Cycling. Health. Covid. Diet.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

DSC_0703_02_01.JPG
x4 per day or tramps **** ;)
S1030523_01.JPGS1030690.jpg

lots of that in my vape and im still not dead after 30 years good job there is no testing for bike riders id be 3 million times over the limit for everything pmsl.

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

If the extraction and settling is raw/coarse sieved then one gets added extras like fine wax and larger pollen particles that rise with the air bubbles to form the froth/cream.

A lot of honey is sieved through finer mesh's which removes all wax and coarser pollen particles as well as some of the finer ones, the pollen is rich in vitamins.

Commercial supermarket honey is awful and partly pasteurised to about 70c killing off the goodness and flavour for long shelf life, even worse is a lot of it is fake being from non eu blended honey which invariably means far east and S. Am. These countries dilute real honey for profit with corn syrup and sucrose as well as other sweeteners, unsuspecting buyers don't know the difference and are used to a sweet bland tasteless honey, next time you are tempted to buy honey look on the label if it says honey from non eu sources leave it on the shelf.

I'm going to have to befriend a local beekeeper and try some! Will definitely avoid the blends.

Most of my fence is a living fence so any animal can come and go in my garden, 40 -50 ft run of copper beech and 35ft odd feet run of very smelly WInter box or Sarcococca 'confusa' very aromatic in winter. Since last May our regulars have been three fox cubs, now down to just one who is now an adult. He/she comes nearly every dusk /night for some tit bits and patiently sits at the back door, hopefully more cubs will arrive this year. Last time I saw any sign of a hedgy in the garden was a mating pair a dozen or so years ago, I have a house for them but it hasn't been utilised yet.

That's all just magic! Very sadly, hedgys are very much in decline. I decided to cut holes in my fence when I saw a very thin hedghog who had become trapped in my garden, and had run out of food. He/she had wandered in while the gate was left open, at some point. After I left the garden gate open for twenty minutes, I found that it had followed me to my front door, but as I was offering it some raisins, a passing car headlight frightened it so much it actually let out what sounded like a little hedgehog scream and scuttled off. I hope it had enough time to fatten up before hibernation.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I get through loads of honey, but I just buy the cheapo £1 jars in Morrison's. I keep hoping that friendly forum members would donate some of the good stuff, but I never even got an empty jar to sniff.

I put it on my Weetabix everyday with fruit. I put a big dob in my frozen mixed vegetables, which sweeten them up and changes them from tolerable to desirable, and I put some in my chicken.

Here's a great recipe
Take some cheapo frozen chicken mini breasts and microwave until cooked (4 mins)
Put a big dob of your favourite ketchup in a teflon frying pan - maybe 6 tablespoons. I prefer tomato, but it works with barbecue and probably brown sauce too. Try it. Add about 1/3 as much honey. You can also add a pinch or two of pepper and maybe a teaspoon of sweet chilli to spice it up.

Heat it up and stir it up until it boils. Keep going until it starts to thicken, then cut up the chicken and toss it in. It doesn't matter if you have a few uncooked patches from the microwave because it'll get cooked at this stage. Turn the heat up to maximum and keep turning the chicken in the source until it goes really sticky. That's it - absolutely gorgeous. You make the source while microwaving the chicken, so the whole thing takes about 5 minutes. I invented this myself, so I don't have a name for it. I need some suggestions.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I get through loads of honey, but I just buy the cheapo £1 jars in Morrison's. I keep hoping that friendly forum members would donate some of the good stuff, but I never even got an empty jar to sniff.

I put it on my Weetabix everyday with fruit. I put a big dob in my frozen mixed vegetables, which sweeten them up and changes them from tolerable to desirable, and I put some in my chicken.

Here's a great recipe
Take some cheapo frozen chicken mini breasts and microwave until cooked (4 mins)
Put a big dob of your favourite ketchup in a teflon frying pan - maybe 6 tablespoons. I prefer tomato, but it works with barbecue and probably brown sauce too. Try it. Add about 1/3 as much honey. You can also add a pinch or two of pepper and maybe a teaspoon of sweet chilli to spice it up.

