cycling to the NEC

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I want to go to Motorcycle Live on my pedelec. I have (eventually) got confirmation that I can leave the bike with visitors' motorbikes in the secure Hall 16, but nowhere on the organiser's site or the NEC website is any information about cycling around the complex (ie getting to the halls that are being used). Are there cycleways? If not are cyclists allowed to use the pedestrian walkways? If not how dangerous is it to mix in with the car traffic?
Thanks
Mike

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The cars are all jammed, so it's no problem to cycle around them. The show isn't that big that you need to cycle around it. Just lock up your bike wherever you can and walk the rest.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
The other possibility is to park/lock your bike up at the adjacent railway station and use the dedicated walkway that runs direct into the main NEC hall/foyer entrance. It also avoids all the crazy main roads that lead into the official road entrance to the complex.

Reactions: MikeS

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
That's a thought. There are cycleways shown there on opencyclemap - But I wonder if (expensive) electric bikes get nicked from a railway station?
Mike

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
That's a thought. There are cycleways shown there on opencyclemap - But I wonder if (expensive) electric bikes get nicked from a railway station?
That's a risk we all take. But Birmingham International Station usually attracts a "better class" of show attending traveller that don't usually carry bolt-cutters under their jackets! The cycle racks are adjacent the main station building with plenty of passers-by. If you're not comfortable with it, you can always cycle on into the NEC.

Station layout: