Cycling jacket joy and woe

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
After asking the knowledgeable people on here in January I bought some clothing/items for cycling in cold/rain/wind etc. In the end I found an amazing jacket on sale - it was a walking jacket - I bought a mostly white one (to be seen - didn't want dayglo yellow as I dont cycle in the dark). Its a 3-in-one jacket and is windproof and waterproof. The cuffs tighten/loosen with velcro to keep the wind and rain out. The fleece inner can be taken out if its warmer weather. The zip up pockets and giant inside 'map' pocket have been brilliant. The hood toggles either side of head if I want extra protection.

Today however, I was wearing it whilst walking my dogs (wish I hadnt now) and I did it up part way along in bad wind. The main zip got caught on the lining and I broke 2 teeth on the zip. I'm gutted. They don't make anymore of them - there are a couple available on the net but in horrible colours. There are 2 in white but too small for me. Serves me right as I've been saying for months 'I love this jacket, best jacket I've had'. Grrrrr

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
After asking the knowledgeable people on here in January I bought some clothing/items for cycling in cold/rain/wind etc. In the end I found an amazing jacket on sale - it was a walking jacket - I bought a mostly white one (to be seen - didn't want dayglo yellow as I dont cycle in the dark). Its a 3-in-one jacket and is windproof and waterproof. The cuffs tighten/loosen with velcro to keep the wind and rain out. The fleece inner can be taken out if its warmer weather. The zip up pockets and giant inside 'map' pocket have been brilliant. The hood toggles either side of head if I want extra protection.

Today however, I was wearing it whilst walking my dogs (wish I hadnt now) and I did it up part way along in bad wind. The main zip got caught on the lining and I broke 2 teeth on the zip. I'm gutted. They don't make anymore of them - there are a couple available on the net but in horrible colours. There are 2 in white but too small for me. Serves me right as I've been saying for months 'I love this jacket, best jacket I've had'. Grrrrr
Google Visijax ... you won't regret it!

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
How about replacing the broken zip?
Probably do-able for a price especially if you love the jacket and can't buy another like it.
Barry.

Neptune just beat me to it! :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
just get a new zip. Google "alterations" in your area. local dry cleaners or clothes shops (mens suits) will know someone

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Two local laundrettes with repairs & alterations advertisements quoted me £25 and £30 respectively for a replacement zip in my original waterproof cycling jacket. I declined but kept the jacket anyway (Karrimor?) in case something turns up. Very carefully examined zips on various other makes before settling on a discounted Night Vision Evo model which I think is about as good as it gets for regular biking wear.

Indalo

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Ouch! £130 for a hard shell jacket with flashing lights, that's expensive.
Yeah; but you get noticed! I'm the only e-biker in the village. LOL.:p

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Yeah; but you get noticed! I'm the only e-biker in the village. LOL.:p
Yes I had heard Donna :D
( sorry but you DID say at weekends ) LOLOL

Lynda :)