Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2006
Reviewer: Hal Haines

Model: FX 7.3

Retailer: Modern Times Ltd

Purchase Price: 1000

Time Owned: 4 months

Terrain: Moderate Hills

Strengths: Just like a normal bicycle to ride, light weight. Good integral lights, front and rear. Very reliable, well put together and well thought out electronic components. Reasonable price for what you are getting. Low battery costs in terms of longevity and replacement costs.

Weaknesses: Range limited, finish lacks durability, some problems with the Avid brake set. Cannot "customise" the handlebars because of the integrated switches.

Summary: I have crossed the 1000 mile mark and am very pleased indeed with the Cytronex.

Range - realistically 10 miles in stop start traffic with moderate hills. Others have claimed 20 miles and maybe you could do this by always using the lower of the two speeds - I don't see the point as 10 miles covers most of the journeys most people do and for longer journeys a second battery would be required.

Reliablility - it has got me to work and back with 100% reliability - better than any other electric bike I have owned by far. Let down by the brakes - Avid - they siezed at the first sign of salt spray and cold weather. As they didn't return fully and this left the cut-out switches open, the motor wouldn't cut in (unless the levers were flicked back). I gave up trying to free them and replaced them with super-dooper shimano deore XTs.

Finish - not very durable. Similar to the Ezee Torq and no match for the Kalkhoffs. Paint is easily chipped and the aluminium easily pitted by salt spray.

One thing that I didn't consider when buying is that you are completely fixed with the handlebar configuration. It wouldn't have stopped me buying though. Also I would also like the power and speed buttons swapped. One hand has to do all the gear changing as well as turning the power on. I dare say they could be swapped over but this would invalidate the warranty.

In terms of riding it is just like a normal bike and reasonably quick. I think that A to B are right to say that it is the quickest legal electric bike on the market but still no match for a Torq 1 or even a geared up Kalkhoff.

The battery price was a very reasonable £150 but this has recently gone up to £195. Still as it uses NiMh cells they should last a long time, so overall battery costs are still very good.

Overall Rating: 9