Heat it up and stir it up until it boils. Keep going until it starts to thicken, then cut up the chicken and toss it in. It doesn't matter if you have a few uncooked patches from the microwave because it'll get cooked at this stage. Turn the heat up to maximum and keep turning the chicken in the source until it goes really sticky. That's it - absolutely gorgeous. You make the source while microwaving the chicken, so the whole thing takes about 5 minutes. I invented this myself, so I don't have a name for it. I need some suggestions.
How about "vfr's chicken surprise"? :)

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)

Here's a great recipe ... < sort of a stick spicy bbq chicken.. >
That's it - absolutely gorgeous. You make the source while microwaving the chicken, so the whole thing takes about 5 minutes. I invented this myself, so I don't have a name for it. I need some suggestions.
A friend does a lot of cooking, I don't. Last night she was explaining something very similar but with added demerrera sugar (+ optional Worcester sauce) I already have frozen pork fillets and have been shopping today for any other bits I needed. Will try it for tea tonight ;)
Any else got any other healthy microwave / 5 minute zero effort recipies? :p

Honey is also a staple for me, it goes well on anything from fruit to porridge. Vastly underrated ;)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Honey has all sorts of weird anti-bacterial properties. I always put some in jam or any other preserved fruits from my gardon. Last autumn I made about 50 tubs (from Chinese takeaway) and 20 jars of stewed apples with some honey in. Despite not really taking any decontammination precautions, all were/are perfect - not much left now though. I can eat a whole tub at a time.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A friend does a lot of cooking, I don't. Last night she was explaining something very similar but with added demerrera sugar (+ optional Worcester sauce) I already have frozen pork fillets and have been shopping today for any other bits I needed. Will try it for tea tonight ;)
Any else got any other healthy microwave / 5 minute zero effort recipies? :p

Honey is also a staple for me, it goes well on anything from fruit to porridge. Vastly underrated ;)
Let us know how you get on.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Just an aside and a warning, in May, a lot of people were talking about vitimin supplements to help fight covid. As i hyad a bad diet and unhealthu life-style, I thought it might be prudent to start taking some. I was taking multi-vitamins and vitimin D from Superdrug. I ended up in hospital with so many blood clots in my lungs that I couldn't get enough oxygen. Nobody has been able to explain where they came from and why. Since then, they've gone away. My lifestyle and diet hasn't changed from what is was before. The only change is not taking the vitimin suppliments. I'm not saying that it's they that caused it, but there is no other eplanation at the moment. Maybe these sort of things just happen by osmosis or too many charmed quarks in my charmed Sigma baryons got bashed by antiquarks from another universe, which changed their spin to 0.6 instead of their normal 1/2. Who knows?

• Informative
Reactions: Scorpio

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Let us know how you get on.
As a first attempt it was ok but needs work before I'd offer it to anyone else.
Served with new potatoes, leaf salad & mayo. Leftover beer to wash it down.

Defrost the frozen fillets in the microwave on low power.
Mix a paste from tomato sauce, dash of worcester sauce, honey, demarrera, add flour, and a good measure of beer.
Dip fillets in the sauce and into a hot frying pan, drizzle leftover sauce over the meat, keep turning it.

I thought it would be a strong flavour but it was quite mild - I guess due to the cooking.

D

Deleted member 33385

Here's a great recipe

If you wanted, one substitution and an addition would make your heart-clogger-special a bit less heart cloggy: Substitute chicken with spouted chickpeas, and add a grain - rice or wheat (boiled rice or bread of some sort). Cook the beansprouts for one minute. Combine any bean with any grain, and you get a complete cholesterol-free amino acid chain ie a complete protein. Veggie sources also load your muscles with glycogen - lots of vegan athletes these days, especially endurance athletes.

