Cycle tracks

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Yes and no.

Yes, I have used the Scarborough to Whitby track.

No, it would not be suitable for a 20" folder.

That is partly dependent on the weather, but stretches of the track are badly rutted.

Lots of complaints locally about it, so something may have been done since I was on it.

Also dependent on your bike handling skills.

Mine are not that good, so I ended up pushing for stretches.

If you do a round trip, bear in mind it's mostly downhill from Whitby to Scarborough.

You will need a lot more battery capacity for the other direction.

Nice, former station style tea room at the Scarborough end.

Reactions: artspeck

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Not sure what your plans are, but there is a bike hire/cafe in a former station just south of Whitby, off the main road.

They had Haibike eMTBs when I was in.

Even if you don't hire one, you could ask the bloke there because he will have up to date intelligence on the track's condition.

Reactions: artspeck

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
Winlaton Mill 6 miles from Newcastle
It is some years since I tried this on a 20 inch wheel Dahon, non assisted bike. Starting from Scarborough, it was indeed very rough n parts.

This is symptomatic of the British attitude to off road cycle routes. Billions for road improvements and a few scraps for those 22nd class citizens, those unwashed cyclists.

Next time a politician talks about climate change emergency.....I feel like forcing them to cycle for 6 months.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
The last time I did this, about two years ago, it was a flat cinder track full of families with kids on all sorts of bikes. If I remember correctly most of it was about 10ft wide and surface dressed. I used it twice as a return from Scarborough after doing a North Yorks moors loop.
Now, the coastal path is another kettle of fish, but we can’t cycle on that.