Cytronex - calling Aldby/John

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Hi John, I see in HarryB's thread that you commented that the performance of the Bionx is better than the Cytronex - if I read right. I've had a 350W Li-ion Bionx for a few years and wouldn't be without it, but have been intrigued by the Cytronex. I'm not actually in the market for one, but it does interest me and wondered if you'd care to let me know a little comparison of each bike's strenghts and weaknesses, as you see them.

I'd add that I'm not trying to proclaim the Bionx as the best, or knock any other setups, I'm just genuinely interested in how these two bikes compare.

Thanks for your time.

Nick

C

Cyclezee

Hi Nick,

It is now well over a year since I sold my Cytronex Trek which was the first model marketed by Cytronex and is now discontinued. As you will be aware Cytronex have introduced several new models and upgraded the controls.
TheTrek 7.3FX hybrid is an excellent bike and the Cytronex conversion was very neat, discreate and lightweight. From my recollection it had the 160w version of Tongxin motor with 2 power levels activated by buttons on the tips of the bar end extensions. With no pedal sensor the assistance is independant of rider input. The high power setting took the bike to 16mph on the flat unassisted. The HiMh bottle battery is very neat, but range is fairly limited if you use power constantly. However, a spare battery can be easily carried with a second bottle cage. I had no problems with the Cytronex during my ownership and was able to ride it without power fairly easily as there was little drag from the motor.
I did however come to the conclusion that the Cytronex is really for relatively fit cyclists who only need a little assistance or occasional boost and did not entirely suited my needs.

My Bionx PL350 kit, sourced second hand from the UK came quite a while after I sold the Cytronex. I spent quite a while choosing a suitable bike to install it on and set a limit of £250 on the bike which had to have 26" wheels to match my kit. After looking at several used bikes I opted for a Carrera Vulcan MTB with disc brakes and 8 speed SRAM gears, which at the time cost £249 from Halfords. For the money it is a good bike.
Installing the kit was fairly straight forward. I changed the 7 speed freewheel for an 8 speed 11 to 32 tooth and replaced the hideous front wheel with one which matches the rear Bionx rim very closely and changed the cheap tyres for much less knobly Kendas which I had lying around, but will probably replace with Schwalbe M+ sometime.

As you will know the Bionx PL 350 is very sophisticated, powerful and has a lot of codes which allow the rider to customise settings. It is very easy to use, simply press one button to switch on the power, and another to choose which of the 4 power settings you want then just pedal and away you go.

To sum up, the 2 systems are quite different, for me the Bionx is an excellent and reliable system which, not surprisingly, is much more powerful than the Cytronex and offers the rider as much or little assistace they might require.
The Bionx is anything but discrete, something that doesn't bother me in the slightest.
I feel the Cytronex is aimed at a niche market who want a bike that doesn't look electric and is capable of providing a bit of occasional assistance.

J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I agree with what John says about the cytronex having covered about 2800 miles on mine. I would add that Tongxin reduced the power of their lower rpm motors sometime after the Trek 7.3 was introduced. I had a motor change and there was a noticeable drop in power and even top speed - none of the cytronexes I have ridden since have felt as powerful as the original. This isn't much of a problem as as John says it for the fit cyclist who wants a bit of help on the hills but you will notice a dramatic reduction in power compared to your Bionx bike. I was quite shocked at the difference in acceleration when I road tested the Trek FX Plus the other day.

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Thanks for that, very interesting.

As an aside, I've seen a couple of comments along the lines of the BionX kit not being discrete which, compared to the Cytonex I'd agree with, but when it's compared to most other ebikes, I'm not so sure - can't say I'm bothered though, but people's perceptions are always interesting.

Cheers
Nick

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Thanks for that, very interesting.

As an aside, I've seen a couple of comments along the lines of the BionX kit not being discrete which, compared to the Cytonex I'd agree with, but when it's compared to most other ebikes, I'm not so sure - can't say I'm bothered though, but people's perceptions are always interesting.

Cheers
Nick

Yes, the Cytronex is probably as good as it gets for stealth. First the nano - even the guys in the bike shop where I had it serviced thought it was some sort of dynamo. Second, the battery looks like a bottle. Third the wiring is really neat and well hidden. 4th It is a standard production bike. I've had people inspect the bike close up and be surprised when I told them it was electric.

The Bionx looks good to me. The only thing I've never taken to is that Bionx battery..

I agree pretty much with everything Aldby & Harry have said about the Cytronex. I'm 12 stone and I only do about 1800 miles a year and it really suits my needs. The power is enough for me. Whether the later models, with pedelec only, have less oomphhh is something Cytronex could perhaps comment on.

I believe Cytronex experimented with Bionx in the development days. I recall them clearing out a Trek conversion on ebay last year. I expect cost was one issue since when they launched in 2008 their intention was to keep the bikes price under £1K.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

I believe Cytronex experimented with Bionx in the development days. I recall them clearing out a Trek conversion on ebay last year.
Yes I think you are right Barnowl, they were also auctioning a Bionx powered folder too. Maybe it came down to cost as the Tongxin kit would be considerably less than Bionx or else stealth was the ultimate goal.

J:) hn