Cyclotricity Stealth...no PAS but throttle ok??

PH001

Pedelecer
May 18, 2016
Harrogate, N. Yorks
Went out for a quick ride this evening but noticed immediately as I set off that the pedal assist not working? Throttle does but doesn't seem as analogue as normal, its like its just on or off.

Was fine when I returned home yesterday. Battery has plenty of charge and the magnetic disc and pickup on the crank all look fine and in good alignment.

Only thing I have done since yesterday is disconnect and reconnect brake switch connector. That bit all seems to work fine though (i.e motor cuts when brake pulled). I'm at a loss.

Any ideas of what to check?

PH001

Pedelecer
May 18, 2016
Harrogate, N. Yorks
Update on this for reference. The problem seems to be caused by the replacement brake switch. I tried using a reed switch and magnet to maintain the motor cut on a set of shimano hydraulics, but for some strange reason the reed switch confuses the controller and stops the PAS working.

Can't quite figure out why. The voltage is only 5V and I can't imagine the current is anything more than a few mA. (reed switch is rated at 30Vdc, 0.5A)

The read switch measures completely open on a multimeter with the brake lever not pulled but when you connect the wiring the pas doesn't work. Disconnect the wiring and all is fine.

There must be some reason why the reed switch is not performing the same as the OEM switch but I'm still trying to figure it out.

644.jpg 649.jpg 654.jpg 661.jpg

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
That's why d8veh is missed so much for his great knowledge of ebikes,
he would have answered this in minutes, cant understand why he left the forum

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
That's why d8veh is missed so much for his great knowledge of ebikes,
he would have answered this in minutes, cant understand why he left the forum
Because it wavered from its true format into back biting hostileies.
He would have been appalled at the Brexit goings on.

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
Because it wavered from its true format into back biting hostileies.
He would have been appalled at the Brexit goings on.
That will be a tragedy for this country, but was expected, due to the way the northern counties, and the ex mining communities have been treated by this government," second class citizens".

• Disagree
Reactions: tommie
D

Deleted member 4366

I've used reed switches before, and they worked without problems. My first thoughts are to go for the simple things first. Is it on the right connector?

Some controllers have high voltage brake connectors a s well as low voltage ones. On high voltage ones, the signal wire is held at zero volts and pulled up to 5v when the switch operates. low voltage ones are the other way round, where the signal wire is held at 5v and pulled down to ground by the brake switch.

If it's on the right connector, then there must be some problem with the signal. It could be that there's something faulty in the controller, like the signal wire is soldered to the wrong pad. One thing you could try is to make sure that the signal wire stays at 5v when the switch is open by connecting a 5k resistor between the signal wire and any 5v position on the PCB.

Perhaps you could show some pictures of your connectors?

Can you confirm that both the PAS and throttle work normally when the brake switch is not connected.

• Informative
Reactions: IR772

PH001

Pedelecer
May 18, 2016
Harrogate, N. Yorks
Thanks for the reply. Definitely right connectors as I'm unplugging the old mechanical brakes from them and plugging the reed switched in.

It doesn't make any sense really. There are only 2 pins which are simply shorted when the brake level is pressed (or in my case when the magnet comes into proximity with the reed switch).

The reed switch measures open circuit with my multimeter with no magnet present but as soon as you plug this into the connector it screws up the PAS and the throttle does not work properly. Plug the old brakes back in with the mechanical switch and it works fine. Go figure!