Cycling in the Rain!!!

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
So the latest addition to my winter collection arrived:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MENS-SNOW-BOOTS-WINTER-WATERPROOF-MUCKER-THERMAL-WELLINGTONS-FUR-SKI-BOOTS-7-12/141818422648?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=440923759181&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And I can report that 50% of the boots I received are completely watertight!

I was cycling home last night in a light rain, nothing to heavy and when I was half way home I could feel water in my left boot. It seems to be getting in at the join and the top of the foot, where the two materials join together.

I've emailed the seller to see what they'll do for for but I'm also thinking that spraying theme with a waterproof coating might also do the trick!

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
So the latest addition to my winter collection arrived:
And I can report that 50% of the boots I received are completely watertight!
I was cycling home last night in a light rain, nothing to heavy and when I was half way home I could feel water in my left boot. It seems to be getting in at the join and the top of the foot, where the two materials join together.

I've emailed the seller to see what they'll do for for but I'm also thinking that spraying theme with a waterproof coating might also do the trick!
I bought some the same from a local walking shop and found out yesterday they are not waterproof above the foot area too.
I think this is because they are for walking in snow where they only need the lower part waterproofed and above the ankle parts warm padded.
I am also going to spray waterproofer spray around the outside of the padded area to try.

Pylon37

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 2, 2017
Glasgow
I use an enduroguard mudguard on the front - its a short cable tie attached guard but it works pretty well- that said I change my shoes when I get to work anyway.

In terms of eye protection I wear my regular glasses in the dark otherwise a decathlon cycling glasses fully tinted in the sun and yellow tint any other time. Good tip is to wear a cycling cap under your helmet, keeps your head a bit drier and more comfy and it stops the rain getting behind your glasses and misting up.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You might want to stick a bit of tape over the edge of the visor in the nose area... My Casco has a foam strip there and it touches my nose.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
"As it only for commuting I thought it might be a bit overkill...plus I bet its pricey.
.... I'm based in Northern Ireland where ebikes are considered motorbikes I thought a motorbike helmet might be sending the wrong message!! LOL"

Im in the south with same weather, so i use Lidl scooter helmet with full clear visor, bought in uk for £25 i think. Need it with d cold. Would like tinted in d summer, remember that week?:D

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
I bought some the same from a local walking shop and found out yesterday they are not waterproof above the foot area too.
I think this is because they are for walking in snow where they only need the lower part waterproofed and above the ankle parts warm padded.
I am also going to spray waterproofer spray around the outside of the padded area to try.
Good call AWOL, I asked the ebay seller directly and they said "only the bottom part of the boot is waterproof" so they are going back for a refund.

Last night I bought these for a tenner:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Mens-Ladies-Dunlop-DEE-WIDE-CALF-Wellingtons-Wellies-Ankle-Rain-Mucker-Boots/112331749591?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=412753695307&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

At least they will be waterproof all the way to the top!

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Sealskins waterproof socks are good, ventile double front cycling trousers and merino wool up top under whatever is waterproof works well for me in all weathers, including ice and snow. :)

mr_s81

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 1, 2017
NI
So.....Hurricane Ophelia.....that's what I'll be cycling home through later...

..I'm sure it'll be a breeze! ;)
No doubt you'll get a tailwind the whole way home! ;-)

Do you record your commute on a camera? Will be interested to see how the bike copes if the wind is as bad as what has been forecast!