Cycle to work scheme

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Hi,

As a subtopic in another thread "Making a decision based on data...", forum member Bob_about makes the point that the cycle to work scheme will not work out worthwhile for him becuase his company is making the estimate of "fair market value" of the bike at completion of the scheme by using Ebay prices which he would have to pay if he wanted to keep the bike. This will likely mean the bike will work out more expensive than if he'd just bought it himself up front.

Part of the rules of the scheme are that employers are not allowed to tell the employees how much they will be selling the bikes for at the end of the scheme.

Does anyone have any experience of using the cycle to work scheme? How are your employers assessing "fair market value"?

My employer is due to start this next year and I want to be able to provide feedback/suggestions to them so it gets implemented in a sensible way.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Hi,

As a subtopic in another thread "Making a decision based on data...", forum member Bob_about makes the point that the cycle to work scheme will not work out worthwhile for him becuase his company is making the estimate of "fair market value" of the bike at completion of the scheme by using Ebay prices which he would have to pay if he wanted to keep the bike. This will likely mean the bike will work out more expensive than if he'd just bought it himself up front.

Part of the rules of the scheme are that employers are not allowed to tell the employees how much they will be selling the bikes for at the end of the scheme.

Does anyone have any experience of using the cycle to work scheme? How are your employers assessing "fair market value"?

My employer is due to start this next year and I want to be able to provide feedback/suggestions to them so it gets implemented in a sensible way.
I think what the company is doing is outragous. The reason for the final payment is that the cycle to work scheme has to work within the existing legislation (rather than the lazy sods in parliament doing some work) so we end up with a nominal payment to comply with the law. This is usually 5% (+VAT) of the initial cost of the bike. Anything more makes a mockery of the scheme as it doesn't save that much money for the heap of trouble that it is. For example the retailers like to pass on the cost of running the scheme (perhaps via cyclescheme.co.uk) that adds 10%, if your employer is not registered to pay VAT (perhaps you work for the NHS) you lose this bonus.

It is a bit of a mess anyway as there are so many different schemes running and some bike retailers running their own scheme. So if you work for a big company they will want to run it through cyclescheme or halfords and you can be limited with the choice of bikes. Cytronex for example refuse to deal with any external company, only having their own scheme. So I cannot buy a Cytronex except by paying the full amount. I could buy through 50 cycles though.

In theory you shouldn't be allowed to top up the £1000 limit (imposed again through the scheme having to run within the laws and anything above requiring a credit licence). Many retailers allow you to top up but then how do you work out the final payment? Not via ebay that is for sure.

I agree the final payment is problematic and will give you an anecdotal story. When the Police started the scheme they used Evans cycles, a few policemen seeing an easy profit bought the bikes under the scheme, thinking they could sell they as nearly new after a year. However to work out what the final payments were they were asked to bring the bikes in for assessment. So all those which were well used bikes were virtually worthless and given low final payments - however all those lovely new bikes were given very high final payments...

Last edited:

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Hmmn it wouldn't surprise me if my company operated the scheme through cyclescheme or similar. If this is the case I guess a new Cytronex is out of the question unless they change the way they do business :(

The £1000 limit shouldn't be an issue as I believe my company has a consumer credit license.

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
There's an interesting timeline for the scheme at the end of this bikebiz.com article:

Buy your bike free of tax | Bicycle business | News by BikeBiz

The scheme provides straight forward tax breaks if an employers bears the expence of the bikes and retains ownership of them, so if a company bought a fleet of cycles and lent out them out to employees as a perk (in much the same way as they might provided a company car) then the scheme would work a treat.

It gets complicated if the employers try to recover the cost of the bikes from employees and then transfer ownership once the bikes are paid for. The scheme only covers loaned cycles, any agreement to sell the bike to the employees invalidates it, so you end in a situation where at the end of the initial hire period the employee has sacrificed the value of the bike from his salary but the bike is still owned by the employer.

The tax man and Office of Fair Trading both appear to be willing to fudge the rules to allow the tranfer to go ahead for a nominal payment, but for this this to happen the emlpoyers needs to be flexible enough to join in the fudge, an over zelous finace department could insist on a rigorous valuation instead of accepting the 5% of the original value that is hinted at. The employers also needs to be trustworthy enough not to take advantage of the situation and try to screw an extra bit of money out of their employees (if they're not trustworthy then the cycle-to-work scheme is the least of your problems :eek:).

I'm getting my X6 through the scheme, I work for a charity so I lose out on the VAT saving, and it went through cyclescheme so my local bike shop had to charge me the full list price (cycleschem take 10% commision from the bike shop). But the monthly cost is less than I would be spending on train fares, so even if my employers did get silly about the final payment (I don't think for one moment that they will) I could walk away without being out of pocket.

Patrick

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
(cycleschem take 10% commision from the bike shop)
So you are paying about 15% APR on an interest free loan and you can't be sure you won't be screwed over at the end of it. Couple that with the £1000 limit (not official but convenient for the finance company to say it is) and it seems like the scheme has been designed just to put money in the finance companies pocket.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
So you are paying about 15% APR on an interest free loan and you can't be sure you won't be screwed over at the end of it. Couple that with the £1000 limit (not official but convenient for the finance company to say it is) and it seems like the scheme has been designed just to put money in the finance companies pocket.
Another reason for the £1000 limit is that the companies have to put the money up front. I know my company initially put that argument as an objection to joining the scheme. I suppose they have a point but they get a 5% return which at today's interest rates is reasonable. But you are right the 10% take by the cyclescheme is a rip off and another reason I am reluctant to sign up again. It should be so much simpler...

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
Hi,

Hi Pedalo

Seeing your post I have managed to have a conversation over lunch today with the person who wrote the report here and who will be administering the scheme for us.

The report which recommended we adopt the scheme refered to another local organisation which makes a final 13th deduction at the same rate and takes that to be the fair market value for the bike. The report notes, however, that the scheme prohibits the agreement of this value at the start of the agreement and that other options such as comparison of prices on e-bay or phone calls to local cycle shops as a check could be used. From the meeting minutes it is not clear how much this was debated or discussed.

The person who will be administering the scheme is clear that they will not have time to chase round e-bay, inspect the condition of bikes, or start ringing cycle shops to get estimates of the value. They would prefer to charge a final deduction at the same rate to transfer ownership and that is what they are proposing to do when the scheme is introduced in the spring.

This is re-assuring to hear, but not completely cast iron. This person could leave, could be instructed to implement the scheme differently or could be audited and required to make additional checks on fair market value.

The bottom line here, as I see it, is that the scheme relies on emplyers being prepared to bend the rules a little to work around the letter of law in how it has been set up - a typical fudge of something designed for a different purpose. This will always leave the employee potentially vulnerable as it is clear that the final value cannot be agreed prior to signing up, so we have to sign up trusting that a certain approach will be taken, with no written gurantees. (but as Patrick said, if you cannot trust your employer, then a cycle scheme is the least of your worries!)

Having said that, the person I spoke to sees that the company will recoup all its outlay over the 12 repayments
They will also make a small profit from the 13th settlement figure and from not having had to pay the employers proportion if NI contribution on the sacrificed element of the salary. Therefore would be no motivation to take a harder line and charge more and so they are 99% confident that this is how it would pan out.

Therefore the figures would look like this

Cost put through scheme - £1000

Gross Monthly reduction - £72.46
Net salary sacrifice - £50.00

Cost over 12 months - £600.00

Final payment to transfer ownership - £50.00
(from net salary this time as annual salary will have gone back up to pre-scheme amount)

Total cost of £1000 worth of bike - £650.00

Settlement figure equates to 5% of initial cost as indicated as a guide on the cycle scheme website.

Apologies if my previous postings refering to e-bay valuations was misleading or alarmist. I confess I was not in full possession of the facts not having spoken directly with the person who will administer the scheme.

I now have and have changed my opinion of how useful it could be for me. I am reasonably confident the scheme could help me save some money providing the supplier is prepared to play the game as well in removing battery etc to reduce my chosen bike to £1000 and then let me buy the additional kit outside the scheme.

Feels like alot of faff, but I guess only has to be done once, and the advantage is spreading some of the cost over 12 months!

Hope this post makes sense?!

All the best

Bob_about

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Therefore the figures would look like this

Cost put through scheme - £1000

Gross Monthly reduction - £72.46
Net salary sacrifice - £50.00

Cost over 12 months - £600.00

Final payment to transfer ownership - £50.00
(from net salary this time as annual salary will have gone back up to pre-scheme amount)

Total cost of £1000 worth of bike - £650.00
You have forgotten the 10% or premium charged by Cyclescheme (unless your company is doing the work themselves), the £1000 bike you probably could have got elsewhere for £900.
The net salary sacrifice will be less than that as IIRC you don't pay employees NI on it either and a higher rate tax payer will be even better off.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
They get more than that for most people as Employers Class1 NI contribution is 12.5%.
Yes I suppose they do save that as well - good point. Everybody is a winner..mmm.

Tourangang

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 18, 2009
Cytronix not members of cycle to work scheme

hi all

This is my first post - i have been eagerly awaiting my membership to become active for a few weeks.

I cant believe cytronix wont accept vouchers, i work for edf energy and they have just become members of the Tax free bikes for work through the Government's Green Transport Initiative - Cyclescheme, provider of Cycle to Work schemes for UK employers and they tell me they dont take any profit from the sceme, infact i have in my possesion a voucher for £1000 that i can use at any of thier participating bike shops. I would have been willing to pay whatever on top to have cytronix build me a nice pedelec, we even agreed that, but then they broke it to me that they only take thier own vouchers - I was well gutted.

so im now going to a my local bike shop in Taunton to try a wisper 9050se - Frankly i dont think cytronix deserve business if they are so inflexible with regards to teh cycle to work Schemes.

sorry for my negativity on my first post

merry xmas

Last edited:

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
hi all

this is my first post - i have been eagerly awaiting my membership to become active for a few weeks.

i cant believe cytronix wont accept vouchers, i work for edf energy and they have just become members of the Tax free bikes for work through the Government's Green Transport Initiative - Cyclescheme, provider of Cycle to Work schemes for UK employers and they tell me they dont take any profit from the sceme, inface i have in my possesion a voucher for £1000 that i can use at any of thier participating bike shops. I would have been willing to pay whatever on top to have cytronix build me a nice pedelec, we even agreen, but then they broke it to me that they only take thier own vouchers - well gutted.

so im now going to a my local bike shop in Taunton to try a wisper 9050se - Frankly i dont think cytronix deserve to be in business if they are so inflexible

so for my negativity on my first post

merry xmas
That's not my understanding from the Cytronex No-hill cycle to work scheme web page:
Government Schemes

"Cycle to Work Scheme

Here is how it works:

The employee downloads the order form, sample pre contract and hire agreement on the right, then they choose the Cytronex package and size of bike that they want, complete the order form and hand to the employer. "

Am I missing something here?

Edit: Ahhh Is Cyclescheme another middleman like Halfords that does the work for the Company?

Last edited:

Tourangang

Dec 18, 2009
i think so - they only accept thier own vouchers

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
hi all

This is my first post - i have been eagerly awaiting my membership to become active for a few weeks.

I cant believe cytronix wont accept vouchers, i work for edf energy and they have just become members of the Tax free bikes for work through the Government's Green Transport Initiative - Cyclescheme, provider of Cycle to Work schemes for UK employers and they tell me they dont take any profit from the sceme, infact i have in my possesion a voucher for £1000 that i can use at any of thier participating bike shops. I would have been willing to pay whatever on top to have cytronix build me a nice pedelec, we even agreed that, but then they broke it to me that they only take thier own vouchers - I was well gutted.

so im now going to a my local bike shop in Taunton to try a wisper 9050se - Frankly i dont think cytronix deserve business if they are so inflexible with regards to teh cycle to work Schemes.

sorry for my negativity on my first post

merry xmas

I spoke to Mark about this a month or so ago. I get the impression that it will cost him money or us money to use cyclescheme so he is not interested. Most big companies will go for this scheme or halfords so you like me are stuck. I got the impression that he is selling all that he can make so another reason not to bother with the scheme. I would be interested in your experiences buying a Wisper with a voucher, although I have read a review describing the 906 as moped like. The cytronex are anything but moped like.

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Im not sure if this has been mentioned before but although Cyclescheme is free to employers of under 2000 staff across the UK ,they take 10 % commision from the bike shop.Over 2000 employees then Cyclescheme then also charge the participating company a further 10% per sale.Maybe Cytronex margins are not high enough to give away 10 % per sale?.Cyclescheme is one of the fastest growing companies in the UK,I think I read this is some bike mag recently?Its niche is exploiting the loop hole of lazy employers who dont understand the Governments scheme or cant be bothered.If your lazy company has signed up to Hellfords or Cyclescheme you stilL may be able to use Cytronex own voucher scheme,it useS the Government scheme which IS FREE!Cyclescheme is clever but self profitering.We recently were contacted by a new outfit that target NHS employees,they wanted 15% commision per sale,yeah righto:mad:

Fat Elvis

Aug 8, 2008
I have had a couple through the scheme now, One Wisper 905se and now my Ultramotor. It is a good scheme but I know with the charge from the scheme they struggle to make a profit on the electric bikes where margins are much tighter.

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Unfortunately it seems cyclescheme have a bit of a stranglehold and I guess there's not really much incentive for companies not to use it because it's the cycle shops taking the 10% hit in general and not the employees/empoyers - and it seems to simplify things for them.

If a shop passes that 10% charge back to the customer they would likely lose the sale because the customer would tend to go to another shop that isn't passing on this charge.

Perhaps what's needed is for the shops to split the difference - e.g. add 5% to the cost of the bike for using cyclescheme but offer a 5% discount for not using it. This way perhaps more employers might consider moving away from using cyclescheme...

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
although I have read a review describing the 906 as moped like. The cytronex are anything but moped like.
Harry, could you please point me in the direction of the 906 review? as I am waiting to see before making my mind up re new bike.......

found it

http://www.cytronex.com/reviews/WiredCapoReveiw.pdf

hardly a review.This is obviously a cytronex advert and not a fair like for like comparison or test. "moped like" How can they come to that conclusion...compared to a road bike? yes heavy but not compared to similar e bikes I would think? Big? again, compared to a stripped down road racer.......

I await a proper test/review

Last edited:

GT3

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2009
I've looked into this in some detail.

The end of scheme 'purchase' is indeed an ugly fudge and typical of the current gov't.

The £1,000 limit is a permitted exception to the consumer credit regime, so companies with a licence can extend unlimited credit.

All the Cyclescheme type companies do is provide a suitable credit agreement (between employer and employee), facilitate the purchase and give guidance. I will be preparing my own credit agreement. With that, the employer buys the bike direct (no middleman, no vouchers etc) and employee pays the 12 or more payments, then the fudge final purchase.

I will make it my New Years resolution to complete the agreement and post it up here. Hopefully, that may take some money from the army of consultants who live on our backs as (has been said above) Brown can't be bothered to do the job properly.