Just an aside and a warning, in May, a lot of people were talking about vitimin supplements to help fight covid. As i hyad a bad diet and unhealthu life-style, I thought it might be prudent to start taking some. I was taking multi-vitamins and vitimin D from Superdrug. I ended up in hospital with so many blood clots in my lungs that I couldn't get enough oxygen. Nobody has been able to explain where they came from and why. Since then, they've gone away. My lifestyle and diet hasn't changed from what is was before. The only change is not taking the vitimin suppliments. I'm not saying that it's they that caused it, but there is no other eplanation at the moment. Maybe these sort of things just happen by osmosis or too many charmed quarks in my charmed Sigma baryons got bashed by antiquarks from another universe, which changed their spin to 0.6 instead of their normal 1/2. Who knows?

Smokers, ex-smokers and road cyclists should not take Vitamin A, Vitamin B12 or Vitamin E in supplement form, and certainly not the overdoses sold in many places - there is an increased risk of cancer. Smoke, pollution, causes lung inflammation, which can lead to cancer. Avoid taking more than 100% RDA of any vitamin, better still, don't take any vitamin tablets at all unless you know exactly what you are deficient in and can't get that vitamin or mineral or combination from your diet. Vitamin C is totally safe - any excess gets pissed out. I've never heard of anyone suffering from ill effects from taking 100% RDA Vitamin D tablets, and it's a good protection against many a malady including Covid, or you could leave fresh mushrooms in the sun for an hour and they'll make Vitamin D for you. Many multivitamin/multimineral tablets are far too packed with serious overdoses of pretty much everything. A mineral like iron for instance, can't be flushed out and will build up, causing problems. Always get as much as you can from your diet! BTW beanspouts contain Vitamin C.

I'm not Vegan or Vegetarian exactly, or by choice. I used to eat everything... "Make me a crocodile sandwich, and make it snappy!" etc.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
uk 750cal

usa 740cal

we get skanked in mcdonalds we do and pay more as well for half as much o_O

D

Deleted member 33385

uk 750cal
View attachment 41051

usa 740cal

View attachment 41052

we get skanked in mcdonalds we do and pay more as well for half as much o_O

Burgers taste awesome cooked on cast iron skillets - uncoated (without enamel or Teflon) lasts forever, while being cheaper than good non-stick pans. I "Season" them (make non-stick, almost as non-stick as Teflon), using any cooking oil. Pro Chefs will apply 15 layers, I apply three or four to start with and never wash it - just rub with salt and a paper towel, to remove any crusty bits (soak only if necessary, but never use detergent, rub lightly with a soft sponge, then dry), apply then a thin layer of oil before putting it away. Nothing before 4m52s is necessary:

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Burgers taste awesome cooked on cast iron skillets - uncoated (without enamel or Teflon) lasts forever, while being cheaper than good non-stick pans. I "Season" them (make non-stick, almost as non-stick as Teflon), using any cooking oil. Pro Chefs will apply 15 layers, I apply three or four to start with and never wash it - just rub with salt and a paper towel, to remove any crusty bits (soak only if necessary, but never use detergent, rub lightly with a soft sponge, then dry), apply then a thin layer of oil before putting it away. Nothing before 4m52s is necessary:

And the same goes for proper cast iron casseroles and woks.

Reactions: pentiumofborg

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I just buy the cheapo £1 jars ...
I put it on my Weetabix ....
I put some in my chicken...
a big dob of your favourite ketchup...
in a teflon frying pan ....

I invented this myself, so I don't have a name for it. I need some suggestions.
How about
"Dave's Perfluorooctanoic acid autoimmune destroyer"

Kind of rolls off the tongue don't you think ? (almost as easily as those toxins roll off the teflon flying pan :) )

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
If the extraction and settling is raw/coarse sieved then one gets added extras like fine wax and larger pollen particles...
The wife was telling me the other week about a fascinating study where they found that eating honey could reduce or eliminate allergy symptoms in people who suffered from things like hay fever.
BUT
This only worked when the honey they ate was produced locally - where the bees were collecting the same pollen that was causing the problems in the first place.
Interesting eh?

Reactions: Scorpio
D

Deleted member 33385

The question is though, how useful are government guideline RDA numbers ?

(and in general .... not just for VitD)

Who knows? If I can't find a low dosage, I split vitamin/mineral pills.

It's best to avoid pills like these, which have been overdosing people since 1947-ish:

...and nearly all protein shakes are overloaded with far too much and far too many vitamins and minerals.