Help! Cyclotricity Speed Settings

Jakeo1989

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 13, 2019
Hello, I recently installed a Cyclotricity 250w eKit to my bike and it works great, however I am unable to adjust it's maximum speed. I know the limit is 25km/h but this bike easy hits 36km/h and it drains the battery really fast. Following these instructions-
https://www.cyclotricity.com/support-files/eKit LED Dashboard User Manual 3rd edition.pdf
-I am able to get the indicators to flash however pressing the mentioned buttons has no effect. Are these instructions wrong or am I just really stupid? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (I only have the LED panel).

Last edited:

Teemanster

Just Joined
Apr 13, 2019
Here is what I was sent for my 1000w cyclotricity stealth. It is not the same size motor but I presume it will work as the peripheral s are the same.

Here are the instructions for de-restricting the 1000W motors:

1. If the LCD is on, switch it off and on again.
  2. As soon as it comes on, press the up and down arrows simultaneously for a few seconds. This will take you to the advanced settings (where you can set the maximum speed, wheel size and kph/mph settings). Move from one setting to the other by pressing the on/off button.
  3. Once you’ve passed the kph/mph setting and it stops flashing, press the up and down buttons simultaneously again. This will take you into the motor parameters (P1, P2, P3, P4, P5 and P6).

1000W Motor Code:

To de-restrict the 1000W motor, the parameters should be set to the following:

P1=46
P2=0
P3=1
P4=0
P5=15
P6=99

To restrict the motor back to the 250W mode, please set the parameters to the following:

P1=46
P2=0
P3=1
P4=0
P5=15
P6= anything other than 99

Please note that you MUST strictly adhere to these two combinations only. Any other variations to the parameters could potentially end up burning your motor and void the warranty.

Reactions: skunkyman

Jakeo1989

Apr 13, 2019
I wasn't able to afford the LCD panel and only have the LED one. Cyclotricity do have instructions for it but they don't seem to work.

Musicgolfpro

Just Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Hello,
does anyone know the de-restriction codes for the Cyclotricity 250/500w kit please. Despite signing their terms and conditions ages ago I never received the codes and realise now that it isn't just a simple matter of changing the speed limit....!
many thanks.

Zoi

Aug 4, 2019
Jakeo,
I had the same problem but managed to sort it by chance.
The problem is that the default limiter speed must be set quite high, very much higher than the 33km/h maximum shown on the speedometer.
This means you have to press the mode button many times before the decrease in the speed limit shows on the speedometer. Can't say how many times, maybe 20+, just keep pressing and it will eventually show !!
Not impressed with Cyclotricity's documentation ; and service, but that's another horror story.

skunkyman

Jul 4, 2020
I recently bought an second hand cyclotricity stealth 250/1000w, the owner said he'd had it chipped. He explained that it came restricted and he had his local bike shop unlock it for him & it was now permanently locked in the 1000w setting. I honestly don't know what the bike shop has done as you can no longer change it back to 250w. I followed all the instructions but the settings in the LCD display are no longer there, i suppose the easiest thing i can do is buy another display. Apart from that the bike goes rather well, stick it in assist level 5 & watch the battery indicator drop from full to empty in around 15 miles. I won't be riding it on the road now until i get it fixed meanwhile i have my other bike a Carrera Subway e 250w (legal) to get me out & about that's as long as that trouble sum Suntour HESC torque sensor doesn't break. The torque sensor is a design problem/fault yet suntour is dragging it's heals, i spoke to a Carrera ebike owner yesterday that's had six torque sensors break on him and one chain ring (HESC) £250.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There's no way to "chip" a Cyclotricity. possibly, they swapped out the Cyclotricity special software controller and or LCD for a standard one that doesn't have the restricted setting.

The Cyclotricity has a setting to switch between the 250w mode and 1000w mode. It limits the current to 15A and the speed to 15 mph, so there would have been no need to "chip" it. You can do that with the standard controller too in the normal settings. Show us what LCD you have.

skunkyman

Jul 4, 2020
I'm currently cleaning my stealth & replacing a few bits & connecting connections which is why it appears in this state. I followed the instructions press the up and down arrows simultaneously for a few seconds to get into the advanced settings for wheel size, mph kph speed, then if you press the up & down arrows for a second time it stays the same. I'm thinking of buying the 250/500w kit as i have a rack battery 36v 17 amp off my last project. That way i get a slightly more usable bike & a slightly longer range, though i would be interested on your thoughts.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You might have a compatibility issue between the LCD and the controller. As I said, the Cyclotricity kit has a special software version. Both speed and power are involved in that version. You probably now have the standard controller. Even if your LCD was a standard one, it can only access settings as far as P5, not the one for current.

Without any compatibility issues, you should be able to change the max speed, which is in the basic settings, not the advanced settings:

It's probable that you can solve everything by buying an LCD3, which gives access to all settings. I can't be certain because I don't know what the guy did when he "chipped" your bike. It might not even be a KT controller. Does it say KT on the label or etched markings?

skunkyman

Jul 4, 2020
Thanks for the help it's gratefully appreciated, i haven't had a chance to check the controller yet but i have a look later & get back to you. Thanks for the link as well, I'll download that and sit it in my folder for stealth. My respects rob

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Cyclotricity although they use KT electronics, it isn't the std software programmed stuff we all buy. KT offer custom settings for third party sellers so they have the dual mode controllers that can only be configured by the same looking but software modified LCD's.
As vfr says any std KT stuff used will only mean the 250w rating is accessed.
The shop might have changed the access code or locked the code in the advance settings, these can't be accessed at all using a KT lcd1 or 2 model afaik as they only have the basic settings & P settings menu.