Cyclomatic

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Will they fall to pieces in a year? Thinking of buying a secondhand one as I need a new bike anyway. I expect I just need a new transmission system on a 15 year old bike though.

What problems can I expect?

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Will they fall to pieces in a year? Thinking of buying a secondhand one as I need a new bike anyway. I expect I just need a new transmission system on a 15 year old bike though.

The biggest issue will be the battery. Lithium batteries deteriorate with age, so if it's a few years old, don't expect to get a great deal of miles out of it before the battery runs out of juice.

If you can test ride the bike, then excellent. If not, proceed with caution.
Nothing worse than receiving your pride and joy, for it to only last 2 miles under power.

The rest of the bike is pretty standard affair, but can be easily maintained with basic DIY skills.

They are actually a pretty decent bike if bought brand new, and you would have the peace of mind of a one year warranty from Sports HQ.

Many members own or have owned one, so there's no shortage of info on the Cyclamatic ;)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I remember receiving a massive discount when I bought mine a few years ago, and ended up paying something like £400.

Sports HQ always seem to have them on offer, it's just a case of waiting for the deals to come out.

Like anything made in China at such a low price, you get your good ones and sometimes a bad one will slip through QC.
For a first time bike, I was well happy with it. If you want a better bike, unfortunately you'll have to spend a bit more wonga.

Reactions: Perseus

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I remember receiving a massive discount when I bought mine a few years ago, and ended up paying something like £400.

Sports HQ always seem to have them on offer, it's just a case of waiting for the deals to come out.

Like anything made in China at such a low price, you get your good ones and sometimes a bad one will slip through QC.
For a first time bike, I was well happy with it. If you want a better bike, unfortunately you'll have to spend a bit more wonga.
Have you still got it running?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Have you still got it running?
No, It's long gone now. I initially bought it as a back up to the car for work.
After a few test rides out, the electric bike bug bit and I ended up riding it for a bit of fun on my days off instead.

I carried out a few changes during its lifetime, such as increasing the original controller's available amps with a shunt mod, then changing the controller and battery to 36 volts. The original is 24 volts!

It served me well whilst I was learning about electric bike components, and thanks to this forum, have never looked back.

There are better factory built bikes out there, but as I say, I got a bargain. If you manage to catch a Sports HQ 20% off deal, then it makes for a very cost effective first bike ;)

Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I have one and last used it in October just to keep it going.
Its a bit of a heap with a couple of broken spokes in the buckled rear wheel and the brakes are a bit naff.
The gears dont work at present as the cable is frayed.
It struggles uphills but I do weigh 17 stone.
The battery however is in good condition and still holds a full charge.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Its a bit of a heap with a couple of broken spokes in the buckled rear wheel and the brakes are a bit naff.
I remember that the rear band type brake, was prone to locking the rear wheel, particularly in wet and slippery conditions.

Not the progressive braking that modern hydraulic brakes offer, but the Cyclamatic was never designed to be a performance bike. Ideally suited to the daily commute and nothing more.

Bet yours got a good workout though Kinninvie :D

Reactions: Kinninvie

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012

Hi mate, if you are looking for a good cheap starter bike might be worth a look in the classifieds on this site.I am selling my wife's Juicybike which has probably only done about 3 to 4 hundred miles and in excellent condition

Regards gray

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Hi mate, if you are looking for a good cheap starter bike might be worth a look in the classifieds on this site.I am selling my wife's Juicybike which has probably only done about 3 to 4 hundred miles and in excellent condition

Regards gray
Too late. I bought the Cyclamatic.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shoreham/23775396574/in/dateposted-public/

I ran out of juice on this outing (after charging) after five miles all uphill, but then after a break, I was able restart the electrical assistance. It wasn't too bad for cycling w/o assistance and this might even be best in traffic. Saddle needs to be changed. Throttle really appreciated. Bike wasn't very stable on poor road surfaces, a bit unnerving, but the road and path surfaces were muddy and had been slightly dangerous even on ordinary bikes.

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Too late. I bought the Cyclamatic. Bike wasn't very stable on poor road surfaces, a bit unnerving, but the road and path surfaces were muddy and had been slightly dangerous even on ordinary bikes.
Treat yourself to some Schwalbe Land Cruiser Plus tyres:

http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/tour-reader/land-cruiser-plus.html

They are a nice compromise between low rolling resistance on the road, grip on muddy surfaces and cost. They also give piece of mind for puncture protection.

Make sure you get the new Plus version, as it has better puncture protection than the older version (level 5 vs 3), and it has a new improved tread design. They've also added a reflective strip around the rim for safety.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Treat yourself to some Schwalbe Land Cruiser Plus tyres:

http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/tour-reader/land-cruiser-plus.html

They are a nice compromise between low rolling resistance on the road, grip on muddy surfaces and cost. They also give piece of mind for puncture protection.

Make sure you get the new Plus version, as it has better puncture protection than the older version (level 5 vs 3), and it has a new improved tread design. They've also added a reflective strip around the rim for safety.
Tyres look new. Made in China. I have Schwalbe Marathon on my current pedal bike and I think they are the best. Saddle chnage is first change. Nopt sure which one. Velo saddle is quite good on one of my other bikes.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Tyres look new. Made in China. I have Schwalbe Marathon on my current pedal bike and I think they are the best. Saddle chnage is first change. Nopt sure which one. Velo saddle is quite good on one of my other bikes.
What you've got to think about with the Cyclamatic, which is something I forgot to mention before, is that the rear wheel is a pig to remove in the event of a puncture.

I seem to remember having to faff about removing the band brake bracket and cable, before the wheel could be removed. Also, it's not quick release.

A puncture away from home could turn into a nightmare, so it might be an idea to have puncture resistant tyres on. On the rear at least ;)

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
What you've got to think about with the Cyclamatic, which is something I forgot to mention before, is that the rear wheel is a pig to remove in the event of a puncture.

I seem to remember having to faff about removing the band brake bracket and cable, before the wheel could be removed. Also, it's not quick release.

A puncture away from home could turn into a nightmare, so it might be an idea to have puncture resistant tyres on. On the rear at least ;)
This is why I bought cheap to see a few problems and whether I like ebikes. Tyres don't look too bad quality (although it is not really easy to see for sure). As it is probably awkward to change, I probably won't. Non quick release means I can use the trailer with the axle connector. This will be useful for heavy weights (30 kg) short distance (better than my Pashley probably). I didn't take my puncture repair kit on my test ride. It was only going to short but the hill cilmbing was so much easier going that I went further than I planned. If I was younger (I am over 60) I don't think I would have got an ebike as the hills are not really a problem when younger.