda

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
Im currently in the process of re building my PC operating system as i had a MMC issue that i could not resolve after 5 hours of trying grrr so Ive just sorted some working order and now configuring.

Thanks Bob i will check all that out once things are running again, nice to see you have Cycle Stoke in there :) I think our Council have done a fab job of the cycle routes they are all signposted whn ont he too which helps. The more advanced people prob think they are crap but they are aimed at families and i feel they are really good.

Im after something that pulls all these together so while i know 90% of cycle routes in Stoke i have no idea where to go if i fancy some country air say in Snowdonia or the Peak District. I know where to head to for a starting point but i would hate to go without being informed of stuff enroute.

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk

CYCLE-ROUTE

IS-US

TIMES ON LINE

GPS CYCLE ROUTES

All the best
Bob
Rate PC pretty much done so i have done some reading

Out of the list of sites above and from doing some research the best site i have looked over is Cycle Route I came to this conclusion as its the least cluttered with pointless links and adds, and the most informative in a structured and visual way. This site is the idea i had visualised its just a shame that the database is not structured better and user content is not slightly better but thats down to the user not the developer

What do others think?

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
I think if you Google for cycle routes you will get lots of sites where other riders download their bike routes.

By far the best way I have found is by using my Garmin Edge 305 cycle computer. Not only can I download other peoples routes from all over the world, I can download routes I have ridden and also use Google Earth to plan my route.

We went to Malta at the end of 2010 and I sat at home in Denmark and used Google earth to plot several walks we would do during the week, starting and finishing at our B&B. It worked perfectly every time.

The Garmin 305 is an older model and so is quite cheap now. It is the best route assist I have found. I cannot fault it.

Steve

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I think if you Google for cycle routes you will get lots of sites where other riders download their bike routes.

By far the best way I have found is by using my Garmin Edge 305 cycle computer. Not only can I download other peoples routes from all over the world, I can download routes I have ridden and also use Google Earth to plan my route.

We went to Malta at the end of 2010 and I sat at home in Denmark and used Google earth to plot several walks we would do during the week, starting and finishing at our B&B. It worked perfectly every time.

The Garmin 305 is an older model and so is quite cheap now. It is the best route assist I have found. I cannot fault it.

Steve
Hi Steve, do you have a link to the one you have in mind? I'm gonna need one of these! ..

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
If anyone has the time or inclination to have a look at my route which I have "planned" for my trip today then I would be pleased to here suggestions for improvement! ...(I leave in ..6 hours) Currently I have for the Basingstoke to Didcot part of the journey the following:
A340
A4
A340
A329
A417
B4493

and yes.. this is basically the car route provided by theaa.com! ...
Just to say that this turned out to be, for me, on the day, a good route. Mainly A roads. But on a sunday afternoon and evening was very quite and enjoyable ... even had time for a bit of "no hands" riding. The rolling hills of the A417 were hard work but great fun.

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk

Steve
Now this is more my thing, technology lol. I love that idea that you can share maps over GPS etc. Some sites i have come across have GPX files but imho the sites are badly designed, they are more geared for generating money from adverts and i click straight off.

You wouldnt want to go to a library (free site) or a book shop (site where you buy maps) and keep walking down isles to find advertising boards in your way constantly. You want to go to indexing and then find the index number and go straight to what you need. You dont mind posters on the walls though just not in your way.

Ill give that Garmin a look or an equivalent model cheers

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Here is the Garmin Edge 305.

Garmin Edge 305 cycling GPS system review

There are newer versions like Garmin 800 and they are expensive. The 305 still gets good reviews. You do not need heart monitors or cadence doo dahs, they all add to the price.

You need to do your own search for the Garmin Edge 305 and read what they do. I love having mine.

Steve