Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY

RetiredAndRolling

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2019
RG24
Has anyone had shingles PHN? , I'm 73, it started 3 weeks ago and it's a nightmare.
Thing is ,I'm fit, so haven't been to the doctors for some years thus I was unaware
that for the over 70 s there is a free jab. I WOULD URGE people to get this jab,
post herpetic neuralgia is painfull. I've lost over a stone doing nothing and of course miss Ebikeing.
My second Pfizer vaccination triggered shingles and De Puytrens syndrome. Shingles was identified and treated rapidly so was over and done with fairly quickly. The Depuytrens bump has stabilised and I hardly notice it now.

My COVID booster vaccination had no side effects and when I eventually got COVID I recovered without fuss at home.

• Informative
Reactions: oyster and POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Has anyone had shingles PHN? , I'm 73, it started 3 weeks ago and it's a nightmare.
Thing is ,I'm fit, so haven't been to the doctors for some years thus I was unaware
that for the over 70 s there is a free jab. I WOULD URGE people to get this jab,
post herpetic neuralgia is painfull. I've lost over a stone doing nothing and of course miss Ebikeing.
Yes.

Two AstraZeneca vaccines - no significant issues.
Mid-November Pfizer as booster - no significant issues at the time.
Early December - had some odd discomfort in my neck. Not bad enough to call pain. I went to GP to get examined in case it was related to my thyroid - as I take levothyroxine and the locations affected were similar to what I have previously felt.

Early January, one evening I started to feel an itchy neck. By the end of the evening I had felt a raised bump or two - and initially suspected some sort of insect bite.
Next day, it was clear I had a problem. Diagnosed as shingles on phone to GP, prescribed aciclovir and Zapain.
Rapidly got worse. Almost no sleep due to pain. After a few days, it looked really nasty - as if another infection was getting started. Saw GP and got antibiotic to address that.
Over a month before the rash really seemed to have resolved. But some of the pain continued - as it still does. Clothing near my neck was almost unbearable for ages.
Taking amitriptyline (25) at night. And Capsaicin cream up to four times a day. And CDB oil and balm. Now it is a continuing source of itch, occasional stabbing pain.

I agree - get a shingles vaccination if you can.

I knew it was unpleasant. Just had no idea how bad the impact - 24 hours a day. For weeks. Followed by seemingly never-ending lower level pain.

Now to get back to where I came in. I am suspicious that the Pfizer vaccine triggered it. I asked my GP and she did not dismiss it. Did do a Yellow Card report (which I encourage everyone to do if they have issues with a medicine).

There are sufficient mentions to make it appear possible - but too few to prove it.

• Informative
Reactions: POLLY and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes.

Two AstraZeneca vaccines - no significant issues.
Mid-November Pfizer as booster - no significant issues at the time.
Early December - had some odd discomfort in my neck. Not bad enough to call pain. I went to GP to get examined in case it was related to my thyroid - as I take levothyroxine and the locations affected were similar to what I have previously felt.

Early January, one evening I started to feel an itchy neck. By the end of the evening I had felt a raised bump or two - and initially suspected some sort of insect bite.
Next day, it was clear I had a problem. Diagnosed as shingles on phone to GP, prescribed aciclovir and Zapain.
Rapidly got worse. Almost no sleep due to pain. After a few days, it looked really nasty - as if another infection was getting started. Saw GP and got antibiotic to address that.
Over a month before the rash really seemed to have resolved. But some of the pain continued - as it still does. Clothing near my neck was almost unbearable for ages.
Taking amitriptyline (25) at night. And Capsaicin cream up to four times a day. And CDB oil and balm. Now it is a continuing source of itch, occasional stabbing pain.

I agree - get a shingles vaccination if you can.

I knew it was unpleasant. Just had no idea how bad the impact - 24 hours a day. For weeks. Followed by seemingly never-ending lower level pain.

Now to get back to where I came in. I am suspicious that the Pfizer vaccine triggered it. I asked my GP and she did not dismiss it. Did do a Yellow Card report (which I encourage everyone to do if they have issues with a medicine).

There are sufficient mentions to make it appear possible - but too few to prove it.
That sounds horrendous! Can you sue the government for intense physical suffering? The only reactions I had were with the first AZ vaccine shot (I later discovered that it was the Indian batch, the pre-approval version): a prolonged headache on the left side of my head lasting a few days, and a sudden fever which lasted a few minutes. A welcome side-effect was my Windows computer stopped crashing. I expect they'll be developing mRNA vaccines or treatments for herpes zoster, which might of course cause other unforseen side effects... Fears of widespread immune disorders as a result of covid vaccines, has so far been unjustified?

COVID-19 May Increase Your Risk for Shingles

I had no idea it was so popular:

Shingles: ‘One in three adults will develop shingles in their lifetime’

Last edited:
Reactions: oyster

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This health related news is very exciting - AI designs enzyme which breaks down plastic within hours or days :oops:

Maybe they can use it to recycle the Great Pacific Garbage Patch?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oyster

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Tomorrow then?

"This rate is expected to allow the BA.5 to go from currently being about 37% of all Covid-19 cases in Portugal to the being the dominant “alpha-dog” variant in the country by May 22, 2022"

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Your liver is ony three years old :oops: