dahon v brompton

Paul Kay

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 2, 2019
the gyration effect is much more noticeable on smaller wheels.
Maybe that's why it doesn't bother me on my 20" wheels, though I have lowered the mounting height a little also so that it's down below the handlebars, nor on my 16" wheels where I've mounted it just above the wheel. But then that is also the versatility of the Swytch kit. There is also a bracket that has been developed within the Swytch Brompton community that mounts the power pack low down.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the benefit of the swytch is to have the LCD integrated into the battery bag.
If you move the bag lower, you lose the accessibility to the LCD.
If you attach the LCD via an LCD extension cable, then of course you can place the bag lower but then you also lose its USP.

Paul Kay

Apr 2, 2019
the benefit of the swytch is to have the LCD integrated into the battery bag.
If you move the bag lower, you lose the accessibility to the LCD.
If you attach the LCD via an LCD extension cable, then of course you can place the bag lower but then you also lose its USP.
I have never needed access to or visibility of the Swytch LCD whilst in motion so don't see it as an important USP. It's USP is the integration with the mounting bracket. During a ride I much prefer to refer to a generic bike dashboard on an old smartphone. The only time the Swytch LCD would be useful, IMO, is when you want to monitor Watts being expended on the go.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It's USP is the integration with the mounting bracket.
I don't get you. Lots of people have integrated all the electronics either inside the downtube battery mounting base or a controller box fitted in front of their rack battery. In case of a folding bike, all the electronics can be integrated in the chainring like this:

The swytch saves only the LCD extension lead, that's its USP.

The bag is just a battery bag. Removing the bag is the same as removing the battery. Plus, unlike the Swytch bag, batteries have lock, you can leave the battery locked in the bike. With the Swytch, you have to carry your battery bag if you leave you bike at a public parking.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Last edited:

Paul Kay

Apr 2, 2019
I don't get you
Clearly. The USP is the ease with which you can remove the greatest part of your ebike investment, the batteries (plus the controller and display), and take them with you. If your bike is stolen you haven't lost that investment. Sure other solutions lock the battery into or onto the frame and when your bike gets nicked your whole investment has gone. Don't get me wrong, I like the look of your bikes, I have one somewhat similar (somewhatish), I just personally prefer the whole concept of Swytch, but can't blame you for fighting your, naturally biased, corner as a Trade Member, and it's great to see how quickly you support your customers in this forum.

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
May I suggest that if you get a chance you try one out. I believe that, from my experience, you will be pleasantly surprised. Especially compared to those Bromptons with 'ginormous front hanging bags on them! Which must be like steering a ballpoint through treacle on a winter's eve.

the ginormous bags fitted to bromptons are mounted on the frame not the handlebars which makes a big difference

the switch kit is on the handlebars

Paul Kay

Apr 2, 2019
the ginormous bags fitted to bromptons are mounted on the frame not the handlebars which makes a big difference

the switch kit is on the handlebars
Aaaahhhh!, my mistake/misunderstanding, I'll slap myself. That makes more sense then, and why the Swytch'd Brompton community have have been able to develop a similar bracket to mount the Swytch Kit

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Clearly. The USP is the ease with which you can remove the greatest part of your ebike investment, the batteries (plus the controller and display), and take them with you. If your bike is stolen you haven't lost that investment. Sure other solutions lock the battery into or onto the frame and when your bike gets nicked your whole investment has gone. Don't get me wrong, I like the look of your bikes, I have one somewhat similar (somewhatish), I just personally prefer the whole concept of Swytch, but can't blame you for fighting your, naturally biased, corner as a Trade Member, and it's great to see how quickly you support your customers in this forum.
for me, this thread is a technical discussion, not a fight.
Swytch and Panda are trade members of the forum, no comparison is intended.

Paul Kay

Apr 2, 2019
for me, this thread is a technical discussion, not a fight.
My apologies Woosh, I didn't expect nor intend 'fight' to be taken in a derogatory sense. I meant it in terms of my expectation that a business would naturally defend their own, in this case technical', decisions, and I was merely explaining and trying to defend my technical decisions. I too only saw this as a technical Discussion NOT a fight. If you ever add something along the lines of the Electra Low-Rider Cruiser to your range, I'll certainly give it serious consideration, Swytch'd or pre-powered by yourselves.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
I have checked out recent reviews of the swytch kit

it does look easy to fit ,but there does seem to have been some issues with it.

Noises coming from front wheel .

communications with the company also seemed to be an issue , although to be fair they did come on this forum and try to resolve problems.

I cannot find out if the problems did get resolved
My motor is very quite to be honest. For the communication yes they need to improve on that. The good thing is they will sort the problem at the end. There is a new campaign coming with small power pack. Worth checking it out.

Reactions: Paul Kay