Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2008
Reviewer: Gary Gadget

Purchased From: EBay - Canada
Purchase Price: £200:00

Time Owned: 5 months

Local Terrain: Moderate Hills

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths: This Kit can be added to your bike as long as it has a 72mm gap between rear wheel and seat post , or as I have done brought a new Carrera 2 bike and fitted it to that (gets me a 8 speed dual disc quality EBike for £450). Easy to fit with basic tools and a handy step by step how-to picture show on the web site. Very good up hills and very fast on the flat. You can use your own batteries as I have done - 2 x 12 volt 7.2 Amp which gives me an easy 6 mile range and charges in an hour and a half, cost me £39 and should last for 1200 recharge cycles with the 40% DOD I have and is perfect for my 3 mile commute. If you need more range, just fit larger capacity batteries. But remember the weight will be a factor so you might have to buy more expensive NIMH or LITHIUM ones.

Weaknesses: This is a bit noisier than my old Wisper and I had to water proof the cable entry to the motor as the supplied cable boot was a bit loose. You need to use the gears - none of this pulling away in top with the hub motor malarkey! But when you get the hang of it I think it makes for a more satisfying ride. Some electrical know how required for the batteries / charger and fuse protection.

Summary: Good quality parts and throttle assembly, easy instructions to make a high quality inexpensive and very fast bike. Loads better than most of the China imports around and a third of the cost. Seems really reliable so far and great fun.

Overall Rating (out of 10) : 9.5