Cyclone 24v 500w crank drive kit report after 2+ years use

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
Hi thought I would feed back to you all for those who are interested in crank drive kits. I have been using a 24v kit with headway 15ah cells from eclipse bikes on my mountain bike for a couple of years now and overall I have been impressed with its reliability, speed, hill climbing ability and strength. One trip I had a guitar on my back, two panniers full and a trailer with 80 young trees as a load, other trips have included two 20kg sacks of chicken feed in the trailer. Even taking loads like this up cornish hills it has coped well.

I found the motor and gearbox needed some extra sealant around the cable entry point for use in bad weather, and the handlebar throttle unit has needed some extra sealant for use in heavy rain. I also put a little car gearbox oil into the motor gearbox which I think has been a good idea, and attached the optional motor cooling fins.
The motor is noisier than some, but the kit without a battery is just over £250 which makes it a good powerful budget crank drive, sometimes the motor noise is helpful on cycle paths to let pedestrians know you are coming!

Reactions: Mikes1992