Cycle to work Juicy bike vs Forme Buxton

jonbel

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 27, 2020
Hi all,

I have signed up to a cycle to work scheme with a max budget of 1400, I've done a fair amount of due diligence with regards to my options. Start of the year those options included Volt Metro, Whisper 806 (Cadence model). I'm at a point where I'm due to make a decision on 2 underdogs. I say underdogs because in terms of reviews there doesn't seem to be a large amount out there. The main purpose for the bike is for it to be somewhat compact and as the title of this post suggests to cycle to work. I currently have a GT aggressor and i wanted to have a bit of a easy life on my commutes going forward. My question to the masses is would there be a preference out of

Forme Buxton Pro :https://formebikes.co.uk/buxton-pro-e.html

Spec wise pretty standard for the budget main reason to go for this option is for the aesthetics

or

Juicy Bike Compact plus : https://www.juicybike.co.uk/electric-bikes/compact-plus-folding-electric-bike

Bit more for your buck in terms of spec (suspension throttle)

I can't find any reviews on any Forme Buxton bikes which might be a sign to stay away, wanted to know if the community had any experience on either.

Thanks in advance

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Can I ask how far your commute is and in which location?
What is your level of fitness and your confidence on a bike?
Your size would help too of course.
And what is your motivation for the commute - improving fitness? Saving money? Avoiding congestion (cars on roads, people in trains)?
It helps a lot to know more about you and your ambitions for the bike.
And you really should take a test ride before buying anything.
You can try some Forme bikes on the Tissington Trail I believe.

Last edited:

jonbel

Apr 27, 2020
Can I ask how far your commute is and in which location?
What is your level of fitness and your confidence on a bike?
Your size would help too of course.
And what is your motivation for the commute - improving fitness? Saving money? Avoiding congestion (cars on roads, people in trains)?
It helps a lot to know more about you and your ambitions for the bike.
  • Fairly confident with a bike, I currently use an MTB to get to work which is about 20 miles there and back.
  • My main agendas are to avoid London transport (Obviously not important for now), keep up with the fitness and get to work in a reasonable time without being in a hot mess when I get there (My route is quite hilly).
  • Lastly im 5'7
Hope this helps

Reactions: JuicyBike

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Start of the year those options included Volt Metro, Whisper 806 (Cadence model).
I would suggest adding to your list the Woosh Rio MTB:
It is a very comfortable lightweight commuter and fitted with a large capacity battery (650WH) and quality parts (brakes, shocks, crankset etc). 18" frame, suits your height too.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Personally I wouldn't recommend a folding electric for commuting more than 7 miles each way. That's for comfort - smaller wheels are twitchy and the ride is less relaxing.
They are quite awkward to carry too and better suited to the boot of a car than carried onto trains.
Sorry to sound negative but I wouldn't ever simply recommend one of our bikes to make a sale.
Can I ask, why a folder?

Reactions: Gaz and Amoto65

jonbel

Apr 27, 2020
Personally I wouldn't recommend a folding electric for commuting more than 7 miles each way. That's for comfort - smaller wheels are twitchy and the ride is less relaxing.
They are quite awkward to carry too and better suited to the boot of a car than carried onto trains.
Sorry to sound negative but I wouldn't ever simply recommend one of our bikes to make a sale.
Can I ask, why a folder?
Mainly for space and for packing in the car boot. I live in a flat full of bike lovers so it would make it easier to fit in. Happy to consider a larger bike if it fits within the budget.

Reactions: JuicyBike

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Personally I would suggest a lightweight electric with 28" wheels. We do 3 models and we also have a stockist in North London that stocks other makes too. So you could choose from someone local with access to plenty of alternatives.
And we do have Compact Plus in stock to send out tomorrow if you insist :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Mainly for space and for packing in the car boot. I live in a flat full of bike lovers so it would make it easier to fit in. Happy to consider a larger bike if it fits within the budget.
you don't save much storage space with folding bikes that have a mid beam fold.
Only an electrified Brompton does that.
This converted B75 has 13AH battery (468WH), giving about 40 miles from a full charge.

Brompton folded: 60cm L x 70cm H x 35cm W (with folded pedals, 45cm with non folding pedals), 45cm W with non-folding pedals.
The Brompton is easier to carry in the lift and up the stairs too.

This is a Rambletta folded (87cm L x 70cm H x 35cm folded pedals), the Rambletta has a range about 35-40 miles.

It takes 1.5 times the volume of the Brompton folded and you can't carry a folded Rambletta. You can lift it and move it in and out of the car but unwieldly to carry.

Last edited:

jonbel

Apr 27, 2020
you don't save much storage space with folding bikes that have a mid beam fold.
Only an electrified Brompton does that.
This converted B75 has 13AH battery (468WH), giving about 40 miles from a full charge.

Brompton folded: 60cm L x 70cm H x 35cm W (with folded pedals, 45cm with non folding pedals), 45cm W with non-folding pedals.
The Brompton is easier to carry in the lift and up the stairs too.

This is a Rambletta folded (87cm L x 70cm H x 35cm folded pedals), the Rambletta has a range about 35-40 miles.

It takes 1.5 times the volume of the Brompton folded and you can't carry a folded Rambletta. You can lift it and move it in and out of the car but unwieldly to carry.

Rambeletta looks pretty trendy, is this cadence or torque?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's a cadence sensor, 12AH battery.
The current Rambletta does not have as good gearing as the Brompton's.
The next batch of Ramblettas arriving in August is better geared for commuting.
I may have some spare time in June, I can try fitting the torque sensor kit to it to see how it goes. It's not a bad idea, the torque sensor kit has simpler wiring.

Reactions: jonbel

jonbel

Apr 27, 2020
Thanks, both for the assistance, I ended up choosing a Raleigh Motus in the end. The woosh faro was my first option but upon enquiring your company doesn't support my cycle to work voucher at this stage. And the Juicy bikes were nice but the ones that caught my eye were bit above my budget on the voucher. The Motus is decent, smooth drive with the crank motor, only draw bike that it is extremely heavy.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Thanks, both for the assistance, I ended up choosing a Raleigh Motus in the end. The woosh faro was my first option but upon enquiring your company doesn't support my cycle to work voucher at this stage. And the Juicy bikes were nice but the ones that caught my eye were bit above my budget on the voucher. The Motus is decent, smooth drive with the crank motor, only draw bike that it is extremely heavy.
As ive heard from some on this very site inc from Woosh is that heavy doesn't matter
with regards electric bikes so much so u should be fine id think .

jonbel

Apr 27, 2020
As ive heard from some on this very site inc from Woosh is that heavy doesn't matter
with regards electric bikes so much so u should be fine id think .
Exactly that, only established brand that I see doing lightweight e-bikes would be the Coboc bikes. Set you back 3 grand minimum.