Cycling in icy/snowy conditions

Sep 13, 2020
Does anybody attempt it? If so, how do you get on and how can you avoid going over?

A few weeks ago my wheels went from under me while cornering slowly on a frosty patch of smooth ground. Hurt leg slightly, but fortunately nothing worse.

Then a week or so back I tried cycling in the snow - which was ok as long as the snow was undisturbed, but as soon as I cycled into a rutted or partially rutted bit, where the cars had been, I found myself having great difficulty keeping control and had to give up and return home.

Any tips, or should you not ride at all in these conditions?

Asking especially as freezing snowy conditions are forecasted from Sunday onwards.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, I use Schwalbe winter tyres, deflate them 10psi than max tyre pressure i.e from 65psi to 55psi.

They work in snow / light ice, if thick ice you need their spiked tyre.

They are heavy though, I up my keep current to 70% on my BBS02 when using them.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I've cycled once this year. I took the back roads, thinking I would ease myself back into things after the Christmas break. But the road hadn't been salted. Got to a bend and it was like an ice rink and went straight off. landed heavily on the handle bars and cracked some ribs. So I'm waiting for the warmer weather.

I don't mind cycling on fresh snow, but ice is a nightmare.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I've cycled once this year. I took the back roads, thinking I would ease myself back into things after the Christmas break. But the road hadn't been salted. Got to a bend and it was like an ice rink and went straight off. landed heavily on the handle bars and cracked some ribs. So I'm waiting for the warmer weather.

I use Schwalbe Ice Spikers which don't slip on ice and hard packed snow.
Frozen deep ruts though are pretty dodgy and will take your front wheel off sideways.
You can get away with just one on the front wheel which is how I started but best if fitted to both wheels.
I've been using them for a few years and find them easier and safer than walking20201228_150310.jpg20210201_121819.jpg

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I use Schwalbe Ice Spikers which don't slip on ice and hard packed snow.
Frozen deep ruts though are pretty dodgy and will take your front wheel off sideways.
You can get away with just one on the front wheel which is how I started but best if fitted to both wheels.
I've been using them for a few years and find them easier and safer than walkingView attachment 40649View attachment 40650
What are they like on tarmac? Where we are it's rare to get any snow and there's only ice on the road when the council haven't gritted.

For some reason I also don't feel confident on slippery surfaces on one of my bikes, whereas my other bike feels a lot more stable. Not sure why that should be.

Looks like we'll be getting a fair bit of snow tomorrow...

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
They are okay on tarmac though a bit noisy, they sound like you're riding over breakfast cereal.
I guess the tungsten spikes will wear more quickly but the huge grip gives the confidence to ride over ice without fear of sliding on bends or under braking.
It's best to make sure that when you dismount it's on a non icy patch as you tend to forget how slippy it really is.
In the second picture the road looks clear but it was around minus 7c and there was lot of black ice out of the sun.
I have them fitted to my hub drive bike for the winter and only use them during icy weather which is quite often the case in these parts.
If you are only riding on tarmac an ice spiker on the front would perhaps be enough so a spare front wheel may be the best system, one that's easy to swap to suit the weather, it's almost always the front end that slides and then you're on the ground.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I use the winter tyres in cycle paths both on tracks and tarmac, they are fine. Care has to be taken going over pavement slabs, just go at a low speed. As mentioned, they do sound like Rice Krispies, I have not tried the spiker tyres as the winter tyres are sufficient for my needs. They are the usual marathon pain to put on just have tea and cable ties handy. I know somebody who bought a cheap spare pair of wheels and fitted these as to use when needed.

Attachments

Last edited:

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
Yes, I do. As an MTB trainer it's one of the few opportunities to practice certain recovery techniques. It'll be counter-intuitive to the untrained, but riding clipped in gives you better control and allows slides to be recovered by pulling on the inside pedal ina manner that simply isn't possible on platform pedals (it's something that really needs demonstrating tather than describing).

Apart from which, if I only rode a bike in good weather in the UK I'd hardly ride at all.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Years ago I wouldn't have thought twice about it. I used to live in a country where -15 C was normal in the winter. I carried on cycling and I didn't have winter tyres or studded tyres. I had boots I screwed home made studs into and if I was about to lose grip I'd quickly stick a boot down and recover- most of the time. I did bash my knees a few times and eventually I started wearing knee protectors as worn by in line skaters. The skin freezing on your face was another thing you had to look out for.

Sep 13, 2020

Yes, that's the problem. Round here the main roads were clear, it was just the estate roads and shared pathways that were an issue.

Great suggestion from others about the spiked tyres, but I reckon I'll just leave it until the cold spell is over. Safer that way.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: D C
Sep 13, 2020
Years ago I wouldn't have thought twice about it. I used to live in a country where -15 C was normal in the winter. I carried on cycling and I didn't have winter tyres or studded tyres. I had boots I screwed home made studs into and if I was about to lose grip I'd quickly stick a boot down and recover- most of the time. I did bash my knees a few times and eventually I started wearing knee protectors as worn by in line skaters. The skin freezing on your face was another thing you had to look out for.
Yep, I've noticed that even at just above freezing point. The air may be calm when standing still, but as soon as you start cycling there's an increasing windchill factor. So decent thick clothing and gloves are essential. Plus maybe a balaclava to protect your face.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
global warming needs to fkn hurry up :confused: