Cycling Poncho's & waterproof trousers

fatboytrig

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
Hi All,
I have done very little research online, to be honest but just looking about, I found this WATERPROOF REFLECTIVE CYCLE CAPE PONCHO SOWESTER | eBay
what do you think?

What are ponchos like to cycle with?
DO they work?
What do you think of this one?
Can you suggest anything better?

I think I like it because it is hi viz and has reflective stuff on it too.

Can anyone suggest any decent waterproof trousers?

I currently have some trousers and a rain jacket which are kind of al right but in a heavy shower and 30 minute commute, I always end up soggy in certain sections...

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Looks like a great Poncho (which are ideal and do work) modelled by a dead dodgy-looking geezer!

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I tried a poncho when I first got an ebike, they are a royal PITA at anything over 10mph as they flap around way too much. I got rid of it quickly and got waterproof trousers.
That said waterproof trousers are also a pain as they get hot and sweaty, I only usually use them if it's raining very hard or sometimes if the temperature is below zero. Usually I find it's more comfortable to get wet.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I've got a cape, it's OK up to about 8mph, but flaps quite a lot. Thing is, it's like a tent so you do not overheat.
Unless your front light is mounted low down, the cape will cover it at night.
Best carried as an emergency. It will get you home slowly but dry.
Think of it like slime in the tubes, it might work, then again.................

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
I used to wear a cape very similar to that (minus reflective stripes) 50 years ago when I was delivering corsets on a Saturday morning from Nellie Perry's ladies' outfitters shop (don't ask!). It definitely worked. In those days ponchos were just stripy rugs with holes in them which people brought back from Spanish holidays.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I used to wear a cape very similar to that (minus reflective stripes) 50 years ago when I was delivering corsets on a Saturday morning from Nellie Perry's ladies' outfitters shop (don't ask!). It definitely worked. In those days ponchos were just stripy rugs with holes in them which people brought back from Spanish holidays.
What do you mean "dont ask"? ... Is she still in business? I for one would be interested in a job like that. Why on earth did you leave? or was there an incident involving a customer and a corset! ...